Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 03:50 PM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
So people who work and pay taxes, whether they farm or do something else, are chipping in some of their tax dollars to pay farmers to make improvements.
In my understanding, this is for people who are struggling to get into farming.

It is not for any existing farmers.

One benefit would be increasing local availability to organic food.

Another benefit would be diverting regional food away from dependence on Petroleum fertilizers, and synthetic herbicides and pesticides.

There is individual 'self-sufficiency' [which I do not think these grants would help at all], and there is regional community self-sufficiency.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2014, 09:56 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
I looked into getting some of that federal grant money for farmers. 'As long as they are giving it away, anyway" sort of thing.

These grants are written so weirdly, that there is no way for any normal human to get any of it. I suspect that they are written with a specific recipient in mind, and that is who is going to get that money.

So, my suggestion is to not move to New York and don't buy that organic farm until after you learn what the terms are and whether or not you will be eligible to receive the grant.

Old 04-10-2014, 12:10 PM

1,400 posts, read 1,843,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I know community organizers now whose entire job is to try to organize unions. Whether it is school bud drivers, or church janitors, or pizza delivery boys, there are people who are paid to organize solidarity in the workplace.
Unions are a natural response to the working class being squeezed and eradicated. What would you prefer people do? 400 families own more than 150 million Americans. Many jobs have been exported - what are people supposed to do? Lay down on the streets and die of starvation? Not everyone can convert from a factory worker to a salesman or a computer programmer or whatever the job is that is left today in the race for profits. Not everyone can own a successful business either. And what about health insurance?

Old 04-10-2014, 12:23 PM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordyLordy View Post
Unions are a natural response to the working class being squeezed and eradicated. What would you prefer people do? 400 families own more than 150 million Americans. Many jobs have been exported - what are people supposed to do? Lay down on the streets and die of starvation? Not everyone can convert from a factory worker to a salesman or a computer programmer or whatever the job is that is left today in the race for profits. Not everyone can own a successful business either. And what about health insurance?
Unions were great for stopping employers from using the US Army to machine-gun their workers. Unions were good for establishing livable wages, benefits, pensions, etc.

Unions can not bring jobs back to the USA.

This thread is about people having the ability to start farms, and some of the programs available to help them to start new farms.

Old 04-10-2014, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Unions were great for stopping employers from using the US Army to machine-gun their workers. Unions were good for establishing livable wages, benefits, pensions, etc.

Unions can not bring jobs back to the USA.

This thread is about people having the ability to start farms, and some of the programs available to help them to start new farms.
You brought in the unions in one of your posts in this thread, no? I was simply referring to that.

Unions may not bring the jobs back but people are trying to protect themselves from the merciless march for profits this system has become.

Old 04-10-2014, 08:21 PM

251 posts, read 341,124 times
The NY plan is just a local micro initiative to help farm start ups. They could give millions of dollar to organic farmers it would still be nothing compared to the BILLIONS spent on agricultural subsidies to large industrial factory farms.

while I understand the anti government feelings expressed in this thread, they are directed at the wrong target IMO.

Old 04-10-2014, 08:47 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,593,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytop View Post
The NY plan is just a local micro initiative to help farm start ups. They could give millions of dollar to organic farmers it would still be nothing compared to the BILLIONS spent on agricultural subsidies to large industrial factory farms.

while I understand the anti government feelings expressed in this thread, they are directed at the wrong target IMO.
Why do people think that only the government can manage the economy? Do they really believe that no one would engage in agriculture if the government weren't paying? I raise hay with a sharecropper. I don't receive any subsidy nor do I wish one. My mortgage is private.

There will always be a market for food. There will always be capitalists interested in making money. I'd certainly invest in farmland for currently sudidized crops if the government would get out. I'd have no trouble finding anther capitalist to provide equipment and other supplies. People wouldn't starve without the government.

Or do some here believe that the role of government is to fulfill dreams?

Old 04-10-2014, 09:01 PM

302 posts, read 368,635 times
Quote:

Here is a story to be inspired about. Those hoping to become organic farmers in New York can take advantage of a new state program intended to support agriculture.

The Beginning Farmers Fund will provide new farmers with grants of up to $50,000. Organic farmers and those who plan to grow specialty crops will be given priority for the grants.

Here in our state the number of farms is growing every year, and the average age of farmers has began to drop. Younger farmers are getting into it

Hopefully with programs like this we will be seeing more farms down South.

HAHA I had to look at where you're from - calling NY 'down south' .

Thanks for the info , sounds great - worth checking out

Old 04-11-2014, 03:35 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,890,487 times
Prepare for what? SHTF?

If so, it's also the best way to become a target after the S starts falling back to the floor.

Old 04-11-2014, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Why do people think that only the government can manage the economy?
'Cause most of the jobs have been exported to foreign lands to further the bottom line of a few people? It's not like Apple or Walmart or whoever has frantically fought to retain their manufacturing in the States even at the expense of a few CEOs earning $3 million / year instead of $300 million. When that happens I will happily agree with you (but I will not hold my breath).

Quote:
Do they really believe that no one would engage in agriculture if the government weren't paying? I raise hay with a sharecropper.
In other words you are a wealthy land owner who found someone willing to take the risk of growing hay to survive and produce profits for you along the way.

Quote:
I don't receive any subsidy nor do I wish one. My mortgage is private.
For all we know, you could have plenty of money and you would own this land anyways just for pleasure. Having someone produce profit on the land at no risk to you is just a welcome pocket money.

Quote:
There will always be a market for food. There will always be capitalists interested in making money. I'd certainly invest in farmland for currently sudidized crops if the government would get out. I'd have no trouble finding anther capitalist to provide equipment and other supplies. People wouldn't starve without the government.
Just like 40+ million people would not be medically uninsured without the government? Curious, why did United Healthcare or Blue Cross/BS not insure them out of the goodness of their hearts then?

Quote:
Or do some here believe that the role of government is to fulfill dreams?
The role of the government should be to protect its people, not to enable the wolves to eat the sheep AND blame the sheep for being eaten at the same time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness