Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 02:47 PM

7,485 posts, read 10,433,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighteyes View Post
Friends, that's all it is -- talk. In the words of an earlier time, "they're talking through their hats." To translate for the later generations, this means that the media is speaking from a position of emotion rather than truth -- what they've been saying is entirely lacking in information or facts or data; only speculation and "the sky is falling" logic. To make matters worse, the American media is not speaking to inform; they're only speaking to improve their ratings.
I'm with ya on this! I can't even turn on the radio any more (I don't watch TV), without hearing about this stuff. Give it a rest already! Where's the big epidemic??? Anybody??? Two whole cases in the US? Really? Is that the new definition of pandemic? Is that the reason why nobody should fly? Kids should be kept home from school? Where does this nonsense end? Obviously, there is NO ebola pandemic here!

BTW, there won't be any pandemic in the new future, either. It's an election year!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2014, 11:55 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,522,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
I'm with ya on this! I can't even turn on the radio any more (I don't watch TV), without hearing about this stuff. Give it a rest already! Where's the big epidemic??? Anybody??? Two whole cases in the US? Really? Is that the new definition of pandemic? Is that the reason why nobody should fly? Kids should be kept home from school? Where does this nonsense end? Obviously, there is NO ebola pandemic here!

BTW, there won't be any pandemic in the new future, either. It's an election year!
How do you know how many cases there are? There may be two or there may be two thousand. There are plenty of facilities available to treat and detain. After a policy of admitting anyone from the affected countries do you think that Obama would admit he started an epidemic here? African nations are getting a grip on the spread because they've closed their borders. Obama hasn't closed US borders. It seems reasonable that many infected people in Africa would prefer getting to the US for treatment. A hundred infected travelers could infect the continent in a day. African nations don't have the internal flights that the US does.

It's an election year so there won't be an outbreak? Will Obama stop it with an executive order?

There probably won't be an epidemic this winter just as the cities probably won't explode next summer. But suppose it does happen. Then what?

I'm not sorry that I prepared for Y2K. I'm sure not sorry that I prepared for a sinking economy under Carter. I'm ready for this. I have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

Old 10-21-2014, 04:51 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,139,098 times
if the US economy goes completely south and hits rock bottom, at least those prepared with more than just a few weeks of supplies will not have to worry about eating their next meal. having been poor once before, I sure as hell do not want to worry about my next meal, and yes I have gone hungry before, going from 220# to 147# in only 8 months as I could not afford to eat and was not able to get food stamps.

I will never rely again on someone else to provide me with my food or other supplies that I need, so when times are plenty, I for one shall stock up for when times are crappy.

Old 10-23-2014, 02:07 PM

32,770 posts, read 35,991,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChistorygal View Post
or, if a pill isn't splitable (i know, not a word) see if s/he will write a 2x a day instead. take one, save the other.

Just make sure you rotate and consume the oldest ones first
I'll accept splitable--splittable? split-able?--in this instance.

My doctor did that when I got a new prescription a few months ago. I was to take one capsule in the morning. If that didn't do the job, I could double the dose. While not strongly recommended, I could take a third capsule twelve hours later for a few days to week at a time. I got a ninety day supply in one bottle. It lasted for eleven weeks.

Old 10-24-2014, 12:06 PM

1,723 posts, read 4,080,212 times
I caved. I just went to the Walmart site and ordered 2 huge containers of dehydrated beef vegetable soup, and powdered milk, just in case, and that's in addition to other stuff that I have stored away in case there's another Hurricane Sandy.

I'm not worried about me or my family catching ebola but I am worried about other people being worried about catching it and refusing to make deliveries. I live on an island. If delivery people are afraid to deliver, or can't deliver products here then we're screwed.

Maybe I'm just over reacting, I don't know. But learning about this new doctor who's been diagnosed with ebola and the running around he's been doing since he got home has me concerned.

It's the ripple effect that has me worried.

I've read that the Texas hospital that treated Duncan is suffering from lack of patients. The cafeteria is empty. I read that the preschool next door is losing customers.

The bridal shop where Amber Vinson shopped for dresses has been disinfected and the staff in self monitoring, but according to their FB page the shop is closed for 21 days.

The bowling alley where the NYC doc went is being disinfected, but seriously, is anybody going to really feel comfortable sticking their fingers in those bowling ball finger holes, or wearing any bowling shoes from there? I wouldn't.

What if the next ebola scare is in a food processing plant? or one of my local grocery stores?

It's the "what if's" that have me concerned. I just don't know. I was up til 5am last night debating whether to give in to the 'what if's' or listen to the other side of me that say's I'm overreacting.

I don't know. My head hurts. I don't even know what or if I'm asking you guys anything. I'm still trying to wrap my head around my thoughts.

Old 10-24-2014, 01:57 PM

6,743 posts, read 8,508,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauriedeee View Post
I caved. I just went to the Walmart site and ordered 2 huge containers of dehydrated beef vegetable soup, and powdered milk, just in case, and that's in addition to other stuff that I have stored away in case there's another Hurricane Sandy.

I'm not worried about me or my family catching ebola but I am worried about other people being worried about catching it and refusing to make deliveries. I live on an island. If delivery people are afraid to deliver, or can't deliver products here then we're screwed.

Maybe I'm just over reacting, I don't know. But learning about this new doctor who's been diagnosed with ebola and the running around he's been doing since he got home has me concerned.

I've read that the Texas hospital that treated Duncan is suffering from lack of patients. The cafeteria is empty. I read that the preschool next door is losing customers.

The bridal shop where Amber Vinson shopped for dresses has been disinfected and the staff in self monitoring, but according to their FB page the shop is closed for 21 days.

The bowling alley where the NYC doc went is being disinfected, but seriously, is anybody going to really feel comfortable sticking their fingers in those bowling ball finger holes, or wearing any bowling shoes from there? I wouldn't.

What if the next ebola scare is in a food processing plant? or one of my local grocery stores?

It's the "what if's" that have me concerned. I just don't know. I was up til 5am last night debating whether to give in to the 'what if's' or listen to the other side of me that say's I'm overreacting.

I don't know. My head hurts. I don't even know what or if I'm asking you guys anything. I'm still trying to wrap my head around my thoughts.

Having a few supplies put by isn't overreacting, it's prudent. You don't need tons of food and water and supplies of gas masks and automatic weapons to be secure, but a few extra cans of soup isn't going overboard.

I see the ebola scare in much the same manner as the AIDS scare back in the 80's. It was the uncertainty that got people scared. The reality was bad, but not as bad as portrayed. We didn't need to quarentine the people that had it, but that happened. It was fear that drove most of the hystaria then and now.

By having some supplies set by, it doesn't mean you're nuts, you are just taking precautions against what nature or other people may do.
Keeping yourself and your family secure is always your first priority. You can't control what others may or may not do, so you just take care of yourself and let others do the same.

I'm not that fond of vegetable soup, but it's sure better than nothing

Old 10-25-2014, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauriedeee View Post

it is not "what if" anymore, but when. people seem to think that 3-30 days worth of supplies will be enough. just think of what you will really need if you cannot even go outside for an extended amount of time to see how much you really need.

Old 10-25-2014, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
Having a few supplies put by isn't overreacting, it's prudent. You don't need tons of food and water and supplies of gas masks and automatic weapons to be secure, but a few extra cans of soup isn't going overboard.

I see the ebola scare in much the same manner as the AIDS scare back in the 80's. It was the uncertainty that got people scared. The reality was bad, but not as bad as portrayed. We didn't need to quarentine the people that had it, but that happened. It was fear that drove most of the hystaria then and now.

By having some supplies set by, it doesn't mean you're nuts, you are just taking precautions against what nature or other people may do.
Keeping yourself and your family secure is always your first priority. You can't control what others may or may not do, so you just take care of yourself and let others do the same.

I'm not that fond of vegetable soup, but it's sure better than nothing

ebola dn aids are 2 different animals completely. if you caught aids, it might be a few years or more than a decade before you pass away. catch ebola and it might be a couple of weeks before you pass away. 2 different diseases and 2 different time tables.

Old 10-25-2014, 09:52 AM

32,770 posts, read 35,991,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
ebola dn aids are 2 different animals completely. if you caught aids, it might be a few years or more than a decade before you pass away. catch ebola and it might be a couple of weeks before you pass away. 2 different diseases and 2 different time tables.
They are two different diseases--though transmitted the same way--but people were just as frightened then as they are now. They asked the same questions: Are we being told the truth? Is it more contagious they are willing to admit? What if it becomes airborne?

amfAR :: Thirty Years of HIV/AIDS: Snapshots of an Epidemic :: The Foundation for AIDS Research :: HIV / AIDS Research

1982 - 771 cases of AIDS reported to date 618 deaths
1983 - 2,807 cases of AIDS reported to date 2,118 deaths

It didn't take a few years to die from AIDS.

Old 10-25-2014, 10:22 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,699,423 times
I have to agree with you all, Happy, monkeyw, lauried; better to have and not need than need and not have.

Especially when the gov's of NY and NJ boldly announced this morning that they are implementing stricter controls as, in their opinion, the CDC and the President have not done enough to contain things.

I picked up some tinned soup and tomato sauce cheap, the sauce is for BBQ sauce that I make, I now have enough to go all winter Overall I'd say I'm at about a six week supply.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness