Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 07:36 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,274,484 times

Advertisements

If the OP's well pump is drawing under 1.5kW cold crank (assuming 25% envelope for transformer losses which is pretty astronomical) there's no reason not to use a Honda Genny and a step-up transformer (120V-240V), cheaper for the Honda and transformer than a bigger model with a 240V output that's as reliable as the Honda. Unless the OP doesn't need that level of reliability.

Old 01-04-2014, 10:07 AM

23,597 posts, read 70,402,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
Do the cisterns not freeze in the winter?
Buried cisterns don't if you get them even partly below the frost line. Mine is not buried but sits under six mil black plastic. I saw a little ice at the top of the water level once in six years. The black plastic cover gives a slight insulation from the trapped air and that air gets heated by the sun. However, we rarely get cold temps for any length of time and the thermal mass of the water is pretty stout.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2014, 06:07 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,196,989 times
Quote:
Do the cisterns not freeze in the winter?

it depends on how big they are. my cistern only has about the top 2 feet get frozen in sub zero weather, the other 16 feet does not get frozen. it also helps if part of the cistern is buried into the ground as well.

Old 01-08-2014, 09:33 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,860,945 times
ok... makes sense. So if you only need to top off the tank as needed... then the power required for it is little (or done manually) rather than something like 12GPM or whatever.

Then your power requirement usage goes down to basically heat, nothing if using a wood stove, and lighting (very low for LED) and refrigerator. At that point it may be possible to just go Solar for these particular items rather than a generator. I'm thinking 2kw/h a day would probably cover these needs. Expensive, but then i don't need to worry about fuel.

Last edited by joe moving; 01-08-2014 at 09:48 AM..

Old 01-13-2014, 02:58 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,487,112 times
Quote:
ok... makes sense. So if you only need to top off the tank as needed... then the power required for it is little (or done manually) rather than something like 12GPM or whatever.

Then your power requirement usage goes down to basically heat, nothing if using a wood stove, and lighting (very low for LED) and refrigerator. At that point it may be possible to just go Solar for these particular items rather than a generator. I'm thinking 2kw/h a day would probably cover these needs. Expensive, but then i don't need to worry about fuel.
This sounds about right.

We purchased our first 2 solar panels (235 W each) for $1,000, with delivery. Then a funny thing happened. We found a solar panel dealer who let us take whatever panels he throws out due to (usually minor) damage; otherwise, he has to pay a fee to dispose of it. So far, we have gotten 5 of these "free" panels, and are up to 2,000 W total. I test each one with a multi-meter to see what it puts out, then clean it up, smooth out the bent frames as much as possible. We now have a real solar "array" of 7 panels.

Ingenuity often shows its face in unexpected ways. Be on the lookout for solar dealers with damaged panels waiting to be disposed of. You can get them free for the taking usually. If there is any fee, it would be very small. I expect I will have 3-5 kw of panels by the time I set up the array in Maine. That will run quite a few AC appliances, with an inverter.

Old 01-13-2014, 05:30 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,726,169 times
doesn't anyone live in a town with enough generation to carry town load in the event of an outage?

Old 01-13-2014, 10:32 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,990,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
doesn't anyone live in a town with enough generation to carry town load in the event of an outage?
Thats assuming the power outage is located on the intercity transmission lines (everything is working within your town) and the local utility has a generating station in your town that can provide power to the grid within the town. BUT, most outages are a combination of multiple breaks or outages that causes a system wide shutdown or interuption of the transmission roadway. We had a major blackout for 3 days where I live and the local generating station was stil online but the electricity being produced didn't get to us because the probems was a combination of several broken transmission lines, damaged transformers, and damaged bus bars at transfer points.

Seldom is an outage the result of not being able to 'generate' electricity. Most outages are due to problems within the community. Thats why people can have lights but suddenly the rest of the area is dark. A municipality would need generating ability at every street corner to deal with the possible locations causing an outage.

Old 01-14-2014, 01:19 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,726,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Thats assuming the power outage is located on the intercity transmission lines (everything is working within your town) and the local utility has a generating station in your town that can provide power to the grid within the town. BUT, most outages are a combination of multiple breaks or outages that causes a system wide shutdown or interuption of the transmission roadway. We had a major blackout for 3 days where I live and the local generating station was stil online but the electricity being produced didn't get to us because the probems was a combination of several broken transmission lines, damaged transformers, and damaged bus bars at transfer points.

Seldom is an outage the result of not being able to 'generate' electricity. Most outages are due to problems within the community. Thats why people can have lights but suddenly the rest of the area is dark. A municipality would need generating ability at every street corner to deal with the possible locations causing an outage.
I have worked in the Municipal Utility for the last 25 yrs and I am hear to tell you that most outages are in the Transmission system (69kv and above). A good municipal utility with enough generation to carry town load also has a load shed system intergrated into the switch gear line up that will isolate any trouble spots within the Distribution system. There are many,many small communities in the midwest and upper midwest that are so equiped. I was trying to see if people form other parts of the country lived in communities like ours.....

Old 01-16-2014, 07:28 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,196,989 times
Quote:

I might be going to a new source of heat. it depends on whether or not the rocket furnace actually works for my type of home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness