Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 10:55 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,602,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
See? Point out the differences between rational threat based disaster preparedness vs obsessive, irrational nonfact based behaviors and you get called a troll. It's a perfect summary of this forum in so many ways. I guess it is easier to avoid discussions which make people feel uncomfortable or require them to do a bit of critical self examination because... That's just too hard or unreasonable. This is the very definition of mental illness with the same avoidance and weak self justifications but, hey, feel free to cash out that 401k, give up your job in your peak earning years, and instead hide out in BFE obsessively hoarding for what ever imagined threat is your cup of tea. Just know many of you would do better with extensive therapy helping you deal with your irrational fears instead.
You may call us irrational, mentally ill, or whatever you wish. I won't call you a troll. But I will ask why you who have no interest in what we do are so obsessed with our forum. Is your life bare of stimulation? Are you afraid that we have more money than you? Is it because you guess that we're not Democrats? I'm really curious about your need to regularly assault us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2014, 11:38 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,995,508 times
Quote:
Just know many of you would do better with extensive therapy helping you deal with your irrational fears instead.
I agree with eveything you have said, but I have to disagree with this one statement.
It is not an irrational fear. It's not a fear at all. What we are dealing with is fantasy role playing.

If you were to sit with them and ask them to explain their concerns, what they are preparing for, and why they have/do what they have done, you will see that for many it’s all based on a fantasy SURVIVABLE situation. Everything they are planning and stockpiling for is limited to a scenario where the supplies and resources they have will be sufficient for that need. Now, throw in a reasonable alternative disaster they did not prepare for and suddenly that alternative scenario is brushed aside because it doesn’t fit their fantasy.

An example of the above is the so called self-sufficient person, with their vision of a properly equipped homestead. However, if you throw in a reasonably possible scenario (let’s say a catastrophic at a chemical plant where the contaminants will reasonably settle over that person’s homestead based on current and past weather patterns) suddenly, that possibly is dismissed as being too remote a possibility, or the weather will have changed by that time, or all the city folks between the chemical plant and their homestead will have absorb any deadly contaminate so the crops and livestock are safe. They will even try to distract from the alternate scenario by creating an alternate to the alternate scenario so their preparedness will be able to address it. If it wasn’t what they imagined would happen and prepared for, it becomes a non-item because they are not the unprepared.

So, it’s not an irrational fear because most really don’t believe it will actually happen. It’s just the latest fad and many jumped on it to enjoy the excitement of the role playing. It has been equated to being the Dungeons and Dragons of preparedness industry. In just makes them happy even if some take it to the extreme. Heck some folks dress up and play Luke Skywalker or have some Sci-Fi recreated spaceship in the barn, why not some person dress up and play “Prepper”.

Now, what I have described is what we traditionally see as "preppers (nut cases or not) versus emergency planners who may look and sound like those doomsday preppers but they are rooted in a belief of threat assessment based on the most likely event. They first planned for situation that has happened, is happening and will happen such as weather related. They do not jump to the end of the world scenario as the first step and end up being the unprepared when a normal every other year wildfire destroys their hidey-hole and supplies because they didn’t prepare for something as boring as a natural recurring issue.

Old 02-13-2014, 12:18 AM

7,242 posts, read 7,907,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
You may call us irrational, mentally ill, or whatever you wish. I won't call you a troll. But I will ask why you who have no interest in what we do are so obsessed with our forum. Is your life bare of stimulation? Are you afraid that we have more money than you? Is it because you guess that we're not Democrats? I'm really curious about your need to regularly assault us.
I like permies and home gardening, I like reasonable fact based threat assessments and preparredness, but, I don't like neo-Nazis posting videos of "the coming race war", or nonscientific garbage about the Earth rolling over on its access, or being told that you MUSt have an irrational amount of food along with retarded levels of guns and ammo. Yes, there are a handful of posters on this subforum who are useful and reasonablly well adjusted but there are a hell of a lot of raving nutjobs babbling nonsense. Telling people to close out their 401ks, to not plan for the future other than dry goods, and a great many of these people are fools who will end up impoverished, unable to pay their property taxes, and generally NOT being prepared for the most likely events.

So, yeah, I do feel the need to interject a bit of reality here and there even if it upsets you.

Old 02-13-2014, 12:20 AM

7,242 posts, read 7,907,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
I agree with eveything you have said, but I have to disagree with this one statement.
It is not an irrational fear. It's not a fear at all. What we are dealing with is fantasy role playing.
Good point. There is a "I will be like Mad Max!" type fantasy role playing. I suppose if I was a total failure at life I might just give up at life and spend all day trying to make my fantasy become real too but I'd honestly be extremely disappointed in myself if I was such a sad person.

Old 02-13-2014, 07:48 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,892,069 times
Just one message from a fellow gun owner since I saw it mentioned in a few responses here - PLEASE DO NOT HOARD AMMO. Ammo is otherwise a commodity, you can buy it at wallmart and other places as easy and available as you buy toilet paper. You don't need to hoard it (unless you hardcore preppers are also hoarding toilet paper, and then you have other issues that I don't want to get into). The recent shortages that are only now starting to ease up were caused by, yup, hoarding.
You guys are you're own worst enemy.

Old 02-13-2014, 08:08 AM

6,756 posts, read 8,581,124 times
Quote:
So if having a sensible stocked closet within their home for reasonable rational emergencies brings some individual happiness and peace of mind by securing them in the keeping of their life by exercising their liberty as free citizens, and living as they see fit, why should it give so much heartburn to "self proclaimed real preppers"????

Is it just because they intelligently think for themselves and don't follow the rest of the doomsday nutcase flock??

And just out of curiosity, who among the real self reliant/preppers on this forum have ever said anything against someone having any amount of supplies??? If anything, the posters on this board are far more supportive of people trying to put aside enough supplies for a week or 2 for a hurricane or what ever than you seem to be. MtS.

Sure does get some folks upset that someone doesn't agree with them though.

Funny how it can go both ways!
(My comments added to Rabrrita's post in red.)

Seems to me that you are projecting your own biases instead of reading what is actually written. Most of the regulars here fully support whatever level of prep anyone can do and offer advice about how to do it in the most efficent manner with what resources they have, and try to help newbies with advice about the best products.
Perhaps their idea of a danger to their site isn't Fukashima but instead the bunch of gangbangers living on the next block, but that doesn't make their concerns any less real.
You like to try and demean people that actually work the land by saying things like "if the chemical plant downwind were to burn it would contaminate their homestead" etc. etc. etc without a real knowledge of location, wind patterns, location of plants, (chemical or otherwise) in relationship to a persons location.
You have no idea of what individuals may or may not have accounted for in their preperations, but make sweeping generalized statements to try and discredit anyone that doesn't follow the government guidelines to a T.

Not sure where you get your perceptions, but you know what they say about "Assuming"....

Quote:
I like permies and home gardening, I like reasonable fact based threat assessments and preparredness, but, I don't like neo-Nazis posting videos of "the coming race war", or nonscientific garbage about the Earth rolling over on its access, or being told that you MUSt have an irrational amount of food along with retarded levels of guns and ammo. Yes, there are a handful of posters on this subforum who are useful and reasonablly well adjusted but there are a hell of a lot of raving nutjobs babbling nonsense. Telling people to close out their 401ks, to not plan for the future other than dry goods, and a great many of these people are fools who will end up impoverished, unable to pay their property taxes, and generally NOT being prepared for the most likely events.

So, yeah, I do feel the need to interject a bit of reality here and there even if it upsets you.
Apparently you are a fan of Adam on Mythbusters, "I reject your reality and substitute my own"

Apparently it is the firearms aspect that really bothers you as it is probably the most constant rant in your posts.
Not sure where you are seeing " "the coming race war", or "nonscientific garbage about the Earth rolling over on its access, or being told that you MUSt have an irrational amount of food along with retarded levels of guns and ammo." or "neo-Nazis" that are " Telling people to close out their 401ks, to not plan for the future other than dry goods".

Or is it that they will be "unable to pay their property taxes" that scares you the most about people putting aside some food and water for an emergency?

Personally, I think people that skydive are nuts. I can't see wasting hundreds of thousands of dollars on oversized homes or show cars or show dogs or horses or whatever, but guess what? It's their money so they can do what they like with it.

It really appears that you do not read this thread often as you have some real misconceptions about most of the regular posters here. Your attitude would be much better served on the P&OC forum as it seems you prefer to look for a fight rather than discuss topics that might actually do someone some good.

Your kind of anger at people that don't follow your exact rules for life is the reason that threads like this one are put out every so often, to try and interject some real truth about what the self reliance/preparedness forum is about.
Not Zombies, or Race Wars, or Mad Max or any of your other democrat fantasies, but real people doing real things to make their life better and take care of their loved ones.

Old 02-13-2014, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Just one message from a fellow gun owner since I saw it mentioned in a few responses here - PLEASE DO NOT HOARD AMMO. Ammo is otherwise a commodity, you can buy it at wallmart and other places as easy and available as you buy toilet paper. You don't need to hoard it (unless you hardcore preppers are also hoarding toilet paper, and then you have other issues that I don't want to get into). The recent shortages that are only now starting to ease up were caused by, yup, hoarding.
You guys are you're own worst enemy.
I haven't bought ammunition in years, your own worst enemy is you and other collectors that hoard ammo to sell at inflated prices not the prepper that has a couple bricks of 22 LR.

I primarily use archery tackle for my hunting, and as I use a recurve self bow, I can make my own arrows anyway.
Black powder isn't hard to make for a flintlock, and the few smokeless centerfire rounds I use each year are easily handled by my reloading supplies.
A pound of powder, a couple hundred primers and a couple boxes of bullets last me for years.

I do frequent gun shows where I sell knives, and it isn't the prepper that I see buying ammunition in bulk, it's usually the dealers.

Old 02-13-2014, 09:29 AM

13,131 posts, read 20,995,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
Seems to me that you are projecting your own biases instead of reading what is actually written. Most of the regulars here fully support whatever level of prep anyone can do and offer advice about how to do it in the most efficent manner with what resources they have, and try to help newbies with advice about the best products.
Perhaps their idea of a danger to their site isn't Fukashima but instead the bunch of gangbangers living on the next block, but that doesn't make their concerns any less real.
You like to try and demean people that actually work the land by saying things like "if the chemical plant downwind were to burn it would contaminate their homestead" etc. etc. etc without a real knowledge of location, wind patterns, location of plants, (chemical or otherwise) in relationship to a persons location.
You have no idea of what individuals may or may not have accounted for in their preperations, but make sweeping generalized statements to try and discredit anyone that doesn't follow the government guidelines to a T.
So if having a low stocked closet within my home for just reasonable rational emergencies that brings some individual happiness and peace of mind by securing me in the keeping of my life by exercising my liberty as a free citizen, and living as I see fit, why should it give so much heartburn to "self proclaimed real preppers"????

Is it just because I intelligently think for myself and don't follow the rest of the doomsday nutcase flock??

Old 02-13-2014, 09:37 AM

374 posts, read 492,255 times
Quote:
Good point. There is a "I will be like Mad Max!" type fantasy role playing. I suppose if I was a total failure at life I might just give up at life and spend all day trying to make my fantasy become real too but I'd honestly be extremely disappointed in myself if I was such a sad person.
So instead you just sit on threads to instigate or mock those who chose to use their money and time to take care of their families? Seems odd to me but hey it is your time and energy to use or waste. Also some of the things you said you don't like seeing on threads were never mentioned on this thread but hey once again.... it's your time to sit and decide what others should or shouldn't do while calling names and mocking.

Old 02-13-2014, 11:25 AM

Quote:
So if having a low stocked closet within my home for just reasonable rational emergencies that brings some individual happiness and peace of mind by securing me in the keeping of my life by exercising my liberty as a free citizen, and living as I see fit, why should it give so much heartburn to "self proclaimed real preppers"????

Is it just because I intelligently think for myself and don't follow the rest of the doomsday nutcase flock??
And where on this thread anywhere, or for that matter anywhere else on this board has having a few provisions stocke away ever been considered a bad thing????????

I don't know of any real prepper that has an issue with that, and in fact widely support it. They may offer advice on how to get the most bang for your buck, what kind of storage works best, what kinds of things you should consider having supplied, but heartburn??? No idea where you draw that conclusion unless you are operating under the misconception that I give a rats left hindquarter about anything you do or don't do.

You claim to be a preparedness professional, yet deride those that actually do prep for emergencies? I think there is an old computer saying that applies here, "DOES NOT COMPUTE".

This forum by and large is one of the most moderate ones out there today. Doomers usually get shot down just as quickly as trolls. Most the folks on this board actually want to learn or to share what they know.
Not too many threads about "building a bunker on a budget" or whatever other activites occupy your fevered imagination.

If you have a bag of raman noodles and an extra roll of toilet paper in your closet and feel you are prepared for anything, good for you.

I'll just continue to live as I see fit, you go preach in the wilderness about how crazy I am to have a little more than that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness