Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2015, 05:07 PM

3,122 posts, read 2,066,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Yeah, right. Disproved by history revisionists. It's quite outlandish that "historians" do not, in our day and age, for the most part even look at the actual written records of the time by the "normal people" who lived them, but rather, rhetorical essays, political theoreticians' ramblings, and social reformers' sour grapes from the times. Their voices were no more accurate then than they are now. The real "heartbeat of the time" was/is written by the masses who lived in the time, not the small minority who were disgruntled or otherwise had some sort of axe to grind or grand social cause.

If you do not believe it, first ask a group of marxists or "community organizers" in our day about his/her take on our times. Then ask a group crack heads living in a homeless shelter. Then ask a group of the people who bust their asses every day to support themselves, live typical lives, and spend their free time with their family and friends doing what it is most people do these days. Do you you think you will get equivalent responses? And out of those three response samples, which is the more accurate view of our "life and times" for the typical middle-American Joe?

Unfortunately, I see "historians" these days typically referring to the displaced, downtrodden, revolutionaries, tyrants, or otherwise disgruntled members of society from a given era when painting their picture of "the way things were." How about a more balanced view of the times?

For example, none of my ancestors were particularly wealthy. Most were dirt poor. On my mother's side they were "Okies" (of French and Irish heritage) who migrated to California during the depression after they lost their small farm in Missouri. On the other side, they were, for the most part, immigrants from Norway and Iceland. Every one of them came here dirt poor with barely enough to pay for a cruise ticket across the Atlantic--which they'd saved for in some cases for years. In reading from their journals (those who wrote them), I trust what I read in those journals way more than I trust what modern "historians" write of the times. I see how they actually lived. I see their concerns, their joys, their trials, and everything that made them what they were. I see their take on society around them, good and bad. THAT, to me, is history. Real words from real people--not crazies, radicals, and losers, and NOT rhetoric from someone who wants to paint a new picture of a time long past.
I can't rep you again until I spread it around. People who are trained to trust secondary sources for any given era never bother to study primary sources. Their loss.

Last edited by SimplySagacious; 06-19-2015 at 05:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2015, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Why can't the people who wish to have political discussions take their arguments to Politics and Other Controversies? It's obvious that ognend as well as another Democrat, a new and unneeded arrival, would prefer a forum devoted to government assistance since that seems to be the sort of world they wish.

There is even a thread that ognend started just to decry the eighties. Democrats today seem to have no ability to do anything but denounce their betters. The little men of 1880 had no means of affecting the world as a whole when they spewed their filth. Would that that were so today!

We had another little man a few days ago who claimed to be a historian. Curious, I looked at a few of his other posts. I immediately saw one in which he said that he made $10.50 per hour.

I do admit that we lacked good potters in 1880. Bathroom fixtures were steel and would remain that way for most of the next twenty years. Surprisingly, wood sometimes found uses. I was once in a restroom in an old business buidling. The wall-mounted toilet tank which was probably seventy-five years old at the time, early sixties, was made of wood. Neither it nor its brass pull chain was unattractive.

Steel plumbing fixtures seem not to have survived, but there may be some objects of interest at this dealer's website. I try to find sources of interesting products used in the home and office of 1880. These are for sale.

Vintage Plumbing Bathroom Antiques - Toilets, Showers, & Etc.
I don't know if I should thank or curse you for that link. I plan to begin a bathroom remodel in about 8 weeks but had not considered a period restoration. Until now.

Old 06-19-2015, 06:00 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,485,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
I don't know if I should thank or curse you for that link. I plan to begin a bathroom remodel in about 8 weeks but had not considered a period restoration. Until now.
It's a great way to get around the 1.6 gallon flush issue, as well as being good lookin'!

Old 06-19-2015, 06:27 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,597,926 times
Quote:
I was initially surprised to see the bidets in the bathroom illustrations. Then I recalled that hygiene was extremely important at the time.

I hope that you construct a period bathroom. The homeliest of arttifacts ofen invoke the past in ways that arts and literature cannot. People have always studied the latter, but the former form a far more intimate part of our daily lives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
It's a great way to get around the 1.6 gallon flush issue, as well as being good lookin'!
Some might say that our ancestors were more wasteful, but I consider them to have been more practical and to have cultivated a sense of aesthetics seldom found today.

This is the sort of exchange I foresaw when I began this thread.

Old 06-20-2015, 03:46 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,485,013 times
Quote:
This is the sort of exchange I foresaw when I began this thread.
...and just think, it only took you 33 pages of rancor and vitriol to get here!

Old 06-20-2015, 07:55 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,529,442 times
Default Live 1880, the best time in American history.

No thanks!

While there are definitely some attractive aspects to that era, I've grown too accustomed to modern conveniences like refrigerators and pickup trucks. Not to mention personal hygiene. Daily showers and antiperspirants > everyone smelling like dirty armpits or worse.

Nope!

I like my beer cold and my showers hot.

Old 06-20-2015, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
The other bath in the house has a vintage elongated toilet. I think it's attractive compared to the standard cheap-looking ones today. It doesn't have fancy details like at the link, or this 1910 bowl Edwardian Toilet | 109217 |

Quote:
I was initially surprised to see the bidets in the bathroom illustrations. Then I recalled that hygiene was extremely important at the time.

I hope that you construct a period bathroom. The homeliest of arttifacts ofen invoke the past in ways that arts and literature cannot. People have always studied the latter, but the former form a far more intimate part of our daily lives.
:
I like the bidet too, and the shower.

We've decided to travel to a couple of architectural salvage places we've used in the past for restoration before we settle for replicas. I'm sure we will find some things we can use, but old bathroom fixtures aren't practical. Many of the old toilets have hairline cracks.

Old 06-20-2015, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
No thanks!

While there are definitely some attractive aspects to that era, I've grown too accustomed to modern conveniences like refrigerators and pickup trucks. Not to mention personal hygiene. Daily showers and antiperspirants > everyone smelling like dirty armpits or worse.
Why can't you enjoy your pickup truck and still enjoy those attractive aspects to that era? Why does it have to be either one or the other?

The OP hasn't advocated giving up all modern tools and conveniences. He's still using a computer to post here. In his first post he stated that he has no intention of giving up modern life-saving medications.

Is the concept that difficult to grasp?

Old 06-20-2015, 10:40 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,597,926 times
Quote:
I like the bidet too, and the shower.

We've decided to travel to a couple of architectural salvage places we've used in the past for restoration before we settle for replicas. I'm sure we will find some things we can use, but old bathroom fixtures aren't practical. Many of the old toilets have hairline cracks.
If you inspect the toilet and tank there shouldn't be a problem. When I say inspect I mean go over it thoroughly with a pocket microscope. I know it's time consuming, but it's worth it for a treasure.

Amazon.com : Carson 60X-100X MicroMax LED Lighted Pocket Microscope (MM-200) : Camera & Photo

You'd probably prefer an instrument of a different sort, however. Henry David Thoreau mentions carrying a pocket microscope in The Maine Woods published in 1864. I know that Thoreau was an abolitionist , but that was only one part of him.

This is an interesting website. The owner is a true enthusiast.

Bausch & Lomb Optical Co., Rochester N.Y. U.S.A., #162120, c. 1923. The No. 40 Model Pocket Microscope

Botanical microscope Dollond London c.1830

http://www.antique-microscopes.com/photos/flower.htm

Old 06-20-2015, 11:20 AM

Quote:
If you inspect the toilet and tank there shouldn't be a problem. When I say inspect I mean go over it thoroughly with a pocket microscope. I know it's time consuming, but it's worth it for a treasure.

Amazon.com : Carson 60X-100X MicroMax LED Lighted Pocket Microscope (MM-200) : Camera & Photo

You'd probably prefer an instrument of a different sort, however. Henry David Thoreau mentions carrying a pocket microscope in The Maine Woods published in 1864. I know that Thoreau was an abolitionist , but that was only one part of him.

This is an interesting website. The owner is a true enthusiast.

Bausch & Lomb Optical Co., Rochester N.Y. U.S.A., #162120, c. 1923. The No. 40 Model Pocket Microscope

Botanical microscope Dollond London c.1830

Botanical compass microscope c. 1850
I have a pocket black light that I use to inspect antiques for damage, repairs and fakery. If I can find a bowl without cracks and conspicuous chips, at a reasonable price, I will get it. The problem is finding one without damage. Many of them were damaged during careless removal from old bathrooms, and then many have been thrown around a lot since removal. For decades in some cases.

Good links!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness