Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 05:58 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,717,819 times

Advertisements

I strongly suggest choosing something from these guys.........Your feet will love you!!!
Fox River Mills - FoxSox.com - Home of Fox River Socks

Take a look at the sock tech and foot facts sections to help understand the importance of your main source of transport!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2014, 09:32 PM

1,767 posts, read 2,397,233 times
Amazon.com: Extreme Alpaca Socks 9-11 (Fit Men's Shoe 7-9 or Ladie's 8-10): Everything Else I have bought these as gifts for all the outdoor loving members of my family. They can occasionally be found on sale. I too have put away forever cotton socks in winter. I will wear Lightweight tech socks are better for warm weather as well.

Old 10-28-2014, 05:08 AM

18,779 posts, read 18,108,023 times
I found this 1988 archived article on my favorite socks (Orlon): ON YOUR OWN - Fitness - Orlon Socks Go Toe to Toe With Cotton - NYTimes.com. Around 1988, give or take a few years, I had the honor of working the graveyard shift on an unheated freight dock. One particular week the nighttime temperatures went down to -20 for five days straight. We were forced into wearing steel toe boots, which are even colder than other boots (plus, today, we have better insulation available). Orlon socks made life bearable - even in those extreme conditions. Cotton or wool would have made my feet sweat and my toes would have then froze. Orlon was soft and comfortable. The socks were pretty thick so it would be a problem in shoes/boots that had a tight fit.

When you work or exert yourself in cold temperatures; you have to keep your feet dry.

Old 10-28-2014, 05:18 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,661,555 times
The origin of "smartwool" has changed socks forever. Everybody who mentions scratchy wool is writing about ancient socks.

Old 10-28-2014, 08:06 AM

6,756 posts, read 8,566,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Ever wearing a Pendleton shirt? I bet it did not irritate your skin.

Top of the line wool is soft.

Merino is a grade of wool. It is not the top of the line, but as a medium grade it is not bad.
Yes I have worn Pendletons, and they are nice. The local sporting goods store brands vary from year to year and the quality also, even though the price stays about the same....high

I picked up 2 Pendleton shirts at a yard sale last summer for $5 each. SCORE!!!

I also have some Hudson Bay wool blankets. Those are definately the standard for wool blankets and nothing like the old army blankets you buy in the surplus store. Soft and fluffy, they insulate very well and last forever.

Wool lasts when taken care of, so it's a long term investment, even though the initial price can be tough to swallow.

Old 10-28-2014, 08:20 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,477,776 times
Filson of Seattle used to have the finest wool products made. Now they have dropped their line of high quality men's wool items...still sell a few, but the line is dwindling, pretty fast. Over the years, I received 3 of their "waterfowl sweaters" made of heavy wool and lined over the back, chest and upper arms with waterproof cloth. You don't need a coat at minus temps, wearing one of these:

Filson Men's Waterfowl Sweater Merino Wool

My new love is the Woolrich site. Their line of heavyweight wool shirts is excellent. One of these
'washable' wool buffalo shirts over a thermal henley is heavenly this time of year:

http://www.woolrich.com/woolrich/det...shirt/_/R-6135

My brother and I learned to hunt with our uncle up here in Maine, and in the 50's, wool was IT for hunting.

Old 10-28-2014, 08:23 AM

37,437 posts, read 61,315,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
Filson of Seattle used to have the finest wool products made. Now they have dropped their line of high quality men's wool items...still sell a few, but the line is dwindling, pretty fast. Over the years, I received 3 of their "waterfowl sweaters" made of heavy wool and lined over the back, chest and upper arms with waterproof cloth. You don't need a coat at minus temps, wearing one of these:

Filson Men's Waterfowl Sweater Merino Wool

My new love is the Woolrich site. Their line of heavyweight wool shirts is excellent. One of these
'washable' wool buffalo shirts over a thermal henley is heavenly this time of year:

http://www.woolrich.com/woolrich/det...shirt/_/R-6135

My brother and I learned to hunt with our uncle up here in Maine, and in the 50's, wool was IT for hunting.
Be careful with woolrich. Lately most woolrich clothing I have looked at, had zero wool in it.

Read the tag.

Old 10-28-2014, 08:44 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,477,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Be careful with woolrich. Lately most woolrich clothing I have looked at, had zero wool in it.

Read the tag.
You scared the hell outta me, Sub. Yes, I checked...their Buffalo plaid shirts and Alaskan shirts are still 80% wool, and I can feel the weight and slight scratchiness of it. Still good shirts!

Old 10-28-2014, 08:49 AM

37,437 posts, read 61,315,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
You scared the hell outta me, Sub. Yes, I checked...their Buffalo plaid shirts and Alaskan shirts are still 80% wool, and I can feel the weight and slight scratchiness of it. Still good shirts!
Good

I am glad you found some quality shirts.

Old 10-28-2014, 09:09 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,187,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelpha View Post
The last couple years I've discovered wool socks after being raised and spending 30+ years wearing cotton socks.

Having discovered the functionality & durability & temperature regulating & wicking properties of wool, I'm now wondering...people have known about this for centuries...so WHY ON EARTH DO COTTON SOCKS EVEN EXIST? They are horrible and have no such beneficial properties as wool, important to care for the needs of our feet which do so much and go through so much.

Choosing to post this in Self sufficiency & preparedness rather than Fashion-beauty-style-etc because I appeal to the die hard wisdom of the Self-sufficiency crowd.

cotton socks are easier to make and cost less for makers, and better profit. but i still prefer wool over cotton.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness