Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2014, 10:37 AM

853 posts, read 4,037,828 times

Advertisements

I don't mean this as sarcasm or judgment whatsoever. Just curious for personal reasons. In general, are prepper-survivalists types very unhappy people, and if so, why go to such extremes to survive?

And if I'm off base, sorry in advance! Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2014, 11:34 AM

323 posts, read 499,626 times
I'm not in anyway miserable. I am quite happy. I have chickens, a veg garden, a cow, a horse and the livestock live on pasture. I own a place in paradise far from civilization. Got canned foods in case of shortages, med supplies, etc. I'm not armed, I'm not getting ready to kill people who are desperate. But can take my livestock and disappear into the hills if I had to. If its a temporary setback? Hey. If its a planet wrecking disaster. Why worry?

Old 07-19-2014, 12:26 PM

2,234 posts, read 3,321,061 times
I have never been miserable. I'm not depressed, and I don't have mental problems. If you met me on the street, I would not appear to act strangely or appear different then any other person on the street.

Those strange people that seem miserable wear camouflage clothes, drive big trucks with gun rack in the back window and act tough are not preppers or survivalists, they are wannabes. The first rule of prepping and survival is to fade into the back ground.

The OP comment is based on a lack of misunderstanding of the prepper world.

Old 07-19-2014, 12:28 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,602,965 times
I'm an overall happy person. But that doesn't come from circumstances; it comes from my individual character and personality. I face changes of all sorts and generally overcome them. I have confidence and strong belief in myself.

I am of the opinion that nothing can save our society except a collapse and rebuilding. Although I don't know when society will collapse I know that it's coming. A country rotting within can't survive.

Survivalists are successful people in my experience. Most either own businesses or have good jobs. They are, however, careful with their money. A survivalist would rather invest extra money than spend it on vacations and other frippery. I'm willing to spend what's necessary to maintain my lifestyle, but I never waste money. Even our pleasures are investments. Spending money on collecting hobbies brings good returns down the road. Survivalism is the road to real security.

I view most people with contempt, but doesn't any successful person? Do you think that Bill Gates, Warren Buffet, or George Soros admires the common man?

Old 07-19-2014, 12:31 PM

190 posts, read 192,646 times
I feel very good about being self reliant, a do it yourself-ist. and in control of my life. There is a confidence that stems from being able to handle what may befall me or my family. I have no debt, own everything that I need, and a few amenities beyond. The most useful guns that I have are a screw gun and nail gun. I enjoy building and creating, cooking fresh, and slow grilling, fishing, hunting, hiking, boating... It is living simply. That also gives me the freedom to be financially independent. I can quit work at any time, and be good with that.

I don't believe that I go to extremes. Just follow (un)common sense. Why? We were flooded out a few years ago, and the splurges of a generator and screw gun rebuilt our home. From then on, I prepared.

Any group that you pick will have those people that are happy or miserable. Any inferences drawn from belonging to any group are stereotypes. Try changing prepper-survivalist to an ethnic or religious group that you belong to, and ask yourself that same question. Then you will understand.

I was very happily surprised by my neighbors and the people in my community after our flood. People rolled up their sleeves and got to work in mucking, cleaning, sharing tips on fighting mold, rebuilding and all. My neighbors demonstrated a toughness that I look up to. Good people.

Old 07-19-2014, 12:41 PM

1,142 posts, read 2,132,509 times
I am a very happy person, I just wake up that way every morning. From time to time things go awry and my normal chipper disposition may deteriorate but the following morning is a new day. I am not a prepper-survivalist because quite frankly I don't know if I would enjoy life under those circumstances. The only preparations I have made is that since I and my 4 cats live close to the ocean we all have life preservers.

Old 07-19-2014, 01:05 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,488,293 times
There is a happiness and contentment that can only come from a sense of deep security. Deep security comes from knowing that you have done all you can do to weather the storms that life inevitably throws our way. For me, real happiness comes from knowing that my extended family will be provided for, no matter what happens to me. I've done my part; the rest is up to God.

Yes, my family and I are very happy, and thankful for all our blessings.

Old 07-19-2014, 01:29 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,507,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I am of the opinion that nothing can save our society except a collapse and rebuilding. Although I don't know when society will collapse I know that it's coming. A country rotting within can't survive.
By "saving" you mean society becoming exactly what Happy in Wyoming believes is correct?

Old 07-19-2014, 01:37 PM

253 posts, read 378,126 times
I don't fit many of the stereotypes of what a prepper is. However, I think that it is important for people to know how to do basic things for themselves, without modern technology. I'm certainly not unhappy and we raised happy, well-adjusted kids. We just opted to spend our money on things that were more important to us. If we save money by growing a garden, cutting firewood and repairing things instead of buying new, then we have more cash available to enjoy the world with. We will be able to retire early due to our frugal nature and having time to spend with our family is pretty important to us.

We don't prep because we feel that the end of the world is going to happen soon or that we fear total anarchy. We don't prep because of any religion. Instead, we prep to ease some of the everyday disasters that we see play out in the news:job loss, serious illness, destructive weather, suddenly being thrust into a disaster situation, etc...

These are things that are mostly out of our control. Being prepared makes us feel a bit more in control of the situation. I like knowing that we have every tool for any job and the skill to uses it. Maybe that's why we're so happy most of the time...When things come up, we have the ability to take them in stride.

Old 07-19-2014, 02:21 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,101,085 times
"I was very happily surprised by my neighbors and the people in my community after our flood. People rolled up their sleeves and got to work in mucking, cleaning, sharing tips on fighting mold, rebuilding and all."

This is what will get us through hard times. Cooperation, rather than a bunker mentality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness