Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2014, 05:26 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,198,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
What are you going to hold out for? A better world?

Who is going to run it? If something really bad happens I hope it is a nuclear strike and I am at ground zero. I won't know about it and it won't matter. What do you do after holding out for 3 years or so?
Nothing.
If the world changed so drastically you had to bug out and live like a refugee what do you think it is going to be afterward?
Utopia or dystopia?

also, what if it is not a nuke going off? what if it is an economic collapse with 30%-50% unemployment with hyper-inflation of the dollar? this kind of food can help in those kind of situations too. it does not have to be some unlivable catastrophe. having a bunch of food, lots of good water, some medical supplies, gold and silver can be very handy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2014, 10:13 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,995,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
read up on whether or not you can drink chemical treated pool water and what you would need to do to make it safe to drink. I think it is fine for non consumption, but I do not think I would be drinking pool water anytime soon.
Pool water can certainly be made safe for consumption and is actually a great source of emergency water. The issue is many have no idea what to do, when to do it or what is needed. Further complicating this is the many "pool pros" have no idea what they are talking about when it comes to emergency survival practices versus everyday practices.

I doubt anyone, skilled survivalist or Johnny the Pool boy, would just go and start drinking untreated pool water, but Johnny isn’t thinking sensible treatment options, they are thinking putting your face to the water and sucking it in. That’s why the “pool pros” say no, and the skilled survivalist says yes.

So, the issue with pool water is under normal circumstances, properly chlorinated water with proper filtration and circulation, isn’t that different than municipal water that has been stored in a fire truck’s tank for a few weeks. However, many pools are not properly chlorinated and maintained, they are chemically treated to fill in where proper maintenance is lacking. Those are the pools with various bottles of liquids, powders, granular and whatever that some sales person in the pool store sold some sluck. They are pool balancing agents, unbalancing agents, scalars, descalars, polymer clarifiers, anti-flocking, pool openers, pool closers, pool maintainers, dyed water with a $7.99 a quart price tag on it... you get the drift.

If you have a pool (or know the maintenance habits of neighbors) and the pool is properly chlorinated, filtered and circulated, in an emergency, the first thing you do is cover the pool. This minimizes the contaminants that enter from the air. It also reduced the burn off of the chlorine. This is especially vital if the pool pump and filter are no longer operating.

Second you begin filtering water into whatever container you have. The sooner you being isolating the water from the reservoir the less likely it is to start going bad. Fill the containers, canteens, the water heater, bottles - whatever you can to maintain a working stockpile.

Next you shock the living hell out of the water. If the circulation/filter is off, you want to reduce the contaminants in the reservoir early before they can take hold and pollute the contents. Only use chlorine, never anything else.

Figure out a way to keep the water moving. Even if you use the in pool chlorinators floating around, they can never replace the pump (and you still have no filtration). So try to keep the water circulating so the chlorine can disperse and do its job properly. But, make sure you are no aerating the water, just keep it moving as best you can.

In time, the water will go all nature on you and algae and other pollutants will contaminate the water just like any surface pond with standing clear fresh water will look yucky in time.

As this occurs, more and more filtration and cleansing are needed, but it can be done. It’s widely practiced in this type of situation to always segregate the water into containers as you go so that the treatment process is easier, quicker and less contaminated water over what is currently in your reservoir (pool).

Old 10-16-2014, 10:20 PM

37,465 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauriedeee View Post
Submariner, I have no idea what you're talking about, but if the S ever HTF, I'm coming to your house 'cause it sounds like you got your act together.
I am a subsistence farmer.

We produce food. There is food that can be produced every month of the year. It has nothing to do with SHTF. We produce food for ourselves and we market the surplus.

If you think, that you will wait until after SHTF, and them begin to think about what to do. Well, that will be too late.

Old 10-16-2014, 10:24 PM

Quote:
also, what if it is not a nuke going off? what if it is an economic collapse with 30%-50% unemployment with hyper-inflation of the dollar? this kind of food can help in those kind of situations too. it does not have to be some unlivable catastrophe. having a bunch of food, lots of good water, some medical supplies, gold and silver can be very handy.
We currently have 24% unemployment. Which is equal to the Great Depression [before all tweaks, lies and other adjustments].

We currently have more people on Food stamps / EBT then we had in bread lines in the 1930s.

Today it is invisible, unseen, but the numbers are there. Technology has allowed us to duplicate the Great Depression without the masses becoming alarmed by it.

Old 10-17-2014, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
We currently have 24% unemployment. Which is equal to the Great Depression [before all tweaks, lies and other adjustments].

We currently have more people on Food stamps / EBT then we had in bread lines in the 1930s.

Today it is invisible, unseen, but the numbers are there. Technology has allowed us to duplicate the Great Depression without the masses becoming alarmed by it.

I understand that. feds say 5-7% unemployment when it is actually more than 20%. what I meant by my post, was a collapse of most of the fedgov and them not being able to dole anything out to the masses as they are just trying to save their own slimy skins. having a stash or cache of supplies for yourself or your family would be a good thing to have. but some seem to think that the feds will save the day, when all they are truly interested in is keeping themselves in power.

Old 10-17-2014, 07:28 AM

1,400 posts, read 1,844,038 times
Quote:

The economic output of today and the availability of credit, coupled with a better social network - these have all masked some fundamental things. Even cnn yesterday published that 48 million Americans live below poverty line - that's almost 1/5th of the population. This is not the only problem - imho a far bigger issue is that the middle class has also been moving to extremes - one part of it is moving more towards the "1%" crowd (in middle class measures) - these are the skilled professionals of today like software engineers etc. but a far larger portion of the middle class, the "middle middle" has or is quickly moving towards the bottom. Just like with everything else today, polarization is evident, the "either or" rules.

Old 10-17-2014, 07:43 AM

Quote:
I understand that. feds say 5-7% unemployment when it is actually more than 20%. what I meant by my post, was a collapse of most of the fedgov and them not being able to dole anything out to the masses as they are just trying to save their own slimy skins. having a stash or cache of supplies for yourself or your family would be a good thing to have. but some seem to think that the feds will save the day, when all they are truly interested in is keeping themselves in power.
The responsibility for feeding your family is always you.

Old 10-17-2014, 12:59 PM

Quote:
The responsibility for feeding your family is always you.

I know that and from your previous posts I would say that you know that too. but too many people in the USA believe that getting fed is the fedgovs responsibility.

Old 10-17-2014, 04:01 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,034,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauriedeee View Post
I always used to think preppers were a little bit off the wall, sorry guys..
but Hurricane Sandy opened my eyes, and I really started to think about what I'd do if the food supply dried up as it did because deliveries couldn't get through, or if the electric went out for days at a time.

I don't have enough food to last for years, but I do make sure I have enough canned goods to get by for about 2 mos. I have some can's of dried milk that I have socked away just in case. I have buckets of wheat that I use and replace because I make my own flour so I can make my own bread and pasta's. I've got a hand held wheat grinder just in case the electric goes out.
I keep a stock of batteries which I replace as we use them, candles, matches and battery operated lights.
I'd have enough to keep us alive and the food would edible, but not necessarily tasty at times.

If the S really HTF there's always the creek up the block from me for water, and my inground pool, and there's plenty of deer and other critters in the woods if it ever really came down to that. We wouldn't last forever but I think we're prepared enough to last a couple of months..

I also purchased a couple of living off grid books which I can't remember the name of off hand and it's a been an interesting read and I've learned a lot of useful information.

I hope it never comes down to that, but it's good to know just in case.

I'm preparing but I'm also going on the assumption that the world will go back to normal once whatever crisis has passed.
This is close to my view as well. Sandy and 9/11 are never far from my mind (Staten Island got hit hard). We managed pretty well as we have a gas stove, but were a bit chilly. I was happy for hot flashes, LOL! We lost power for 5 days, but no damage or flooding on the property. Still, we were able to cook and actually ate well since we used the fridge/freezer first then the storage freezer.

We've run through the storage pretty well this summer to make sure things weren't getting old and using up things that were in excess (way too many beets, even though we love them). This week I'll be buying water and canned good to restock. I have coupons for batteries too, so I'll have that restocked as well. We stay well stocked on basic medical supplies and I'll be freshening up the BOB this week as well. October snuck up on me and I'm about 3 weeks behind what I originally planned. H Sandy anniversary is almost here.

We have fresh water nearby if needed and we get pretty regular rain and snow, and I'm going to review a few youtube films on making a rocket stove, though I doubt I would need one for most situations. Within the next 10 days, I expect to have at least 30 days, even if the meals are a bit wonky.

Weapons are up to the individual family's opinion and needs and should be kept confidential.

Oh, and don't forget things like snacks and treats, games and entertainment. One or two extra phone batteries, car charger, etc. is a good idea as well. Which reminds me to order a new one today. We still had internet and were able to keep in touch with most of our family and friends.

AND DON'T FORGET PET FOOD AND SUPPLIES!

Old 10-17-2014, 04:09 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,034,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatbush260 View Post
Lauriedeee, I was the same way myself. After Hurricane Sandy, I bought myself a portable first aid kit, just in case something crazy happens. Living in the big city (NYC), I wasn't sure what food kit would be acceptable for an emergency and how many containers of water I would need? Any ideas?
Rule of thumb is at least 1 gallon per day per person and don't forget pets. I would feel safer with 2.

Start with buying extra of things you normally eat that have a decent shelf life. Supermarkets always have some on sale so just buy a few extra each trip: canned and dry beans, tuna, canned meats such as chicken and deviled ham veggies, cookies and crackers, shelf stable milk, juices and drinks, batteries, LED flashlights and lanterns, coffee, tea, cocoa, chips and such, TOILET PAPER, feminine supplies (can also be used for medical) even if you are male, antibiotic cream/ointment, bandaids, larger bandages, ace bandage, gauze, tape, scissors, individual alcohol swabs, fever reducers and pain relief; advil, tylenol, aspercreme/ben gay. Some people will have recommendations for more serious medical supplies, but this is a start for most common injuries.

Mini versions of this are good for EDC and the car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness