Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 11:49 PM

23,219 posts, read 29,040,205 times

Advertisements

With a big gas-guzzling SUV, how far can you get on a little more than a gallon of gas? 15 miles? And if these people were preparers, why on earth buy a new gas-guzzling SUV!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2014, 07:51 AM

13,131 posts, read 20,990,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
With a big gas-guzzling SUV, how far can you get on a little more than a gallon of gas? 15 miles? And if these people were preparers, why on earth buy a new gas-guzzling SUV!!!
This is not about the vehicvle they drive, its about being prepared. If I can afford an Escalade as by personal vehilce and also use is as my BOV, what's it to you if its expensive or not? If I'm topping off the tank with that 1 gallon, isn't that what all the prepper nut jobs say a person is to do; be 100% prepared at all times? If your upset that some of us can afford a luxuary SUV's with an extended gas tank and concealed ballistic covering, thats your problem. Don't take out your frustation of being poor and unable to afford the proper protection while traveling and try to make it a negative for us. I am better protected while I travel than you will ever be. If you don't like people with luxuary SUV's, come out and say that, but this lame attempt to condem us under some guise of not being prepared, that just makes you look sad.

Old 05-21-2014, 09:15 AM

1,400 posts, read 1,843,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
This is not about the vehicvle they drive, its about being prepared. If I can afford an Escalade as by personal vehilce and also use is as my BOV, what's it to you if its expensive or not? If I'm topping off the tank with that 1 gallon, isn't that what all the prepper nut jobs say a person is to do; be 100% prepared at all times? If your upset that some of us can afford a luxuary SUV's with an extended gas tank and concealed ballistic covering, thats your problem. Don't take out your frustation of being poor and unable to afford the proper protection while traveling and try to make it a negative for us. I am better protected while I travel than you will ever be. If you don't like people with luxuary SUV's, come out and say that, but this lame attempt to condem us under some guise of not being prepared, that just makes you look sad.
This idea that so long as you have toilet paper, sorry, dollars and you are paying for a service or a material - you are absolved of any responsibility - well, frankly, I find it weird. Living on this planet you have a responsibility towards it, for example. The dollars you spend at the pump for the 5mpg luxury SUV also fuel wars and deaths of 100s of thousands of people, not to mention widespread environmental destruction in your own country (heck, it could be your own neighbor's ranch or tomorrow your own ranch if you don't own the mineral rights).

This is a public forum and I would be within my freedoms and rights to laugh at the guy who drives the 5mpg Escalade that cost upwards of who-knows-how-much-$$$. Obviously, it is their "right" but it does not stop me from laughing at them or feeling sorry for them or whatever, which is my right

In reality, the Western civilization is suffering from one giant Bystander Effect (Bystander effect - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). We all pay our share of what we use through some fictional-paper-for-the-real-thing system, we apparently have an inherent right to it and damn the real thing we are paying for or whatever happens to everything around us...

Old 05-21-2014, 11:24 AM

738 posts, read 999,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordyLordy View Post
...The dollars you spend at the pump for the 5mpg luxury SUV also fuel wars and deaths of 100s of thousands of people, not to mention widespread environmental destruction in your own country (heck, it could be your own neighbor's ranch or tomorrow your own ranch if you don't own the mineral rights).
May I respectfully submit then, if this is the standard by which social responsibility is measured, aren't we all guilty of the same?...assuming that all means everyone who drives a vehicle -OR- uses plastics -OR- takes prescribed pharmaceuticals -OR- uses chemical fertilizers -OR- has shingles on their home -OR- owns headphones, a television, a computer, an electric coffeemaker, sheet protectors, shower curtain, clothes, etc...all of which are (in whole or in part) derived from big oil. I guess then, it could be argued that the person with the 14 mpg Escalade who doesn't take pharmaceuticals or use chemical fertilizers on his garden could be just as socially responsible as the person who rides a bike but lives pretty much like everyone else.

And certainly not to belabor the point, but I do recall seeing a program that featured a prepper who converted an old military vehicle for use as his 'bug out' vehicle. The thing did run on diesel (still a crude byproduct) but it only got 4 mpg. And yet this person was lauded for being well-prepared. I guess I don't understand why there is a double standard?

For me, being prepared is simply that. I do the things I do for the well-being of my family first, friends second. I keep my vehicle topped off and ready to go. I view this as a good thing to do, and can't fault others for doing the same.

RVcook

Old 05-21-2014, 12:08 PM

1,344 posts, read 3,405,190 times
Phew. I'm off the hook. My truck gets 17MPG so I'm a greenie.

Old 05-21-2014, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVcook View Post
May I respectfully submit then, if this is the standard by which social responsibility is measured, aren't we all guilty of the same?...assuming that all means everyone who drives a vehicle -OR- uses plastics -OR- takes prescribed pharmaceuticals -OR- uses chemical fertilizers -OR- has shingles on their home -OR- owns headphones, a television, a computer, an electric coffeemaker, sheet protectors, shower curtain, clothes, etc...all of which are (in whole or in part) derived from big oil. I guess then, it could be argued that the person with the 14 mpg Escalade who doesn't take pharmaceuticals or use chemical fertilizers on his garden could be just as socially responsible as the person who rides a bike but lives pretty much like everyone else.

And certainly not to belabor the point, but I do recall seeing a program that featured a prepper who converted an old military vehicle for use as his 'bug out' vehicle. The thing did run on diesel (still a crude byproduct) but it only got 4 mpg. And yet this person was lauded for being well-prepared. I guess I don't understand why there is a double standard?

RVcook
So what you are saying, in essence, is that the world is black and white, there are no shades of gray and that if you are going to use fuel, you should use as much as possible and as inefficiently as possible, you should destroy as much as you can wherever you can etc.? Since everyone is using _something_ you may as well be justified in using as much as your heart desires, right?

Curious, why not adopt the "least damage, least usage" as your standard - why adopt the "top" instead? Now I don't understand

Old 05-21-2014, 05:02 PM

738 posts, read 999,605 times
Quote:
So what you are saying, in essence, is that the world is black and white, there are no shades of gray and that if you are going to use fuel, you should use as much as possible and as inefficiently as possible, you should destroy as much as you can wherever you can etc.? Since everyone is using _something_ you may as well be justified in using as much as your heart desires, right?

Curious, why not adopt the "least damage, least usage" as your standard - why adopt the "top" instead? Now I don't understand
Uhhh...no...that is not what I'm saying. And don't worry, it's OK that you don't understand...

RVcook

Old 05-21-2014, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVcook View Post
Uhhh...no...that is not what I'm saying. And don't worry, it's OK that you don't understand...
Then what are you saying? You said we are ALL guilty for using certain things but I got the distinct feeling we are all EQUALLY guilty. Or am I just terribly confused?

Old 05-22-2014, 12:25 AM

13,131 posts, read 20,990,305 times
Quote:
This idea that so long as you have toilet paper, sorry, dollars and you are paying for a service or a material - you are absolved of any responsibility - well, frankly, I find it weird. Living on this planet you have a responsibility towards it, for example.

So, what I'm hearing from you is that prepping has a "socially responsible" standard above and beyond being prepared. Is there a "Green Seal" of approval on preparedness supplies, such as one box of bullets were made from sustainable resources, and the water filter uses 50% recycled material, or no animals were harmed in the making of the emergency medical kit????? What is the standard that defines when developing emergency plans and supplies no longer becomes acceptable from a social perspective?

Quote:
This is a public forum and I would be within my freedoms and rights to laugh at the guy who drives the 5mpg Escalade that cost upwards of who-knows-how-much-$$$. Obviously, it is their "right" but it does not stop me from laughing at them or feeling sorry for them or whatever, which is my right

Is it the luxury, cost to purchase, or the mpg that is really eating you up? What I find laughable and the person I feel sorry for is the one who sets a standard that is just above what they can obtain so they always are within some acceptable standard. But, they ignore the fact that there are always those who are below that standard. So, that would make everyone who buys and consumes any commercial product guilty of not being socially responsible because some will always unable to buy and consumer a commercial product.

Heck, why not draw the line at electric vehicles; they don’t use any fuel at point of use so by your standards all gasoline powered vehicles are evil and contributing to the decay of society.

We are discussing emergency preparedness and planning, not a debate over social responsibility to society. Considering all the lead in bullets, maybe you want us to exchange our weapons for sustainable bamboo spears? Your conversation is pathetic.

Old 05-22-2014, 12:22 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,273,929 times
I don't think anyone who has not been thru a disaster can say they are completely ready. Having supplies on hand is reasonable, but the mental part cannot be prepared for (at least in my opinion). I had been thru Hurricanes Betsy (I was too young to understand) and Camille (old enough to understand, young enough to still be stupid). Hurricane Katrina was my first direct hit.

We had more than enough supplies. Nothing I had ever experienced, or read, prepared me for the mental/physical reaction I had to the hurricane. That weird feeling that time slowed down; the tunnel vision - I fixated on the green pine cones slamming against my house completing ignoring the trees crashing down; the loss of physical coordination and the feeling of complete helplessness.

That was in '05 and I still have 'water' dreams. In the most common, I am driving at night when the clouds part and a full moon lights up everything. I am surrounded by black water in a lake like setting and I can't determine if I am still on the road. I can only go forward (for some reason); I can't go back. I can't find the road. In the dream, I get out of my car, walk forward feeling the pavement beneath my feet, then get back into the car and drive forward a few feet. I repeat this until I reach dry land. I usually wake up when I reach land. I don't know how long I will have these dreams, it just part of what I went thru.

I don't think I will have the same reaction to another hurricane, but I hope I will never experience a direct hit. I think part of my coping is the dreams. I have spoken to other people who went thru Katrina and who experienced the same thing I did. Some of them don't prep because they don't believe it will happen again to them. Perhaps that is their way of coping.

All I can say is that only a fool doesn't prepare as much as possible. Unfortunately, there always seem to be a plentiful supply of fools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness