Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2014, 04:18 PM

1,400 posts, read 1,843,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
This is agricultural welfare; it's as bad as any other. The solution is to sell all federal lands at auction to let them find their highest use. Some BLM land would be unsalable; some would be sold to developers; most would go to agriculturists or investors wishing to lease land to them at market rates.
Yeah, damn the opportunity for people like me to go and ride my horse on lands I could never own in my lifetime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2014, 08:07 PM

2,707 posts, read 6,231,372 times
Quote:
There's a growing trend on c-d to remove the name of the poster from quotations. This is not helpful.
I've done this since about '07. I must be a trend setter.

It's irrelevant who said it. I'm not responding to the person, but rather the comment.

Old 10-11-2014, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsMeFred View Post
I've done this since about '07. I must be a trend setter.

It's irrelevant who said it. I'm not responding to the person, but rather the comment.
The only problem with that is that the reader cannot go back to the original comment (has no clue where to look for it) and try and understand the whole context of the post you have replied to. You are stripping essential info.

Old 10-11-2014, 09:34 AM

25,690 posts, read 18,777,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I looked for far more from you; I don't mean political rhetoric.
My "mute button" (meaning voluntarily "muting" myself) has been largely engaged for the past months. Life is much more tranquil that way. And I'm all about tranquility.

We live largely in a time where minds are rendered from granite and by making comments that are counter to, or a challenge upon, the ideas chiseled upon those monolithic granite ... Ah. No. There I go again. I have to actively monitor my words, lest I have a relapse.

Quote:
Oh come on now. You know you like to be a bully at times, just the same as the rest of us.

Old 10-11-2014, 10:12 AM

417 posts, read 1,128,214 times
Quote:
I think that's somewhat the point...

Consequently, it's utterly silly to romanticize some period of time. It merely displays an ignorance of the whole picture of the era... (or an utter disregard for others, but I prefer to think ignorance rather than deliberate indifference.)
While it's true that some people do romanticize the past, the OP and most of the others posting in this thread are very well informed about the era we're discussing, both the positive and negative. In my own case, I would choose to live in a bygone era - say, 1880 - because I am more in tune with the morals and the tenets of society then. Living in today's world, I find that I am unfairly judged for choosing to not hold a job outside the home, for choosing to allow my husband to be the decision maker, for choosing to live simply and frugally as opposed to following the trend of going into debt to buy every new gadget that comes out on the market. I've wasted many years trying to conform, but it has always felt unnatural and alien to me, and in the end I am still looked down upon for not "wanting" the life modern culture dictates that I should want. I would gladly take yesteryear, both bad and good!

Old 10-11-2014, 10:21 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,595,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Oh come on now. You know you like to be a bully at times, just the same as the rest of us.
No, I don't, but I'm sometimes forced to do so. There are people who only enter a discussion to undermine and disrupt it, e.g., the antigunner who invades a technical discussion of guns. Self-interest dictates that I do my best to inform others to create a better environment.

I never quote out of context.

Old 10-11-2014, 10:59 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,823,165 times
Quote:
Nah.
So long as you have enough grass, horses are very little work. I have a half dozen currently. The only one that takes any daily work is our geriatric old kids' horse. She's a hard-keeper.
But the rest of them are all pretty much pasture, water, wormings as needed… No biggie.
I disagree. if you properly take care of horses they can take several hours a day .just cleaning stalls can take a lot of time. unless the horse earns a living they also can be expensive to maintain with vet fee and feed. Plus land needed and facilities to properly care for them. Daily here the county is investigating owners for cruelty to animal charges of people who don't do so.

Old 10-11-2014, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I disagree. if you properly take care of horses they can take several hours a day .just cleaning stalls can take a lot of time. unless the horse earns a living they also can be expensive to maintain with vet fee and feed. Plus land needed and facilities to properly care for them. Daily here the county is investigating owners for cruelty to animal charges of people who don't do so.
Thank you for pointing this out. I can't tell you how many times I have seen horses sitting lonely in some pasture where they had been dumped by their dumb owners. Sometimes days go by before they notice an injury. Some people do not even call a vet for the horse, not worth it to them. Got horses? Need a truck and a trailer, land, fencing, shelter, they need training, tack etc,. - how much does all that cost?

Old 10-12-2014, 08:36 AM

2,707 posts, read 6,231,372 times
Quote:
The only problem with that is that the reader cannot go back to the original comment (has no clue where to look for it) and try and understand the whole context of the post you have replied to. You are stripping essential info.
If anyone genuinely cares, all they have to do is copy a piece of the text in question, hit control-F and paste it in. It takes about three seconds total. Your browser will automatically highlight it. You might even have to go back a page or two, in which case, maybe it's up to 20 seconds by now.
But I'm not really worried if someone can or can't follow a conversation I'm specifically having with another person at the moment…
(There's also the secondary issue of people tending to dismiss something simply because a certain poster said it and they have some little playground-feud going with them. I try not to do that, which is why I like to separate the comments from the poster's name. But mostly, it's just easier to grab something with a quick copy, and then paste it into the comments box. It's royal PIA to quote three different people in the same reply.)

Quote:
just cleaning stalls can take a lot of time.
Cleaning stalls?
Even when we lived in North Dakota, the only time my horses have EVER been in a stall is during the county fair.
And they're always goggle-eyed when they first go in. In a horse's mind, a building is essentially a big cave that they're going to be trapped in.

Horses are a prey, herd animal. In the wild, they're loose on hundreds of thousands/millions of acres with dozens of herd-mates. Putting them in a stall is one of the worst things you can do to them (it's why they develop so many vices, after all, when they're stalled regularly). You've taken away their herd-safety, you've taken away their ability to flee and you've confined their movement.
Ideally, they should be on grass, with room to run, with at least one other herd mate.

Quote:
Need a truck and a trailer, land, fencing, shelter, they need training, tack etc,. - how much does all that cost?
Guns are expensive. Getting an education is expensive. Baking bread from scratch is expensive. Owning land is expensive. Owning a vehicle is expensive.
What's your point?

Last edited by itsMeFred; 10-12-2014 at 08:49 AM..

Old 10-12-2014, 10:06 AM

25,690 posts, read 18,777,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordyLordy View Post
Thank you for pointing this out. I can't tell you how many times I have seen horses sitting lonely in some pasture where they had been dumped by their dumb owners. Sometimes days go by before they notice an injury.
This will go off topic, but you reminded me of something that is fresh in my mind that just happened in my area. There is a small pasture in the area called the "River Bottoms." It's large enough to sustain one, possibly two horses with grass (etc). It has no water supply for the horses, so the owner has to pump water from the nearby river every few days into what is essentially a plastic wading pool. I've been aware of this pasture and see the horses every day. Except in the winter, there have been two horses there for years.

This year, four horses have been in the pasture. They have pretty much taken the grass to stubble. The horses aren't starving, but they are not in optimum shape, either. The owner hasn't been taking care of them and they have matted manes and tails (full of burrs and weeds). I have been annoyed with this all summer. But as I said, they are not starving. They are however, being neglected.

Well... about three weeks ago, the local irrigation/water users company completely dammed the local river (that is an infuriating topic in itself), and diverted the water to the local irrigation canal system. They are building a new dam on the river. Until the company got too many complaints (and I hope a lawsuit!), the river was bone dry for miles. I watched the "wading pool" that the horses drank out of become more and more putrid and drain away each day as the horses drank it. Finally, there was hardly anything left in it and the horses had no other source of water. Just as I was about to see who I could talk to about this (an authority, I've never seen the owner), the irrigation company diverted some of the water back into the river downstream, but above where the clown that owns the horses pumps his water. So, one day, I saw the pumping gear (portable gas pump) and a full pool of water. I also saw a bale of alfalfa broken up and scattered near the pool. I even saw that the horses had been curried and "deburred." I hope the jerk that owns the horses got threatened with legal action. Or at least a fine.

Off topic, irrelevant to the forum I know, but this sort of thing really burns me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness