Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2018, 12:05 PM

219 posts, read 163,479 times

Advertisements

If you don't want to live in the era that far back, check out gdonna.com. They like the mid 40s era and she has some good info on changing your lifestyle.

I am looking forward to getting out of the suburbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2018, 12:22 PM

35,045 posts, read 16,987,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
And women had the vote, I think.
Nope. Not until 1920.
Wyoming legislators write the first state constitution to grant women the vote

I'm off by nine years, not by 20 years. But that was because Wyoming did not become a state until 1890, but the organizing convention voted for women to get the vote on September 30, 1890. Wyoming - U.S. States - HISTORY.com.

And the Wyoming Territory gave women the right to vote in 1869, followed by Utah Territory in 1870.

Old 05-24-2018, 01:32 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,803,058 times
Quote:
Wyoming legislators write the first state constitution to grant women the vote

I'm off by nine years, not by 20 years. But that was because Wyoming did not become a state until 1890, but the organizing convention voted for women to get the vote on September 30, 1890. Wyoming - U.S. States - HISTORY.com.

And the Wyoming Territory gave women the right to vote in 1869, followed by Utah Territory in 1870.
Sorry. I didn’t realize this thread was specific to just Wyoming and Utah.

Old 05-24-2018, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Wyoming even had Yellowstone National Park in 1880; founded in 1872. And women had the vote, I think.
Quote:
Nope. Not until 1920.
Quote:
Sorry. I didn’t realize this thread was specific to just Wyoming and Utah.
Doesn't bother me. The point was that Wyoming had woman suffrage early on.

Old 05-27-2018, 10:47 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,599,129 times
People in the eighties enjoyed vacations just as people do today. Colorado had a tourist industry from the earliest times. The railroad to the summit of Pikes Peak opened in 1889. The railroad will be closed for 2018; it will probably never open again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdYf5CjCoPU

Last edited by Happy in Wyoming; 05-27-2018 at 11:13 AM..

Old 06-01-2018, 06:49 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,623,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
Believe me, I completely understand the frustration of living today when the federal law enforcement is corrupt, one of the main political parties is completely consumed with a baseless witch hunt, and the media is feeding us a daily ration of compost.

Back in the 1800's, there was no real national police force. The US Marshals came closest to that, but were mostly for investigating federal crimes or in the territories where there was no law or areas claimed by the feds like the Indian Territory.
The government didn't have anywhere near the power they do today, most of the modern government offices started during WWI with Wilson creating them and centralizing power with the fed and taking it from the states.

Interestingly, the local newspapers boasted about their political leanings sometimes including "Republican" or "Democrat" in their name.
Today they try to be more covert, but are far more biased and in one direction, but because we have access to far more news sources, their lies have been failing miserably.

"The way for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing". We must always oppose the evil that men do, but we cannot loose sight of who we are. Emotion and frustration can blur the lines, but good men like you Countryboy will always be able to step back from the edge.
You have your family and faith to keep you grounded, and there's nothing better or more worth fighting for.

Actually I think the federal government was a LOT more overtly corrupt and in the pockets of the banks and railroads than it would try to pull off today. The big money types could get the government to actually send in the Army to put down labor stikes, run people off land they wanted whatever they wanted.

Small farmers and ranchers didn't stand a chance. Marshals would sell out as hired gun hands/assassins and do wet work for the railroads under cover of their badge. Things were horribly and openly corrupt in the 19th century. The government worked for the banks, mine owners and railroads. There was hardy any safe, peaceful living for a little guy without a lot of money. If someone with money wanted what a feller had they would just kill him and his family and burn his place down, or get the army to do it.

It's a romantic notion to want to live in them days but it wasn't exactly Nirvana.

Old 06-01-2018, 07:26 PM

1,127 posts, read 1,274,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Actually I think the federal government was a LOT more overtly corrupt and in the pockets of the banks and railroads than it would try to pull off today. The big money types could get the government to actually send in the Army to put down labor stikes, run people off land they wanted whatever they wanted.

Small farmers and ranchers didn't stand a chance. Marshals would sell out as hired gun hands/assassins and do wet work for the railroads under cover of their badge. Things were horribly and openly corrupt in the 19th century. The government worked for the banks, mine owners and railroads. There was hardy any safe, peaceful living for a little guy without a lot of money. If someone with money wanted what a feller had they would just kill him and his family and burn his place down, or get the army to do it.

It's a romantic notion to want to live in them days but it wasn't exactly Nirvana.
The government, banks and corporations of today are not less corrupt. The people are more apathetic and brainwashed, the laws more voluminous and convoluted, and the methodolgy of theft and oppression more obscure. The money of every little man is still stolen by men with guns, they have just convinced most of us that it is normal. We hand it over without them even having to actually stick the gun in our face. Eminent domain still takes property from the little man and gives it to corporations or the government. The police are largely revenue agents for whatever entity employs them. The people of the 1880's would be aghast at the things modern Americans tolerate without complaint. I would take the environment you portray over the modern equivalent every day of the week and twice on Sunday. At least then I could shoot the robber baron in the face and hightail it for Alaska or some other frontier. Things are still horribly corrupt, just not as openly. Plus, most are convinced it's just how things are.

Old 06-01-2018, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
I happen to like Wyoming, having been there twice for week-long periods. But it bears noting that Teapot Dome scandal of the early 1920's was Wyoming based.

Old 06-01-2018, 09:32 PM

Quote:
I happen to like Wyoming, having been there twice for week-long periods. But it bears noting that Teapot Dome scandal of the early 1920's was Wyoming based.
The culprits were corrupt federal officials and their cronies. The senator who introduced the resolution to have an investigation was John B. Kendrick of Wyoming.

Albert Bacon Fall, a former Democrat and veteran of the swamp of corrupt New Mexican politics, had no connection to Wyoming.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teapot_Dome_scandal

Old 06-21-2018, 04:55 PM

Default It was already a century old in 1880, but...

...it was a practical repeating weapon. I'd kill to own this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dZLeEUE940
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness