Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2014, 03:25 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,213,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
It seems that, once again, some people commenting do not understand prepping.

Prepping is not the same as self sufficiency. Prepping is not guaranteed long term survival.

Prepping is an advantage not really a solution. So, no, prepping doesn't mean you are guaranteed survival in every situation. What it means is that you are in better shape to deal with the situation, should one arise.

For just about any kind of emergency situation, having extra water, food, batteries, etc, give you an advantage over not having those supplies.

Additionally, prepping isn't necessarily about just supplies; it's also about things such as knowledge and even attitude.
Well said pedro!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2014, 04:01 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,163,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMenscha View Post
We get a few preppers or wanna-be preppers in my neck of the woods.

I really like the flawed assumption that they will escape to the hills. The locals won't take too kindly to your presence. Y'all know we also have the means to defend our turf. We are probably also much better shots than most.
They aren't going to stand there and let you shoot at them. More likely they'll sneak up at 3am and kick down your door. If that doesn't work, they might set your cabin on fire.

However, I don't think many people will bail out of the cities looking for stuff to steal even if they've run out of food. Most people stay with what they are familiar with, even to the point of starvation, hoping they will be rescued.

Old 03-27-2014, 05:50 PM

2,007 posts, read 6,831,029 times
Thanks to the TV shows people seem to think they can just sit at the house, range out aways from it and exist like little lambs. I really like this way of thinking, I really might have to think about becoming a cannibal, but I figure everything else is a go........
I only have to be better than the person I am taking the things from.

Old 03-28-2014, 12:23 AM

7,242 posts, read 7,906,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
Maybe you didn't read the weird blog that the OP linked or the numerous posts fantasizing about a sudden and permanent collapse of law, order, sanity, etc, but the original premise of this thread and a lot of the posts in it are about that kind of stuff -- and how the posters were or could be "prepared" for that. I think that's what TennValleyDuuude is talking about, not about people who are prepared for some kind of short lived disaster like a tornado or ice-storm or power failure.
Exactly. Pedro is engaging in the usual misrepresentation that disaster preparedness (which is by definition designed to be short term to get over an emergency situation which is temperary) is some how the same as the crazy nutjob preppers (who believe all civilization is about to end permanently). These two things are not the same, no matter how often Pedro or other people attempt to make false equivalencies. The entire premise is different between those two things.

Now, I, personally, believe Pedro is doing the right thing and is being smart by dealing with the most likely to happen things first (pay insurance, saving for retirement, saving for his children's education, etc...) and can not fault him on that as he is being wiser than most of the people out there (especially the retards who ignore highly likely to need things like health insurance or retirement funds). The fact remains though that preppers/survivalists are planning for long term societal breakdown not short term disaster preparedness stuff and that's where they go off into crazy la-la-land.

Old 03-28-2014, 12:27 AM

7,242 posts, read 7,906,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowwalker View Post
Thanks to the TV shows people seem to think they can just sit at the house, range out aways from it and exist like little lambs. I really like this way of thinking, I really might have to think about becoming a cannibal, but I figure everything else is a go........
I only have to be better than the person I am taking the things from.
That's factually incorrect. Once word gets out that a thief and murder is about it won't take people long to figure out the guy who doesn't belong there (I.E. everyone else in the community are friends and already know each other) is the villain and from that point on your days of murdering and thieving would be numbered.

Old 03-28-2014, 07:17 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,611,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
Exactly. Pedro is engaging in the usual misrepresentation that disaster preparedness (which is by definition designed to be short term to get over an emergency situation which is temperary) is some how the same as the crazy nutjob preppers (who believe all civilization is about to end permanently). These two things are not the same, no matter how often Pedro or other people attempt to make false equivalencies. The entire premise is different between those two things.

Now, I, personally, believe Pedro is doing the right thing and is being smart by dealing with the most likely to happen things first (pay insurance, saving for retirement, saving for his children's education, etc...) and can not fault him on that as he is being wiser than most of the people out there (especially the retards who ignore highly likely to need things like health insurance or retirement funds). The fact remains though that preppers/survivalists are planning for long term societal breakdown not short term disaster preparedness stuff and that's where they go off into crazy la-la-land.
No, once again, I am separating the "preppers" from the "crazy nutjobs" because some people continue to insinuate they are one and the same.

Old 03-28-2014, 08:07 AM

6,756 posts, read 8,579,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
No, once again, I am separating the "preppers" from the "crazy nutjobs" because some people continue to insinuate they are one and the same.
Too bad it's a waste of time Pedro.

There are a lot of closed minded individuals that haunt this forum only to troll or make snarky comments purely to try and stir up trouble.

Just as the doomers fantisize about the end of civilization, these trolls fantasize about how intellectually superior they are to to anyone that has stores and plans in the event of a disaster.

Instead of listening to the folks that actually do work at self sufficency or preparedness, or practice skills both primitive and old fashioned that don't require a smartphone, they deride them as kooks or Quote: "retards" endquote, (i hate that word as my wife is a nurse working with DD patients).

Some folks have so little else in their life they have to look for ways to feel superior to someone that doesn't think the same way they do, so they find some small group of people like the doomers, and try to insult the vast majority of folks that are just trying to take care of their family, simply to cause an uproar or get people mad on an internet board, just for a cheap thrill.

They bring nothing to the table, the share no knowledge or practical advice, they just make ugly comments and try to paint anyone not like them as quote "Kooks".

It's pure 100% undliuted horse manure, but it's apparently the only joy they have in life.

They aren't able to understand anyone doing anything different from the herd.

It's really sad.

Old 03-28-2014, 11:00 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,199,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
Too bad it's a waste of time Pedro.

There are a lot of closed minded individuals that haunt this forum only to troll or make snarky comments purely to try and stir up trouble.

Just as the doomers fantisize about the end of civilization, these trolls fantasize about how intellectually superior they are to to anyone that has stores and plans in the event of a disaster.

Instead of listening to the folks that actually do work at self sufficency or preparedness, or practice skills both primitive and old fashioned that don't require a smartphone, they deride them as kooks or Quote: "retards" endquote, (i hate that word as my wife is a nurse working with DD patients).

Some folks have so little else in their life they have to look for ways to feel superior to someone that doesn't think the same way they do, so they find some small group of people like the doomers, and try to insult the vast majority of folks that are just trying to take care of their family, simply to cause an uproar or get people mad on an internet board, just for a cheap thrill.

They bring nothing to the table, the share no knowledge or practical advice, they just make ugly comments and try to paint anyone not like them as quote "Kooks".

It's pure 100% undliuted horse manure, but it's apparently the only joy they have in life.

They aren't able to understand anyone doing anything different from the herd.

It's really sad.
This post is simply nonsense. It's also your favorite spiel because you raise it regularly in every thread where anybody dares to question the mentality of prepper extremists who await the sudden and permanent end of all civilization with the excitement of pre-schoolers awaiting Santa Claus.

Nobody on this thread is dissing people who choose to prepare for realistic emergencies yet you pretend that questioning the sanity of somebody who can't wait for the legendary "SHTF" so he can go out and blow away anybody and everybody is the same as mocking somebody who has a generator and a couple of oil lamps stored in his/her garage.

Furthermore, this forum is for discussion. Discussion means that people will have different viewpoints, and people who have different viewpoints than you and who don't applaud prepper extremists have just as much right to post here as you do. They are not trolling. If you don't like contradictory opinions, then I suggest you create and maintain your own website where you can banish anybody who doesn't cheer every prepper extremists who's at least a couple of cans short of a six pack.

Old 03-28-2014, 11:34 AM

25,725 posts, read 18,797,332 times
Quote:
This post is simply nonsense. It's also your favorite spiel because you raise it regularly in every thread where anybody dares to question the mentality of prepper extremists who await the sudden and permanent end of all civilization with the excitement of pre-schoolers awaiting Santa Claus.

Nobody on this thread is dissing people who choose to prepare for realistic emergencies yet you pretend that questioning the sanity of somebody who can't wait for the legendary "SHTF" so he can go out and blow away anybody and everybody is the same as mocking somebody who has a generator and a couple of oil lamps stored in his/her garage.

Furthermore, this forum is for discussion. Discussion means that people will have different viewpoints, and people who have different viewpoints than you and who don't applaud prepper extremists have just as much right to post here as you do. They are not trolling. If you don't like contradictory opinions, then I suggest you create and maintain your own website where you can banish anybody who doesn't cheer every prepper extremists who's at least a couple of cans short of a six pack.
But at the same time, many posters here lump "somebody who can't wait for the legendary 'SHTF' so he can go out and blow away anybody and everybody" with people who do believe that things can "blow up" and prepare for such... but have no intention of harming anyone or even interacting with anyone. On this forum, such a person is quite often linked with someone like Kaczynski. I think this is an unfair and illogical comparison. That one wishes little interaction with society is no sign that one wishes ill on that society. I'm not a Hindu and do not believe in Hinduism... yet I hold no ill will toward Hindus or Hinduism. I've noted that a trend within society in recent years is interpreting lack of interest or lack of participation as hostility.

Even if a person has years and years worth of food, lives off on his/her own, and doesn't really integrate so well with today's society at large, that is in no way a sign that he/she is another Kaczynski or is "somebody who can't wait for the legendary 'SHTF' so he can go out and blow away anybody and everybody." Yet, on this forum, if anyone shows a tendency to be off in the fringe somewhere away from the mainstream and has more than a flashlight and bottle of water, he/she is considered some sort of danger to society. To me, that attitude is the danger to society--the idea that individuality is some sort of defect. In many cases these "off on their own" types want nothing to do with society, so are thus less of a threat than the typical Joe in society.

Of course, it could be argued that those "isolationist" types wouldn't even be here on a forum like this. It's a valid argument. They'd be out in the deserts, forests, or prairies somewhere in their little community or family "homestead" (although, I know there are a couple people here who would fit that description). However, someone has to be here to stick up for them because once a lie (from "whole cloth" as the respectable Harry Reid would say) is repeated so many times, it eventually is taken for truth.

Old 03-28-2014, 12:49 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,579,743 times
Quote:

Case in point, you have decided that only those that have an acceptable amount of provisions set aside by your standards could be considered sane, anyone with an extra bottle of asprin is going to "Blow everyone away".

You claim no-one is "dissing" preppers, while in the same breath you use the term "prepper extremists".
By mislabeling you continue and expand the disinformation to create a link in people's minds between doomers and preppers and self sufficency people, even though only an infitesimal link could be formed in the minds of thinking reasonable people away from the hyperbole and political extremist views.

This forum is for discussion, and if you wish to discuss, that means that I do not have to accept your generalizations of "prepper extremists" and can use my posts to show that you views are as jaundiced as the doomers, just the other side of the coin.
Discussion means I can post my views the same as you, so if my views doen't coincide with yours, tough.

I have nothing to do with doomers, and in your fantasy scenario as portrated in the OP, I would not be the one shooting zombies, or sacking and looting, but I would be the one that nobody would find in hundreds of thousands of acres of wilderness.

I don't ascribe to that scenario, nor do I plan or prepare for that specific situation, I am into self sufficency which includes woodcraft skills and knowing how to fashion tools from scrap or even rocks, making shelter, finding and making drinking water safe, and providing food to my family by whatever means are available.
My daily goals are to provide my family with good food, keep them warm and shelterd and safe no matter what happens, manmade or natural disaster.

Just because some of the posters here who regularly put down any who have some supplies set aside as wild eyed kooks and SHTF fantasy players, well for the sake of discussion, I feel compelled to counter the misinformation and deliberately misleading stereotypes portrayed as the norm.

I personally don't care what you believe, but there are people that read this board that are actually trying to provide for their families and prepare for emergencies. So if they want to know how to purify water if the city system goes down, I will tell them.
If they want to know how to catch wild animals for food if the grocery store isn't open for a long period, I will tell them.
If they want to know how to garden, I will tell them what I know.
If they want to harvest wild foods, I will tell them how.
If they want to know more about blacksmithing and metal work, I will tell them.
If they want to know about raising animals and processing them into food, I will tell them.

Part of being prepared is having information about how to take care of yourself in any situation, not just the ones in someone's fevered sci-fi movie fantasy.

If someone wants to know how to mow down zombie hoards in an orgy of SHTF fantasy, I will leave that to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness