Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 01:22 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,602,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brushrunner View Post
Ok last Winter we was having problems getting insurance for Wood Heat so we bought enough Propane to do all Winter last Spring when price was much cheaper.

Then because of Health reasons I couldn't hunt this last Fall, so we got Road Kill Deer from the state. Got 3 only lost one Rib Cage out of all. Found that most people don't want to mess with them but they will say they have to feed their family so they poach and break the Law Thinking of getting Road Kill this next Fall.

We finally got insurance where we can heat with wood. Around here cheapest ways of getting firewood is first Slab Wood from Sawmills, $20 a cord and second way is getting Permits to cut on Government Land for Free. Yes you have to cut it.

We went today to get Permits I said I'll bet people are lining up to get permits considering price of propane? No their not, nobody wants to cut it, they want it already cut and split.

I use to feel sorry for some but I have found most of them will freeze and starve to death before they will try to do something to help their self. I'm sorry I can't no more.

brushrunner
The people you describe are no different from the specimens who sat on the curb after Katrina waiting for the government to send "help". They're not survivors. The best we can often do is to simply refuse to donate money, food, or anything else to these people. If there's a food bank in your nearest town try to cause them as much trouble as possible. Use their beloved government against them. Complain about zoning violations, public drunkenness, drug use, and noise. Be sure to let your children know that the children of these specimens are fair game for any mischief that they can conceive. Let businesses know that you are not pleased if they support these entities and that if they continue you'll spend your money elsewhere. Don't forget to tell your friends to do the same.

These parasites won't work; so do your best to make their lives a living hell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
What the hell are you talking about? Absurd post.
Commenting critically on things you don't understand does nothing more than make you look foolish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2014, 10:25 AM

7,242 posts, read 7,907,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
The people you describe are no different from the specimens who sat on the curb after Katrina waiting for the government to send "help". They're not survivors. The best we can often do is to simply refuse to donate money, food, or anything else to these people. If there's a food bank in your nearest town try to cause them as much trouble as possible. Use their beloved government against them. Complain about zoning violations, public drunkenness, drug use, and noise. Be sure to let your children know that the children of these specimens are fair game for any mischief that they can conceive. Let businesses know that you are not pleased if they support these entities and that if they continue you'll spend your money elsewhere. Don't forget to tell your friends to do the same.

You sound like a terrible person. Deliberately going out to make trouble for charities? I volunteer my time once per month to help the local food bank because there are a ton of elderly people, children with bad parents, and just the down and out who need a temporary bit of help. Sure, you also get a few, very few, who have just given up on life and now want to make handouts their way of life but that is a tiny minority while most just really are in a bad situation. I couldn't imagine going out of my way to harass such noble charities nor how someone could claim to be a Christian yet behave so badly.

Even worse is how you encourage your children to treat other people poorly because of who their parents are.

Old 02-16-2014, 01:52 PM

1,127 posts, read 1,275,259 times
Quote:

Commenting critically on things you don't understand does nothing more than make you look foolish.
Wow. Cause the food pantry trouble? Aren't we bitter? There is a world of difference between refusing to feel sorry for those who suffer due to their complete laziness and unwillingness to do anything for themselves, and actively going out to make trouble for a food pantry, which is usually staffed by volunteers who care very much about their community, and who help people who are genuinely in need every day. Yes, people do attempt, and often succeed, to abuse the good intentions of such entities, but that is on the looters, not the good hearted people who work to help the truly needy. Also, teaching your kids to victimize other children will have far-reaching consequences that will hurt your own children as much or more than all those they victimize. In fact, it is a good way to wind up visiting your children through a pane of ballistic glass.

A change needs to happen, Americans need to understand that helping those who won't work is not helpful, and the looters need to be cut off, but becoming hateful and vicious people will not take the country anywhere we want to go. I am all for stopping government welfare in all forms, and cutting taxes to return the largesse of charity to the private individual and the community where it belongs. But acting like the busybodies we despise and turning our children into bullies and criminals serves no useful purpose and does less than nothing to fix the problem. First thing we need to do is stop the check, make them understand the free ride is over. Then, we need to stop the runaway immigration, and start putting the newly hungry and unskilled to work, doing the jobs that "Americans won't do".

Picking crops, installing roofs, and on and on. Some of those things pay well, even. How racist is it of Americans to say we won't do a job, and then ease immigration rules to ensure that there are plenty of "little brown people" to do those awful jobs for us? I have done many of those jobs in my life, and enjoyed the money, and the companionship of the hardworking people I worked with. We can teach people that hard work and dirt are not awful, that all things need to be done, hard or dirty jobs often pay well, and the sense of satisfaction derived from being productive is hard to beat. Mike Rowe talks about the need for manual labor, skilled trades, and such, and does a good job of it. Watch the entire video, Mike's position is well-thought out and articulate in presentation.

Mike Rowe on the Hidden Cost of Compliance - Reason.com

As far as those who refuse to adjust and become productive, they will turn to crime, and will end up in the justice system. Stop the easy "three hots and a cot with cable" paradigm and return to the days of labor crews made up of prisoners. Accomplish two things. Replace expensive government positions on road crews and similar positions with "free" labor(nothing is free, we already are paying to sustain prisoners), and make prison undesirable, so that productive work and a normal life are more attractive once a perp has done their time. In addition, their work can pay for their room and board, and they are not saddled with a huge bill when they leave jail, like they often are now. Return even more tax money to the people by not paying for all the prevailing wage manual labor jobs with huge benefit packages, and replace them with cheap labor that needs to learn skills and a dislike of prison life. Everybody wins.

It is a complicated mess, and there would be pain involved in fixing it, but I believe Americans are intelligent and can work through it, and would be better off in the long run. Government is always wasteful and ineffective at anything it attempts to control(War on Poverty, War on Terror, War on Drugs, Prohibition, blah, blah, blah), and we need to realize this and return fiscal discipline and limited power to our system of governance. This is essential if we are to have any hope of putting the country onto a path toward fiscal solvency and mass productivity that would place us once again at the top of the heap.

Old 02-16-2014, 03:19 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,602,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
You sound like a terrible person. Deliberately going out to make trouble for charities? I volunteer my time once per month to help the local food bank because there are a ton of elderly people, children with bad parents, and just the down and out who need a temporary bit of help. Sure, you also get a few, very few, who have just given up on life and now want to make handouts their way of life but that is a tiny minority while most just really are in a bad situation. I couldn't imagine going out of my way to harass such noble charities nor how someone could claim to be a Christian yet behave so badly.

Even worse is how you encourage your children to treat other people poorly because of who their parents are.
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy73 View Post
Wow. Cause the food pantry trouble? Aren't we bitter? There is a world of difference between refusing to feel sorry for those who suffer due to their complete laziness and unwillingness to do anything for themselves, and actively going out to make trouble for a food pantry, which is usually staffed by volunteers who care very much about their community, and who help people who are genuinely in need every day. Yes, people do attempt, and often succeed, to abuse the good intentions of such entities, but that is on the looters, not the good hearted people who work to help the truly needy. Also, teaching your kids to victimize other children will have far-reaching consequences that will hurt your own children as much or more than all those they victimize. In fact, it is a good way to wind up visiting your children through a pane of ballistic glass.
The antisurvivalists mount their impotent ad hominem attacks. That's all they have. Obama would be proud of them.

Old 02-16-2014, 05:07 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,907,352 times
So that is your response, huh? Instead of actually responding to any of the arguments brought forward you just ignore it all and then, laughably, claim it is all just an attack upon your ideology.

BTW, you should look up the definition of ad hominem because you're obviously using the term incorrectly. Just FYI.

Old 02-16-2014, 06:18 PM

2,080 posts, read 3,923,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
In this state, we have a law against suing a land-owner if you hurt yourself on his land. This way people who own large tracts of forest do not care if you hunt / fish on it. 92% of the state is forest, and almost all of it is open to the public.

We are not required to get permits to cut firewood.

I have 150 acres of woodlot. I have made offer many times that folks can come on my land to cut their firewood. My name is listed at the food-banks, so if anyone needs free firewood they know that it is available to them.

In 7 years, only twice have people came here to cut wood.
I'm in CT, I'll be up with a fleet of Tri-ax dump trucks!

Old 02-16-2014, 07:09 PM

1,127 posts, read 1,275,259 times
Quote:
The antisurvivalists mount their impotent ad hominem attacks. That's all they have. Obama would be proud of them.

Surely you jest. I usually do not agree often with Think4Yourself, due to somewhat opposed ideologies, but I have to agree with him/her on that last post. You are being combative and misusing words, rather than responding with facts and a logical argument for your referenced post. I would be interested to see a reasoned argument in support of the post, as I think it would be hard to support. Let's hear it.

Obviously you need to stay away from the keyboard when you have been drinking. Calling me an antisurvivalist, after I post stuff like this? Ya gotta be kidding me.

02-14-2014, 06:53 PM
countryboy73

Edit Status
413 posts, read 179,863 times

Part of that good planning is often the choice to live a more prepared lifestyle. Not as in making preparedness a lifestyle, but as in living in such a manner that one has and uses skills daily that translate to preparedness.

I garden extensively because I like fruits and vegetables, but can hardly stand to eat(or pay for) the crud they push at us in the store. I can or dry all the extra so I can have it during the winter, and so I have a food reserve for bad years, health crises, or helping neighbors when they need it. I have chickens because I like the deep color of the egg yolks, the good meat that did not come from China, and a yard that is mostly bug free. I raise hogs and cure and smoke bacon and grind and make sausage because I love bacon with my eggs and sausage in my gravy, and refuse to pay exorbitant prices for meats that do not taste as good as my own. I cut wood and burn it for heat because I enjoy the extravagance of having a house at 80 degrees with snow on the yard, and having a window open to cool down the house a bit. I can build a house from the ground up, to exceed the code, because that is what I do for a living. I can fix anything on my old truck because I have pretty much built it from the ground up as a hobby project. I can load my own ammunition and build or repair my own rifle because I shoot competitively and cannot(or will not) afford to buy centerfire rifle and handgun ammunition by the case to keep shooting, or have a rifle rebuilt by others when I wear out a barrel. I can hunt, fish, trap and forage because I have done all these things for years, starting as a hobby, then pinch hitting at times as grocery shopping. I can, and have performed first aid and basic medical care in an emergency, because I learned basic skills in case I needed to have them. It has paid off multiple times, for me and others.

I have guns, extra food, water purifying equipment, navigation tools and maps, medical supplies, camouflage clothing, camping gear, a 4WD, tools, and a lot of other preparedness-related gear, not because I plan to fight the next revolution or hordes of zombies, but because my hobbies are shooting, 4 wheeling, camping and backpacking, hunting, fishing, etc.

All these things add up to a fairly well-rounded prepper's skillset, but none of it was really learned with the idea of using it to survive TEOTWAWKI(love that acronym, sounds like it belongs as a word in the language of the Five Nations, or something). Rather, it is just knowledge gained from a productive life in rural America, which could potentially come in handy in a crisis. Anybody can engage in dual-use skillsets and hobbies. One simply has to choose activities that advance them along their desired course in life and persist in those until proficiency is reached. When we stop learning, we die.

Old 02-17-2014, 03:24 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,684,015 times
Quote:
You need to study a little history. Your attitude was quite common in Europe among the nobility. They lost their position, their power, their wealth, and sometimes their heads as a result. I wouldn't call anyone that self destructive a survivalist.

Old 02-17-2014, 06:22 AM

2,080 posts, read 3,923,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy73 View Post
Surely you jest. I usually do not agree often with Think4Yourself, due to somewhat opposed ideologies, but I have to agree with him/her on that last post. You are being combative and misusing words, rather than responding with facts and a logical argument for your referenced post. I would be interested to see a reasoned argument in support of the post, as I think it would be hard to support. Let's hear it.

Obviously you need to stay away from the keyboard when you have been drinking. Calling me an antisurvivalist, after I post stuff like this? Ya gotta be kidding me.

02-14-2014, 06:53 PM
countryboy73

Edit Status
413 posts, read 179,863 times

Part of that good planning is often the choice to live a more prepared lifestyle. Not as in making preparedness a lifestyle, but as in living in such a manner that one has and uses skills daily that translate to preparedness.

I garden extensively because I like fruits and vegetables, but can hardly stand to eat(or pay for) the crud they push at us in the store. I can or dry all the extra so I can have it during the winter, and so I have a food reserve for bad years, health crises, or helping neighbors when they need it. I have chickens because I like the deep color of the egg yolks, the good meat that did not come from China, and a yard that is mostly bug free. I raise hogs and cure and smoke bacon and grind and make sausage because I love bacon with my eggs and sausage in my gravy, and refuse to pay exorbitant prices for meats that do not taste as good as my own. I cut wood and burn it for heat because I enjoy the extravagance of having a house at 80 degrees with snow on the yard, and having a window open to cool down the house a bit. I can build a house from the ground up, to exceed the code, because that is what I do for a living. I can fix anything on my old truck because I have pretty much built it from the ground up as a hobby project. I can load my own ammunition and build or repair my own rifle because I shoot competitively and cannot(or will not) afford to buy centerfire rifle and handgun ammunition by the case to keep shooting, or have a rifle rebuilt by others when I wear out a barrel. I can hunt, fish, trap and forage because I have done all these things for years, starting as a hobby, then pinch hitting at times as grocery shopping. I can, and have performed first aid and basic medical care in an emergency, because I learned basic skills in case I needed to have them. It has paid off multiple times, for me and others.

I have guns, extra food, water purifying equipment, navigation tools and maps, medical supplies, camouflage clothing, camping gear, a 4WD, tools, and a lot of other preparedness-related gear, not because I plan to fight the next revolution or hordes of zombies, but because my hobbies are shooting, 4 wheeling, camping and backpacking, hunting, fishing, etc.

All these things add up to a fairly well-rounded prepper's skillset, but none of it was really learned with the idea of using it to survive TEOTWAWKI(love that acronym, sounds like it belongs as a word in the language of the Five Nations, or something). Rather, it is just knowledge gained from a productive life in rural America, which could potentially come in handy in a crisis. Anybody can engage in dual-use skillsets and hobbies. One simply has to choose activities that advance them along their desired course in life and persist in those until proficiency is reached. When we stop learning, we die.
Excellent post! Your life is what America is all about, awesome.

Old 02-17-2014, 08:15 AM

836 posts, read 1,662,237 times
Good on submariner and others who offer others to help themselves.

We do have hordes of folks raised by wolves nowadays and I agree that it doesn't pay to be too free with charity, but sure don't feel the need to attack strangers on an anonymous forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness