Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 02:17 PM

37,467 posts, read 61,396,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
... Yum, you tap? How much do you produce?
I am good after a gallon.

We could produce a lot more, if we could work out a better system for hauling sap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2015, 02:29 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,488,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
^^^ Aren't most of you Mainers like that? (kidding) I thought you chased all the yuppies to Vermont........
Vermont is fulla yuppies, all right, they didn't need chasin', they just sorta wanted to be together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Y
I have punched through the river ice before while hauling sap, that is an experience you do not forget.

Sub has had quite a few "memorable" experiences in Maine, as I recollect.

Old 04-03-2015, 06:13 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,763,632 times
Sub, no clue on how to improve you sap hauling system. One ludicrous thing that came to mind was a series of steel cables with pulleys that would be strong ebough for a one or two gallon bucket. Sort of like a ski lift.

LOL Nor', they can all stay in VT. As in all places, some are nice, some are d***** bags.

Old 03-01-2016, 02:28 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,602,965 times
If you have a vest pocket pistol in every chambering known including both the 2.7mm and 3mm Kolibri as well as the 4.25mm Menz Liliput you might be a survivalist.

If you know the gold content of just about all of the bullion and semibullion coins you might be a survivalist.

If you do little or no gardening but know how to forage you might be a survivalist.

If you try to figure out how to plunder the Arms and Armor gallery at the Met every time you visit you might be a survivalist.

If you know three ways to bring a gun into NYC when you are not driving a car you might be a survivalist. I do, but it's my secret. However, a smart and knowledgable survivalist can figure it out.

If you grow fruits or vegetables all year in even the harshest climates you might be a survivalist.

If you were sad when Jerry Ahern died you might be a survivalist.

If you are bewildered when you read of someone who found a treasure you might be a survivalist. You'd keep your mouth shut.

If you know that using cash instead of credit cards makes people remember you, you might be a survivalist.

If you'd like to own one of these even if you live in desert

you might be a survivalist. It's a 1942 Amphibious Seagoing Jeep. It's in the National Guard and Militia Museum of New Jersey.

Museum Exhibits | What to See | Militia Museum of New Jersey

If you read or reread this entire thread you might be a survivalist.

Old 03-01-2016, 04:12 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,951,921 times
^^^ Ah the memories of the floating jeep. My uncle got one after the war when I was a kid. He used to love chasing the car ferry with it!

Old 06-01-2016, 03:52 PM

1,850 posts, read 1,138,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordyLordy View Post
Or you could be a hoarder

Just kidding! Although I do have WAY too many jars...
Moonshine?????

Old 06-01-2016, 04:24 PM

1,168 posts, read 1,227,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
If you have a vest pocket pistol in every chambering known including both the 2.7mm and 3mm Kolibri as well as the 4.25mm Menz Liliput you might be a survivalist.

If you know the gold content of just about all of the bullion and semibullion coins you might be a survivalist.

If you do little or no gardening but know how to forage you might be a survivalist.

If you try to figure out how to plunder the Arms and Armor gallery at the Met every time you visit you might be a survivalist.

If you know three ways to bring a gun into NYC when you are not driving a car you might be a survivalist. I do, but it's my secret. However, a smart and knowledgable survivalist can figure it out.

If you grow fruits or vegetables all year in even the harshest climates you might be a survivalist.

If you were sad when Jerry Ahern died you might be a survivalist.

If you are bewildered when you read of someone who found a treasure you might be a survivalist. You'd keep your mouth shut.

If you know that using cash instead of credit cards makes people remember you, you might be a survivalist.

If you'd like to own one of these even if you live in desert

you might be a survivalist. It's a 1942 Amphibious Seagoing Jeep. It's in the National Guard and Militia Museum of New Jersey.

Museum Exhibits | What to See | Militia Museum of New Jersey

If you read or reread this entire thread you might be a survivalist.
Jerry Ahern died? Tells you what I know. I have probably 150 of his books.

Old 06-01-2016, 06:03 PM

1,168 posts, read 1,227,194 times
Here is a few. All are true of me except the last one. It was my Land Cruiser in the middle of the desert in Africa.

You might be a survivalist when you invite friends over for dinner and they ask if the food is fresh. If it is they wont come.
You might be a survivalist when suddenly your friends are knocking on your front door wanting to use the shower.
You might be a survivalist when the sheriff knocks on your door a few times a month wanting to use your phone because his dosent work.
You might be a survivalist when you are not to sure what day it is but you are pretty sure of the year.
You might be a survivalist when there is a major earthquake and you sleep thru it. Then when you find out about it a month later and ask your friends why no one called, they say they knew you were ok.
You might be a survivalist when a friend comes to visit with his new rifle, forgets to bring the ammo and you just make it for him.
You might be a survivalist when you can care less about hurricanes, tornados or 1000 year storms but hail makes you sweat.
You might be a survivalist when the snow plow drivers knock on your door and ask you to pull them out of the ditch every year.
You might be a survivalist when the hunting guides ask you where the game is.
You might be a survivalist when you are burning your wood stove in July.

You might be a survivalist when someone asks you to fix their blown head gasket on their land rover and you show up with just a file, a piece of 1/4” sheet metal, a piece of pipe, some copper sheet, a can of spray paint and a piece of cardboard and the car drives off 2 hours later.

Old 06-01-2016, 07:10 PM

Location: MA/ME (the way life should not be / the way it should be)
1,266 posts, read 1,388,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
Vermont is fulla yuppies, all right, they didn't need chasin', they just sorta wanted to be together.

Sub has had quite a few "memorable" experiences in Maine, as I recollect.

Wasnt there a thread a few months back about Maine being the second most Hippie state?

Old 06-01-2016, 09:15 PM

2,309 posts, read 3,850,601 times
you kiss your lama with your eyes open?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness