Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2013, 04:57 PM

1,400 posts, read 1,840,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
Put chickens and goats in the mix, and some people are going to hate the smell.
Neither of which smell if you care for them properly. You must be thinking of corporate farming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2013, 05:38 PM

1,127 posts, read 1,271,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordyLordy View Post
Neither of which smell if you care for them properly. You must be thinking of corporate farming.
But you don't raise chickens, goats and a garden for hundreds of people on 3.6 acres the proper way, now do you?

Old 12-21-2013, 05:54 PM

25,482 posts, read 18,618,666 times
Contrary to popular belief, chicken **** smells bad whether the chickens are in a corporate farm or in a backyard chicken coup--yes, I've had personal experience with this, as I've cleaned many a henhouse back when the dinosaurs roamed the earth. And I think chickens are still chickens and have not evolved since then.

I've met a few people over the years who think their pooh-pooh doesn't stink as well. And contrary to, at least their, belief... it does.

Old 12-21-2013, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Contrary to popular belief, chicken **** smells bad whether the chickens are in a corporate farm or in a backyard chicken coup--yes, I've had personal experience with this, as I've cleaned many a henhouse back when the dinosaurs roamed the earth. And I think chickens are still chickens and have not evolved since then.

I've met a few people over the years who think their pooh-pooh doesn't stink as well. And contrary to, at least their, belief... it does.
That's chicken COOP, dufus. Damn heterographs!

Unless, of course, the chickens are engaged in active revolution and taking over the barnyard.

Old 12-21-2013, 09:41 PM

Quote:

Bulls*it. I clean our coop every day and all the crap goes into a composting pile. While the business of cleaning itself smells (like any other crap), the area does not. Between me and my few neighbors we all have chickens, some more than others and I can't say I EVER smell them. However, we all clean our coops daily. If you are there once a week to clean (by that time you need a shovel), I can see how you would have an odor problem.

Old 12-22-2013, 12:13 AM

Quote:
...While the business of cleaning itself smells (like any other crap)...
Ummm, isn't that what I said? I said crap smells (and jokingly implied that all crap smells). When dee little poopie comes out of the little hinnie, there is a bad smellie. I think your "like any other crap" basically implies the same thing. If you can find any crap from any common creature that doesn't smell bad when oozing from the source, I'll rub your nose in it. (which shouldn't bother you since it doesn't smell)

There is one possibility that I have overlooked. Perhaps your chickens have purchased the new product "Poo-pourri"??? Girls Don’t Poop – Poo~Pourri If so, I stand corrected and apologize profusely. Tell your chickens to carry on. But I will say, if they are using Poo-pourri, they are NOT self-sufficient. They are relying on others to make their **** not stink.

Old 12-22-2013, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Ummm, isn't that what I said? I said crap smells (and jokingly implied that all crap smells). When dee little poopie comes out of the little hinnie, there is a bad smellie. I think your "like any other crap" basically implies the same thing. If you can find any crap from any common creature that doesn't smell bad when oozing from the source, I'll rub your nose in it. (which shouldn't bother you since it doesn't smell)

There is one possibility that I have overlooked. Perhaps your chickens have purchased the new product "Poo-pourri"??? Girls Don’t Poop – Poo~Pourri If so, I stand corrected and apologize profusely. Tell your chickens to carry on. But I will say, if they are using Poo-pourri, they are NOT self-sufficient. They are relying on others to make their **** not stink.
The general comment was that raising chickens will produce a smell and people will complain about it. I said that's not true, if you take care of your chickens, clean them every day - the area will not smell. To that you responded by saying, not true, you have been around chickens a lot and they do smell, to which I replied that if you clean them every day they will not smell....

Old 12-22-2013, 08:52 AM

1,127 posts, read 1,271,577 times
Awww, geez, people! I have chickens, and neighbors. I clean the coop every six months or so, and no complaints from anyone. I simply use a deep litter in the coop, and once or twice a year, I don a mask and remove the litter to the compost pile. Little smell in the coop, none outside, and no daily cleaning. Chickens don't have to be complicated unless you make them so. (I think some of y'all just have to have something to bicker about. Amazing you have the time, what with all that coop cleaning and such.)

Old 12-22-2013, 09:06 AM

Quote:
The general comment was that raising chickens will produce a smell and people will complain about it. I said that's not true, if you take care of your chickens, clean them every day - the area will not smell. To that you responded by saying, not true, you have been around chickens a lot and they do smell, to which I replied that if you clean them every day they will not smell....
Raising chickens WILL produce a smell. The question is how bad a smell. If we are simply stating "produce a smell," I win. There's no way around it. Unless you plug your chickens. But they will die. If we are talking about a smell that will cause the neighbors to have to wear gas masks and that will become a general nuisance in the area, then you win (assuming your premise). There, see, a win-win situation. Nobody's feelings are hurt. Nobody's panties are in a wad. The two little old ladies can both walk away from the argument over the back fence without having their feathers ruffled or needing another little nip of brandy.

Last edited by ChrisC; 12-22-2013 at 09:15 AM..

Old 12-22-2013, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy73 View Post
Awww, geez, people! ... I don a mask and remove the litter to the compost pile. ...
Ah-ha!!!! See, you should have cleaned daily with a scrub brush. No smell--I mean... very little smell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy73 View Post
I think some of y'all just have to have something to bicker about. Amazing you have the time, what with all that coop cleaning and such.)
But of course! This is the modern day equivalent (as stated above) of two little old ladies arguing over the back fence. But this is so much more convenient. We can do it without ever leaving the comfort of our warm, cheery parlors.

Besides, it's colder than hell out there today and snowing. No time to be cleaning coops. Frostbite is nothing to toy with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness