Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2014, 05:45 PM

12,049 posts, read 10,211,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
"Honey, I know we love having sex together, but we're going to stop because in the future some joker on what will be called the Internet says that is a viable 'choice'."
Thank you! Sheesh, don't people realize women didn't have a choice in so many ways. This was 1940s, 30s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2014, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletchman View Post
I am 29, and I find something I agree with in nearly all the posts. While I am not a "prepper" in any sense, I feel that our best days are definitely behind us.

I definitely see the cost of living continuing to skyrocket in many ways. Also, taxes are really eating into budgets. Wages are also largely stagnant and kept that way by forces outside our control.

Drought and the loss of top soil may have a devastating impact on food production over the next 50 years.
Hope you don't always feel this way. I'm in my 50s and do not see such gloom and doom.

Old 12-06-2014, 06:00 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,548,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
Thank you! Sheesh, don't people realize women didn't have a choice in so many ways. This was 1940s, 30s.
They obviously had some. The illegimate birth rate was less than 10% of what it is today.

Old 12-06-2014, 06:07 PM

810 posts, read 1,445,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistermobile View Post
As time goes by I find the "quality of life" is slowly eroding. I am not talking about things costing more, but cheapened or disappeared entirely. Family life and the kids' contact with their parents, another. What happened to front porches?
It's going to change. Kids don't care about anything that they can't see on a screen. All you can do is die, and you're gonna, so your concerns will take care of themselves.

I had a great front porch in a city neighborhood where people were out all the time. I still kind of have that after moving South. When we all go, it'll be gone and nobody will miss it.

Old 12-06-2014, 08:05 PM

6,978 posts, read 4,836,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
I have that- the porch wraps around three sides, east, south, and west. The front of the house faces south, overlooking acres of field, all surrounded by more acres of trees. It is quite peaceful to sit there in the Summertime, watching the field birds fly to and fro, a pair of Harriers circling overhead and occasionally diving down to snatch a mouse or a rat. Uncultivated raspberries have taken over the garden on one side, trailing over the porch railing and offering luscious fruit when they ripen. Uncultivated scallions grow on the other side, easy pickings for the evening meal. Various flowers also grow on both sides, along with lilac trees. The hum of thousands of honeybees is constant during the daylight hours, sometimes almost unnoticed, other times so loud that it can't *not* be noticed. Hummingbirds flit about chasing each other, sometimes chattering excitedly with their high-pitched voices.

One of my few complaints about this arrangement is that the porch roof blocks much of the sunlight from getting into the first-floor windows. I'm thinking of cutting out some sections of the roof and putting in poly-carbonate panels to let more light in.
A lot of porch roofs now have skylights in them. I thought of that as well, but I hate the heat and I'm perfectly happy looking out at sunshine from the inside. I figure I'd get enough while walking across the yard to hang out the clothes.

I used to live on a horse boarding stable where I could look out over pastures and see golden eagles. I also had a garden that I just loved. For anybody telling us we all need to be more self sufficient, hey, it's hard to grow a garden when you're in an apartment in the city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
They obviously had some. The illegimate birth rate was less than 10% of what it is today.
You just didn't hear as much about it. Most girls and women getting pregnant in the old days gave up their babies and never told a soul and never talked about it, or just got married. It could be these were the bad marriages that fueled our desire for easier divorce.

So my question would be, how does anyone know what the illegitimate birth rate was back in the 30s and 40s?

Old 12-06-2014, 09:10 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,387,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Crime was always there, but never like it is today. The worst that would happen was a fist fight, and someone shot was unheard of.
The USA today has the same homicide rate as in the 1950s. We just didn't have news 24/7 and even if we did young people don't watch the news and are unaware of how often crime occurs

Old 12-07-2014, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
A lot of porch roofs now have skylights in them. I thought of that as well, but I hate the heat and I'm perfectly happy looking out at sunshine from the inside. I figure I'd get enough while walking across the yard to hang out the clothes.

I used to live on a horse boarding stable where I could look out over pastures and see golden eagles. I also had a garden that I just loved. For anybody telling us we all need to be more self sufficient, hey, it's hard to grow a garden when you're in an apartment in the city.

You just didn't hear as much about it. Most girls and women getting pregnant in the old days gave up their babies and never told a soul and never talked about it, or just got married. It could be these were the bad marriages that fueled our desire for easier divorce.

So my question would be, how does anyone know what the illegitimate birth rate was back in the 30s and 40s?
Yea, and I wasn't talking about illegitimate births. These were married people. Does no one remember Margaret Sanger? How women took to the streets protesting for access to birth control.

Old 12-07-2014, 05:46 AM

19,963 posts, read 30,084,266 times
be careful of rose colored glasses of the past

go back 70- 80 yrs ago

most women were not independent- if an abusive husband, they suffered in silence , they had very few options, particularly with kids
women were looked upon as breeders and homemakers- most did not go to college

people were poor, adults looked for any work available - very very laborious jobs

people died young, people died of disease ...

it wasn't until the 1970's until real opportunities started opening up for women,,,
no longer was "looking for a good man " a goal,,,now she could go to college and have all the opportunities anyone else has

today,,,never in human history have we had it so good- you can go to college after high schooland be whatever you want

women and minorities are more in business ownership, and executive positions than any other time in human history

my son, will be getting out of college in 2 yrs, he will be a pharmacist, he had the opportunity to do ANYTHING he wanted- go in the military, see the world, be a doctor, an engineer ,,, whatever he wants,,
same with his cousins- my nieces- they went to college and got to choose whatever they wanted

when I was 18 my parents told me I had to start paying rent - and don't expect any help for college

I worked 3 jobs out of high school - shytty jobs,,on a fishing boat and a slaughterhouse
but from one of those jobs I got a foot in the door job with a large company and went up thru the ranks
based on merit

years ago our great great great grandparents had very very tough lives compared to todays lifestyle
they sacrificed and sacrificed for their own kids in hopes they have a better life

this "entitlement, soft" mentality would make them turn in their own graves

Old 12-07-2014, 07:25 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,387,889 times
I'm 31, born in 1983. Other than economically I think today is a really great time to be alive.

Entertainment. There's instant info on anything, I can sit at work and listen to a podcast that teaches me about anything, the TV networks can no longer tell me what and when I have to watch, if I don't like local radio I can stream any radio station in the world on my phone, etc.

Overall Quality of life: medical care is greatly improved, life expectancy at an all time high (other than for rural Whites in the South, where obesity has taken a toll), vehicle deaths are massively down despite more drivers than ever, violent crime (in spite of what the news says) is way down from the 1970s to 1990s and is now at 1950 levels in most cities, downtowns and urban neighborhoods are more vibrant than in decades, etc

Now what's not better....
My generation was told that if we got a bachelor's degree that we'd make so much money that the loan debt taken wouldn't be a big deal. So we went to college in droves only to learn that upon graduation we're making $30,000 a year, not $40k or $50k. So now most of us pay $200 to $600 a MONTH for student loan repayment. That leaves no money for having kids or buying a home. I work with people with great gpa's from great colleges and cool sounding degrees and they make $13 an hour. I make $15.36 (plus 100 annual OT hours throughout the year) and have to pay $479 per month in student loans.

Old 12-07-2014, 10:33 AM

196 posts, read 386,744 times
There is, IMHO, one problem today - otherwise things are better in many respects. Greed. Greed is making our lives miserable. Greed is why there are so many poor people - it USED to be lack of technology or inability to reach certain cultures - but those things are non-factors today. People are starving because someone greedy cannot turn a profit by solving world hunger. Gas is high because someone wants more money. Products are made cheaply but are priced high because of greed (phones used to cost maximum $150.00 - now a phone is upwards of $800.00... and cost about $2.00 to make and pennies in materials... and we pay for them???) Look at the housing market - people get happy when the prices go UP, not DOWN! What kind of madness is that??? Unless you want to live in the backwoods, the cost of living is artificially high in all of the major cities in the USA. Artificial because what you are paying cannot be recouped. What you pay for something does not reflect it's actual value. It used to be be based on things like rarity and precious metals or stones - not anymore. Your buying the cheapest material on Earth, and getting burned.

In this advanced age, there is still no emphasis on getting people healthy. We have Obamacare - which people don't like because its Obama. but whatever it is, should good health care depend on what's in my wallet? We cared about one another a few decades ago - what happened?

Money, money, money - that's all this generation (the times, not the people) care about. You want to survive in court? doesn't matter if your guilty or not - can you afford a real lawyer! Got a big ticket? - should have been rich, now your lights are going to be turned off. You want to live in a house instead of that cardboard box? MONEY will get you in. You want to be educated? Do you have cash? You want to go to a "real" college like Harvard? MORE CASH PLEASE. And get a loan while your at it so we can own you for the rest of your life, saddle you up and ride your wallet like a Shetland pony...

Things weren't perfect when I grew up in the 70,s - but they were better in many respects. I grew up in a house - I haven't owned a house yet. We always had food, electricity, bills paid and medical care. There were real doctors working in clinics back then, so even poorer people could have medical care. And phones didn't cost 800.00.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness