Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2014, 12:35 PM

96 posts, read 175,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaniGypsy View Post
In my experience, it seems as though survivalism is subject to the "American way" just as everything else is.

If you don't have money, you can't get land upon which to homestead. (Amplify this with "if you don't have A LOT of money, you can't get a decent enough amount of land in a decent area for homesteading".) Back in the day, people used to be given free land for homesteading. These days - you have to BUY it.

Nobody knows how to make anything anymore. If you want anything, forget being adequately taught how to make it. You have to BUY it. And anything that is decent for survival is going to be outrageously expensive. Guns, ammunition, off-grid cooking utensils and appliances, etc.

So really - if you don't have a lot of disposable income, how exactly can you "prepare" adequately?

Another question - Is there anywhere in this country where small tracts of land, perhaps by the acre, are available for <$1,000 per acre? I'm not interested in huge tracts that'll cost >$10,000 because they're 50 acres at $200 per acre - I want to know about small parcels of 1 or 2 acres where they can be bought for less than the cost of an operable used car.

I really don't relish the thought of having to work my butt off at a soul-killing but high-paying job just so that I can prepare to live an agrarian life. Back in the day, people just lived agrarian lives and didn't have to be independently wealthy in order to do so.

Or is it better to look outside of America if we want to "bug out" without being "wealthy"?
We bought our 5 acre homestead (that includes a farmhouse built in 1900) for $41,500.
There is a place down the road up for sale...3 acres (I think) with a big farmhouse in great condition. Currently listed for $45,000. Will probably sell for less than that...maybe between 39k and 42k.
Cash is king. If you have cash, you can usually get a place under asking (even if there are other bidders) if you can offer cash.
If you want cheap land with no house, check out west Texas, Nevada, New Mexico...any desert area.
Look on ebay (yes, ebay). They have a real estate section.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2014, 12:39 PM

2,182 posts, read 1,376,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
All you need is a .45. Use it to obtain an AR15, use that to aquire a tank, use it to get a helicopter gunship, use that to get a battleship with nukes! Now YOU are the boss of the apockylypse.

That's my plan anyway, I'll let ya know how it works out.
All you need is a knife. Use it to obtain the 45 !

OP, look in New England. Land is cheap, farmable, and water is plenty. Plus, you'll have good neighbors.

Old 12-07-2014, 01:14 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,298 posts, read 14,134,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorel36 View Post
...OP, look in New England. Land is cheap, farmable, and water is plenty. Plus, you'll have good neighbors.
Huh?!

Old 12-07-2014, 01:25 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,624,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaniGypsy View Post
I would be curious to figure out exactly how said people intend to feed themselves into perpetuity after the excrement hits the rotating cooling device. With no property worth speaking of, there is no place to grow food nor raise animals.
Prepping for anything but temporary food shortages is nonsense. Food distribution would be the last system to collapse. If it gets that bad, several billion people will die worldwide, and probably half of the US population. Having land to grow food won't do you any good, somebody will just kill you and take it. The best strategy would be to be inconspicuous and be one of the last to starve to death. After enough people die, there would be plenty of resources for everyone who is left.

All you have to do is get past Entertainment Tonight and realize the apocalypse is already happening in some areas of the world. Last year 6 million children starved to death. The most likely cause of starvation in the USA would be war.

Old 12-07-2014, 08:14 PM

1,935 posts, read 4,765,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Prepping for anything but temporary food shortages is nonsense. Food distribution would be the last system to collapse. If it gets that bad, several billion people will die worldwide, and probably half of the US population. Having land to grow food won't do you any good, somebody will just kill you and take it. The best strategy would be to be inconspicuous and be one of the last to starve to death. After enough people die, there would be plenty of resources for everyone who is left.

All you have to do is get past Entertainment Tonight and realize the apocalypse is already happening in some areas of the world. Last year 6 million children starved to death. The most likely cause of starvation in the USA would be war.
Food distribution might be the last system to collapse but the collapse would happen so quickly that we'd think it was one of the first. Perhaps, for example, the trucking industry would collapse first... preventing stores from getting needed products... but in such an event, the stores would be emptied in 3 days maximum. Thus, it hardly matters what collapses first. Everything will go down quickly when something does go down.

And as for the most likely cause of starvation in America being war... well... probably... especially when America likes to involve itself in every stinking war on the planet. We should just butt out and focus on our own survival / growth / well-being... and enact better policies to keep likely evildoers and warmakers out.

Old 12-07-2014, 10:06 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,746,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Prepping for anything but temporary food shortages is nonsense. Food distribution would be the last system to collapse.
You have seen the videos of folks clearing store shelves of water and canned foods when a hurricane or other natural disaster is headed their way? If one event can cause stores to run out of batteries, water, canned goods, etc... what do you suppose a longer event / disaster would do? I dispute your statement that "Food distribution would be the last system to collapse." It doesn't take much to stop the trucks / trains from running, effectively stopping the food distribution system.

Old 12-07-2014, 10:41 PM

12,076 posts, read 23,185,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorel36 View Post
All you need is a knife. Use it to obtain the 45 !

OP, look in New England. Land is cheap, farmable, and water is plenty. Plus, you'll have good neighbors.
You must have spent time in a different New England than I. Where in NE is there cheap land?

Old 12-07-2014, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Huh?!
Ditto.

Old 12-07-2014, 10:43 PM

Why in the world would you want to bug out to a foreign country?

Old 12-08-2014, 11:50 AM

3,484 posts, read 6,495,400 times
Can you be a "prepper" if you DON'T have / make a lot of money?

Simply put, YES. Becoming a "prepper" does not have to be a "right-now" kind of thing. It certainly wasn't for me.

Just begin by practicing a Mormon philosophy of purchase, "One can for now, one for a friend." One doesn't have to be a Mormon to practice it -- Heaven knows I'm not. (Now, if truth be told, I HAVE been doing it for better than 30 years...)

-- Nighteyes

Last edited by Nighteyes; 12-08-2014 at 12:13 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness