Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2016, 12:15 PM

3,100 posts, read 2,046,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
There was also Charles Tufts who owned a brickmaking establishment and who donated one hundred acres for Tufts College, later Tufts University.

Another James Tufts, born in New Hampshire, was an attorney and boomer politician who served in the legislatures of Nebraska, idaho, and Montana. All four of these men were educated and successful New Englanders; all four share the same current obscurity. I have not been able to find evidence that some or all were related although that seems likely. I performed the currently obligatory internet search and checked the Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia as well as the 1911 and 1941 editions of Encyclopedia Brittanica in my library. I found no articles on any of these men.
James W. lived throughout the 1880s and may be the most widely remembered among the Tufts surname. He is known to golfers and equestrians because of Pinehurst. Also to snowbirds; I think Pinehurst was the first snowbird resort in the US.

He is also known to collectors and museums. Aside from inventing the soda fountain, he produced a full line of high quality silverplated wares, many of which have survived. I'm not a Tufts collector but do own one piece of his. Scans of his catalogues are in the Smithsonian digital collection and can be viewed there or on archive.org.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2016, 01:20 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,560,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKezarWoodsman View Post
Im more concerned about the cost of accumulating that estate, and the cost to maintain it. A Railroad would cost a fortune.
Building wealth doesn't cost; it earns. There's nothing so enjoyable as making money. You can start today.

Panning in MA

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
James W. lived throughout the 1880s and may be the most widely remembered among the Tufts surname. He is known to golfers and equestrians because of Pinehurst. Also to snowbirds; I think Pinehurst was the first snowbird resort in the US.

He is also known to collectors and museums. Aside from inventing the soda fountain, he produced a full line of high quality silverplated wares, many of which have survived. I'm not a Tufts collector but do own one piece of his. Scans of his catalogues are in the Smithsonian digital collection and can be viewed there or on archive.org.
Thank you. I find that interesting. He was certainly on target for the times in his marketting. I think that I knew that there is a golf course named Pinehurst, but I knew nothing about it beyond that.

Old 09-27-2016, 10:06 PM

Location: MA/ME (the way life should not be / the way it should be)
1,266 posts, read 1,381,250 times
While many of these could make money today, i am at a loss as to how a private railroad (i am assuming only on your property), could make money. Atleast the blacksmith shop could provide income which overtime would offset its original costs (which still would have to be paid).

Old 09-27-2016, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
Probably the only way to find out for sure -- if it's important enough to you -- is the have a genealogist run a family tree. Or, you could do so yourself at a site like Ancestry.com, which is where the genealogists go to look it up. Either way, it shouldn't be very costly.
I was given a link once to a website like ancestry but free. I never used it as i got grandfathered into ancestry when its free version shut down (as well as having found most info i was looking for) so i cant tell you about how good it is. I believe it was familysearch.org.

Old 09-27-2016, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKezarWoodsman View Post
While many of these could make money today, i am at a loss as to how a private railroad (i am assuming only on your property), could make money. Atleast the blacksmith shop could provide income which overtime would offset its original costs (which still would have to be paid).
You're confusing the fruits of wealth with the building of wealth.

Old 09-28-2016, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
You're confusing the fruits of wealth with the building of wealth.
Im assuming your refering to the "fruits" as the item itself, with the building of wealth as actually having tangeable money and not objects? Or vice versa.

Old 10-07-2016, 11:46 AM

I found an amazing website on foot powered machinery. There are so many wonderful machines and businesses described, I've linked to a particularly interesting page in the website. I'm posting a fantastic video as well.

This is a winner.

Lathe – #4 1/2 Metal « Foot Powered Machinery

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4ODmATbU2o

Old 10-10-2016, 12:49 AM

If you have a smithy here's an interesting tool. I didn't know that these existed before I found the video. They come in different sizes to handle different sorts of work. They are still made.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wz2DcSwARiw

Old 10-10-2016, 08:37 AM

6,753 posts, read 8,540,542 times
Interesting,

I can see how that would be handy, especially for fullering in a long piece like a sword. It's the same as the modern power hammer, just not as powerful, but I can see where it would be a nice tool to have, and could be built by the smith in his shop to his own needs.

Very cool!!

Thank you HIW

Old 10-14-2016, 07:42 PM

I recently decided to watch all of Jeff Williams' videos in chronological order. This is one of the first I found; it's a winner. He casually mentions making blueprints from a photograph. How many can do that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cstDlAcTqlU
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness