Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2016, 03:56 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,599,129 times

Advertisements

I'm providing a link to a new thread that should be of interest to folks here. Jeff Williams will be on a podcast today. His short video is set in Tuscarora, Nevada, a boomtown of 1880.

Talk to Jeff Williams today at 7:30 P.M. EST.

Tuscarora - Nevada Ghost Town
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2016, 12:14 PM

3,122 posts, read 2,066,293 times
I caught several minutes of the live podcast. I thought there might be a recorded version of it to listen to the rest, but haven't looked yet.

I agree with your comments on gold and silver in the other thread.

The most famous early American silversmith was a patriot everyone knows. Paul Revere Paul Revere, Jr. (1734?1818) | Thematic Essay | Heilbrunn Timeline of Art History | The Metropolitan Museum of Art Pics of some of his work at the link.

Most American silver wares before 1860 were coin, 90%. The sterling standard of 92.5% was established after that. I have a few pieces of early coin silverware by lesser-known smiths, 1790-1825.

Tiffany, Gorham and a few others produced sterling (holloware, flatware and smalls like snuff boxes, watch fobs, etc.). They catered to the wealthier consumers.

By the 1880s, American silver manufacturers were popping up all over to meet the demands of the burgeoning middle class. The majority of people were prospering and even those on the lower end could afford plated wares. While plated wares have no intrinsic value, they have decorative, utilitarian and historical value. Much of it survives today in near-perfect condition, which is a testament to the quality of mass-production back then.

Many people sold their antique sterling and coin for melt in the early 1980s. What a shame.

One of these days, I will take and post photos of the 1880s silver I use on a daily basis.

Old 01-12-2016, 10:32 PM

Jeff Williams is on their archived podcasts as well. It would be good to start with the first one. This is a tiny field of interest but the people involved are very enthusiastic. It was both saddening and surprising to see not only the lack of interest here but the real anger.

Now to another topic we have discussed before: pedal-power vehicles.

I found a website dedicated to originals. This website has a great deal of material so do take a look. Their message board is busy and active.

The Wheelmen - Antique Bicycles

Old 01-13-2016, 05:25 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,485,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Now to another topic we have discussed before: pedal-power vehicles.

I found a website dedicated to originals. This website has a great deal of material so do take a look. Their message board is busy and active.

The Wheelmen - Antique Bicycles

Just went over there, and LOVED the old bikes! I think I mentioned to you once that I have a couple of the old high-wheelers in a barn back in RI. The wife and I have couple of nice mountain bikes up here, and a motley assortment of used ones for the grandkids, when they come up.

For those who cannot afford a real bug-out vehicle, the bike is the next best thing. You'll probably get a lot farther on a bike than in a vehicle anyway - and you can't beat the gas mileage!

Old 01-20-2016, 01:43 PM

All the talk of the blizzard forecast reminded me of this:

January 12, 1888 was an unseasonably warm day from Montana to Minnesota, and south to Texas. Around the time school was letting out, the temperature dropped and a blizzard hit. Visibility was suddenly near zero as children tried to walk home. It was described as ice dust.

Some children died trying to find their way home. Some teachers kept children at school overnight, burning desks to stay warm enough to survive. One teacher tried to take children from school to her home less than 90 yards away; the children died of hypothermia and the teacher lost both feet to frostbite. Some became disoriented, lost and died in their own yards because they couldn't see their houses.

Many residents in the region were Northern European immigrants but had never seen anything like it or understood how bad it was.

More than 200 were reported dead, many were children. The storm was dubbed "The Children's Blizzard."

A blizzard of equal severity today would cause loss of life, even with advance warning. Many would be caught without provisions or heat in their homes, in cars and at work, not only risking their own lives, but also the lives of their rescuers.

The Children's Blizzard: David Laskin: 9780060520762: Amazon.com: Books

Old 01-20-2016, 04:46 PM

That is fascinating; I never knew about it.. Sorry I couldn't rep you yet.

Wouldn't it be wonderful if that would happen in Washington, D.C. just as federal employees were all coming out to go home?

Old 01-20-2016, 05:22 PM

There was another blizzard that year (1888) in March. East coast, higher population, more people and animals died.
Great Blizzard of ’88 hits East Coast - Mar 11, 1888 - HISTORY.com

Old 01-20-2016, 11:19 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,485,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post

Wouldn't it be wonderful if that would happen in Washington, D.C. just as federal employees were all coming out to go home?
Yes, it would!

But unless the winds were severe enough to topple the White House and Congress, the effects would be limited and short-lived!

Old 01-26-2016, 01:22 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,681,887 times
I may have already posted on this threat before, so...

Anyway, I liked the TV series "Deadwood." Looks like a nice place to spend some time, if you could go back to that time.

Old 01-26-2016, 03:05 PM

When I was quite young my grandmother told me about coming to the Columbian Exposition of 1893. It should have been a year earlier, but they didn't have it open to the public until the next year. I was absolutely thrilled by her stories and wished that I could have been there.

The Philadelphia Mint struck its first commemorative coins for the fair, half dollars with Columbus on the obverse in 1892 and 1893 as well as the quarter with Queen Isabella on the obverse in 1893. Many of the halves were unsold and the mint later released them along with regular issue halves. I actually received one in change about 1950.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World%...ian_Exposition

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Columbian_half_dollar

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isabella_quarter
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness