Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2014, 06:20 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,745,364 times

Advertisements

I'm scheduled to take a 1,000-mile trip in the near future. My husband, who is your ultra-conservative, no-worries-darling type of guy has said, "We need to pay attention to the news and you might need to re-think this upcoming trip."

I heard Sean Hannity ask a group of five medical experts (at a roundtable discussion) if they'd get on a plane right now and I thought they'd soft-pedal the story. Instead, all five said "NO!"

I'm hearing anecdotal stories of people *canceling* upcoming plane reservations, due to concerns about this virus. Thing is, it's not just the lethality of the virus, and the fact that the CDC isn't too sure how it's spread, or the fact that we might see geometric progression, but what if you end up on a plane with Nurse Vinson, and then end up in a 21-day quarantine?

Or maybe you're trapped on a tarmac for four hours with someone who has a fever and is violently ill?

So, I'm asking if anyone here has changed their travel plans due to this.

Thanks.

Last edited by RosemaryT; 10-18-2014 at 06:34 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2014, 07:09 AM

2,398 posts, read 3,834,200 times
Keeping an eye on things.

DH's father is failing and we should see him (in Vegas over 1300 miles away) before he passes. It won't be long. Vegas is not ideal but we will take precautions to avoid crowds, the Strip, anyone that looks ill and at the convalescent facility we will be extra cautious. I will carry plenty of hand cleaner and will enforce it's use. We will be taking our RV so as to minimize social contact and sharing of spaces. We will take this trip.

We have travel plans for Thanksgiving (a beach house in an off-season area) and if things don't get worse, we will go. If ebola takes off, we will be sheltering in place. The big problem are the people that won't stay home if they aren't well and over in Current Events in the quarantine thread there are plenty of people that have said that they would break quarantine if imposed.
Before I retired we always had those few people that either didn't have enough sick leave or thought that we couldn't do without their flu viruses and substandard cough riddled work only to have it pass through the facility subsequently like wildfire. I don't know about anyone else but I'm always sitting in front of the person that just has to fly with their rattly coughs. People are for the most part thoughtless.

I'm avoiding public transportation and interface with the medical system as much as possible right now.

Last edited by AK-Cathy; 10-18-2014 at 07:32 AM..

Old 10-18-2014, 07:12 AM

3,298 posts, read 3,891,134 times
It's not only Ebola. Other diseases could hit us and obviously our country is not prepared. Imagine what is going to happen when Ebola or a disease like Ebola hits South America and Mexico.

Ebola has only reinforced my general opinion that the US government is a total f up. First Katrina, now this. For legal reasons, the US government gives more rights to those who have or could potentially have the disease than those who don't. The last I heard the hospitals are updating their procedures by having staff sign waivers promising not to leave their homes while treating patients. Unbelievable.

So now my focus is on where can I survive the best. I'm scrapping my plans to move closer to a big city and places with large school districts (kids transmit diseases easily).

Old 10-18-2014, 08:00 AM

151 posts, read 183,757 times
From now on, anytime you mix it up with other people you are going to be taking a chance. Just how, 'suicidal' that chance is going to be has, yet, to be determined.

The way things are going, all of us will be taking more chances in the future than we ever have in the past. Moreover, in case you are another one of those who haven't noticed: The Ebola virus is being aggressively and politically promoted (almost, 'marketed') throughout North America. What should have been done to stop this exceedingly virulent disease has not been done; and, by the time the general public takes their heads out of their butts and finally catches on, it's going to be too late. (In fact I agree with Dr. Martin Fackler; it's already too late.)

Go ahead! Take your trip, amuse yourself while you still can, and join the rest of the American public in oblivious ignorance of what's about to befall them. Ebola is a cruel, merciless disease - NOT a political one. Neither should the scourge of Ebola be marginalized in the way that the organized media, 'news-whores' have been doing; nor is political management going to prove to be an effective deterrent - Instead it's idiotic!

Sadly I fear that, this time around, people are going to really start paying for their: arrogance, selfishness, and extreme moral indolence. Life (the processes of equitable existence) is becoming more and more serious, and less and less easy to ignore. Whether people want to admit it, or not: Right, and wrong behaviors actually do involve serious indivisible consequences. The exorbitant social and personal costs for America's present dearth of moral, politically competent leadership is about to be rung-up; and, to everyone's ultimate chagrin, the epidemic Ebola virus isn't going to just shrink and go away.

SERIOUS LIFE STYLE CHANGES ARE ABOUT TO OCCUR.

Future generations aren't going to grow up in anything like the America that I once knew. In fact America's future generations are going to be growing up in a country - in a contaminated socio-political environment - that I'm positive I wouldn't want to know. I'm a Christian Fundamentalist - A committed serious believer. We've just passed the second of four biblical, 'blood moons'. Imagine what the world is going to look like after the fourth and final, 'blood moon' has appeared!

Agree? Disagree? It doesn't matter. Like it or not we're, all, going down this road together; and none, save the Hand Of God, is going to be able to spare. In the foreseeable future it will be inconsequential whether or not a man believes in God, or exactly, 'How' God might be believed in. What is going to matter is whether or not God believes in, 'the essential goodness of mankind' - In mankind's present social course, collective social behaviors, and proposed social solutions for what is ultimately (irrevocably) HIS WORLD!

(An interesting juxtaposition of adamant disbelief, yes!)

Old 10-18-2014, 08:30 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,488,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delaware Davy View Post
The Ebola virus is being aggressively and politically promoted (almost, 'marketed') throughout North America.
Yes, and why aren't more of you paying more attention to this fact?

We have absolutely no proof that there's any Ebola here in the US. All we have to go by is what the MSM is telling us, and they do seem to be trying to promote panic here. Ask yourself, "Why is this?". What possible agenda could they have for scaring people half to death? Is Big Pharma getting ready to market a new drug or vaccine? If there were 2 nurses in Texas hospitalized for flu, would anybody even care? And yet, the odds of your getting the flu this winter are probably a million % higher than of getting Ebola.

I say, go on your trip and enjoy yourself. Life is too short to spend it staying home, worrying about whatever 'panic' the MSM or CDC is promoting this month. Let them play their games. You won't be quarantined.

Old 10-18-2014, 08:57 AM

9,858 posts, read 7,729,352 times
I'm still flying in 2 weeks, not happy that I go through Atlanta. Will try to avoid other people as much as possible and will take a face mask in case I feel I need it. Will try not to touch anything on the plane - the front pockets are supposed to be the worst.

Thank goodness, my pregnant daughter just had her employer approve the request from her doctor that she doesn't fly anymore - she normally flew to Chicago and NY every week.

Need to fly again in January - who knows what the situation will be 3 months from now?? I'm waiting a while before I buy the tickets.

Old 10-18-2014, 09:03 AM

2,398 posts, read 3,834,200 times
If ebola is being marketed, and there is an argument to be made for this school of thought, it would be for one of several reasons, the most likely being that something else, big and scary is coming down the pipe (probably related to finance/money) that is known to insiders but a public ebola scare will be the sleight of hand needed to keep the hounds off of the scent until the government "manages" the situation.

No doubt there is an ebola outbreak in West Africa. Everything else involved in the ebola crisis as it relates to North America has been head shaking and almost nonsensical. However I'm not taking undue risks, nor will I externalize any risk onto others if I have "come into contact" or don't feel well. It's all we can do at this point.

Old 10-18-2014, 09:36 AM

6,044 posts, read 24,093,179 times
I plan on flying out of state in a couple weeks, and to be honest I am nervous about it. But I have no intention of cancelling at this point.

Old 10-18-2014, 09:57 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,745,364 times
I love you guys!

Seriously, I was bracing myself to be hacked into bits by the "it's no big thang" crowd that is so vociferous at City-Data's 460-page Ebola thread.

I'm a *nut* about history and am in the midst of writing a new book which has required some study of the Spanish Flu and the parallels are very disturbing.

I am nervous about the upcoming trip, because I happen to be one of those fruit-cakes who understands geometric progression and I also think the CDC is lying through their teeth. I can't figure out if they're that inept or that malicious. Maybe some of both.

At any rate, thanks very much for the intelligent replies.

Old 10-18-2014, 10:01 AM

3,298 posts, read 3,891,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
I'm still flying in 2 weeks, not happy that I go through Atlanta. Will try to avoid other people as much as possible and will take a face mask in case I feel I need it. Will try not to touch anything on the plane - the front pockets are supposed to be the worst.

Thank goodness, my pregnant daughter just had her employer approve the request from her doctor that she doesn't fly anymore - she normally flew to Chicago and NY every week.

Need to fly again in January - who knows what the situation will be 3 months from now?? I'm waiting a while before I buy the tickets.
Howie Mandel wears gloves and has for years. He refuses to shake hands. People used to think that was silly and an over reaction.

Several years ago I started disinfecting my hands every time I left a store or got into my car. I wash my hands at work as much as possible, nothing overboard, or use disinfectant. I don't shake hands. I can't remember the last time I had the flu.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness