Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 02:11 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,310,623 times

Advertisements

Wool socks sucked until smart wool figured out how to make good ones, then all the other sock companies copied them.
They used to be hot and scratchy, and were also very "floppy". Sporting goods stores devoted to winter sports and hiking used to have racks of various synthetic "liners" you were supposed to wear under your warm wool socks to make the experience less miserable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2014, 02:17 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,377,574 times
Default people do react to wool; and it can be too warm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelpha View Post
The last couple years I've discovered wool socks after being raised and spending 30+ years wearing cotton socks.

Having discovered the functionality & durability & temperature regulating & wicking properties of wool, I'm now wondering...people have known about this for centuries...so WHY ON EARTH DO COTTON SOCKS EVEN EXIST? They are horrible and have no such beneficial properties as wool, important to care for the needs of our feet which do so much and go through so much.

Choosing to post this in Self sufficiency & preparedness rather than Fashion-beauty-style-etc because I appeal to the die hard wisdom of the Self-sufficiency crowd.
I wear a white set of cotton socks inside wool in the winter.
that works, and wool can be too warm. I have a set of "smart wool" socks
and only use them in the mountains if it's minus who knows what!!

Old 10-27-2014, 02:20 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzzz View Post
Wool socks sucked until smart wool figured out how to make good ones,
The itch is really the only issue as far as I'm concerned but easily solved with a good under sock.

Quote:
hiking used to have racks of various synthetic "liners" you were supposed to wear under your warm wool socks to make the experience less miserable.
Silk.

Old 10-27-2014, 02:21 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedwightguy View Post
I wear a white set of cotton socks inside wool in the winter.
If you are ever in bad situation make sure to remove those cotton socks.

Old 10-27-2014, 02:38 PM

25,732 posts, read 18,809,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
If you are ever in bad situation make sure to remove those cotton socks.
Yes cotton has zero insulating property when wet. Cotton socks are a summer only affair for outdoor activity. There is also poly for winter. I prefer wool, but the poly is less bulky and insulates well if used properly too.

Old 10-27-2014, 03:38 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,581,124 times
One thing I know about wool vs synthetics, you can dry wool by a fire. One spark from a campfire and your synthetic sock is useless.

Cotton does kill, no question, but it's cheap and cool for those working and living within city limits. Once you get away from climate control, wool is the only way to go in cold country or wet too. Look at all the wool clothing available on British, German and Scandinavian sites.

Those guys know cold and wet, if they say wool, it's a good opinion from centuries of experience.

Old 10-27-2014, 03:54 PM

37,465 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanR View Post
As coalman said, they're comfortable and cheap. They're also cooler in the summer and not as itchy as wool.

Over all the decades I've been around, I found wool to be too itchy against the skin. They're now using Merino wool a lot more which addressed that issue for me.
Wool that is 'itchy' is cheap wool.

Cultures that use a lot of wool, do not use any of the lowers grades. I lived in Scotland for a few years, and to them, they were not aware that 'itchy' wool even exists.

But in this culture, we have been marketed to with a wide selection of other fibers. Somehow there has been a process where crap wool has gotten in, and now it has became widely accepted that wool is itchy. Amazing really

Old 10-27-2014, 03:56 PM

37,465 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
Finding pure wool socks unless you knit them yourself is tough, and they can be pretty cost prohibitive. Most of the stuff I see in sporting goods stores is a blend and you're lucky to get 20% wool in them.

Personally, wool shirt, wool pants, socks and hat's are a way of life, but you do have to wear something under them or they will irritate your skin especially in tender areas like armpits.

Still, the OP had good information.
Ever wearing a Pendleton shirt? I bet it did not irritate your skin.

Top of the line wool is soft.

Merino is a grade of wool. It is not the top of the line, but as a medium grade it is not bad.

Old 10-27-2014, 04:15 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,310,623 times
I used to have quite a few scratchy Pendleton shirts. The Ragstock stores in the Twin Cities are filled with old scratchy ones. Some of them used to be mine...

Old 10-27-2014, 05:28 PM

983 posts, read 995,350 times
Icebreaker makes a great wool shirt. One of my most valuable pieces of outdoor equipment is an Icebreaker wool t-shirt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness