Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 01:22 PM

2,707 posts, read 6,231,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Where is that global warming? It seems to me to be closer to an Ice Age
For many of us, this is exactly how global warming is predicted to manifest; as an ice age.
This is why the term is now "global climate change", because too many people simply can not understand what global warming will actually DO. For whatever reason, they think "global warming" means everyone will be warmer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2014, 02:13 PM

2,398 posts, read 3,833,140 times
.....it isn't any real big deal as long as the woodpile holds out.

I've resisted putting in a wood stove because of the mess, dirt and smoky smell that escapes. It's great outside but I'm not a fan indoors of wood smoke smell. I've given it some thought and I have reconsidered and we are thinking a soapstone stove in the walkout living area basement might be a decent call, thermal mass and all that...

We live in a wooded area and the drought and age has weakened a number of the trees so we have a huge woodpile and more to come, plus we have another 3 acres in dense forest below the pond. The big push this spring will be to seal holes and re-insulate the attic. We are getting a quote to replace some crappy 70s windows that let in so much air that the curtains blow out though we weather stripped last fall. We are not used to the cold wind. Our screened in porch to the north is drifted inside on the porch. Our Alaska renters said they have almost no snow and it's actually warm up there. Weird.

Old 02-05-2014, 05:50 PM

48 posts, read 67,229 times
All.. About this propane subject.

There is no “Shortage” in the true sense of the word. There is plenty of propane, it was in the wrong areas of the country when the cold hit & people started running out because their usage went up.

For those who think running out was poor planning; think again. When outside temps go down, usage goes up and that increased usage is not “linear” with each degree of temp drop (most people don’t know this so running out is a big nasty surprise).

The “Pipeline issue”…..ask yourself – what is that really from? I have some knowledge about pipelines and I don’t think the pipeline was unserviceable – I think it was simply shut down. “Polar vortex”? I laugh every time I hear that one. It’s a clear lead in to politically driven global warming agendas.

I remember a few years back (before they won national acclaim for no achievements) someone we all know who got caught lying to the entire country (more than once) said: “Under my plan, energy prices will necessarily sky rocket”. (even though some related this only to electricity - it is all inter-related and the original quote said nothing about only electricity)

I think we are all feeling the pain of that statement coming true on a nationwide scale for propane.

“Pipeline issues”, “polar vortex”, “global warming”…. I think it’s all bull. This situation was all manipulated and the colder than normal temps simply worsened it. This was planned and there is an agenda.

Old 02-06-2014, 04:05 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,909,702 times
Global warming now means global cooling or an ice age? WTF kind of nonsense is that?

BTW, I have some experience dealing with raw material shortages of a different kind. Shortages typically are regional, that is to say, its really bad in some area, but that brings the price up almost everywhere. YOu have to remember that shipping product to where its needed requires time and money and that can get expensive when its in a hurry on a truck.

Old 02-06-2014, 09:18 PM

It's always meant that.
I take it you're one of those people who doesn't understand what global warming could actually do...

Global warming, and global climate functions, in a nutshell, courtesy of National Geographic: Global Warming Interactive, Global Warming Simulation, Climate Change Simulation - National Geographic

Old 02-06-2014, 09:41 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,483,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsMeFred View Post
It's always meant that.
No, it has not.

Back in the 90s, when Algore was VP, we went through a series of years with warmer than usual winters, and "global warming" was the buzzword. All the kids in school had to watch "An Inconvenient Truth", with pictures of polar bears stranded on melting ice. Then after 2000, we had a few years of below normal temps, and it became known as "climate change". No matter what it does, they will think of something else to call it.

My, how short memories are! Nobody talks about the East Anglia scandal any more (look it up...look it up) as that has just become an "inconvenient truth".

Old 02-06-2014, 10:52 PM

7,322 posts, read 6,920,840 times
I wonder how many now are still making fun of prepers, that have been taking things more seriously?
It's not a matter of prepping for the end of the world, but simply for events such as this.
No matter where I lived all my life ,there has always been the reserve we built alternatives, regardless of the current condition of things, that one put away for emergencies.
When money can't buy you propane, what then ?
I can imagine electric bills will be going through the roof as well .
Been there done that , candles and lanterns and fire places kept us warm and bundled together in the front room.
Candles work but not the safest form of heat . Kerosene lanterns work well too for that matter .

The wood stove is still the more efficient tool in situations like this. IMO

Old 02-06-2014, 10:58 PM

What??
An Inconvenient Truth came out in 2006...
So far as Gore's theories, from the synopsis:
Quote:
Gore discusses the possibility of the collapse of a major ice sheet in Greenland or in West Antarctica, either of which could raise global sea levels by approximately 20 feet, flooding coastal areas and producing 100 million refugees. Melt water from Greenland, because of its lower salinity, could then halt the currents that keep northern Europe warm and quickly trigger dramatic local cooling there.
And if you want to talk movies, The Day After Tomorrow came out in 2004. One of the movie's central themes was the ice age brought about by global warming! lol

Granted, when people don't understand the basic science, this is confusing.

But we've always known that global warming (or global cooling, for that matter) will affect the ocean currents and the jet streams. It's a jet stream, for example, directly linked to an ocean current, that keeps the British Isles from being significantly colder, despite their northerly latitude. Those two factors are huge influences on climates.

Did you read the link I posted?

Now I'm not arguing the merits of global warming, whether it is or isn't happening, or what might be causing it if it is. But we do know that global temperature changes will create deviations in the somewhat fragile systems (primarily ocean currents and jet streams) that influence the climates on the globe.

Old 02-07-2014, 06:12 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,483,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsMeFred View Post
Did you read the link I posted?
Did you look up East Anglia?

Old 02-07-2014, 06:22 AM

2,398 posts, read 3,833,140 times
Yep. I've always understood global warming, climate change, geological cyclic weather patterns, whatever it's called today, the way it'sMeFred has stated. Raised global temperatures causing ice melt in the polar regions, releasing fresh water changing the sea salinity which changes the way the oceanic currents work possibly triggering an ice age.

Either way this discussion has only a very marginal relationship with the thread of propane shortage which is regional of course but for those caught in it, they have a real problem as this cold cycle refuses to break.

Typed in my fuzzy mohair freezing my butt in my house this morning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness