Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2015, 06:19 PM

990 posts, read 2,557,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighteyes View Post
With the exception of the Vela incident in September 1979, all nuclear weapons tests from 1962 onward were conducted underground. Underground nuclear/thermonuclear detonations do not produce atmospheric dust or smoke, and all "fallout" is contained within the blast chamber.

And I, for one, would love to learn the source of your statistic regarding the number of nuclear detonations that took place in the year 1962. I could be wrong; in fact, I often am. With that said, 300 seems about two orders of magnitude too many...
I rechecked the data.

for the year 1962, there were 176 above ground nuclear tests.

Perhaps you are not factoring in the idea that this number is not solely U.S. tests.

There were: Soviet, U.S., British, and French tests conducted in the open air.

The year 1962 was particularly active as the underground test treaty was about to take effect, and nuclear nations wanted to learn as much as possible before "open air" testing was banned.

On rechecking my data, it seems that you are perhaps somewhat correct.

Apparently there were only 528 above ground nuclear tests.

Still a lot but fewer than my initial figure of 2046.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2015, 11:30 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,198,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
How to Survive a Nuclear Explosion | Science/AAAS | News Some dude at Lawrence Livermore figured it out.

live far enough away from a major population center, communications center and far enough away from air force bases.

Old 01-16-2015, 09:46 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,511,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banger View Post
I rechecked the data.

for the year 1962, there were 176 above ground nuclear tests.

Perhaps you are not factoring in the idea that this number is not solely U.S. tests.

There were: Soviet, U.S., British, and French tests conducted in the open air.

The year 1962 was particularly active as the underground test treaty was about to take effect, and nuclear nations wanted to learn as much as possible before "open air" testing was banned.

On rechecking my data, it seems that you are perhaps somewhat correct.

Apparently there were only 528 above ground nuclear tests.

Still a lot but fewer than my initial figure of 2046.
Thanks. I'd still like to know the source of the data.

Old 01-16-2015, 11:48 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,164,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
live far enough away from a major population center, communications center and far enough away from air force bases.
You hear on the radio that war has started with Russia ..... so you put out a lawn chair and sip at a Long Island Iced Tea, secure in the way you have prepped out in the middle of nowhere, Wyoming ....

......... then a hole opens up in the ground about half a mile away, and something protrudes. Looking up in the air, you see for just a millisecond a little black dot falling toward you ......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLCF7vPanrY

Jeeez, our West really got hammered! I remember people in Las Vegas used to watch the tests in the evening from their balconies.

Old 01-17-2015, 12:42 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,198,564 times
Quote:
You hear on the radio that war has started with Russia ..... so you put out a lawn chair and sip at a Long Island Iced Tea, secure in the way you have prepped out in the middle of nowhere, Wyoming ....

......... then a hole opens up in the ground about half a mile away, and something protrudes. Looking up in the air, you see for just a millisecond a little black dot falling toward you ......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLCF7vPanrY

Jeeez, our West really got hammered! I remember people in Las Vegas used to watch the tests in the evening from their balconies.

the nearest silo from me is near Cheyenne. not hard to spot the federal fences with all of their signs, plus the concrete pad inside them.

Old 01-17-2015, 12:48 AM

Lol ...... I didn't even know you live in Wyoming, I just threw out a state name at random!

Old 01-21-2015, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Lol ...... I didn't even know you live in Wyoming, I just threw out a state name at random!
That's alright, Woof. We still like ya...!

Old 01-22-2015, 05:46 PM

Quote:

Old 01-26-2015, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Note to self -- Woof may be entirely without a sense of humor, or one of play...

Old 01-30-2015, 03:14 PM

Folks,

Here's the deal, at least according to me. Get yourself a copy of Nuclear War Survival Skills by Cresson Kearny. Read it, fully and carefully. Plan your survival accordingly.

Realize that the "reason" Kearny's research was downplayed/ignored was simple. It did not comply with the 'rationale of the day' which, btw, was M.A.D. (Mutually-Assured Destruction).

The only problem with the M.A.D. approach was that the Soviets did not acknowledge or follow said rationale. Just take a look at their rather extensive Civil Defense plans (mass civilian shelters, etc).

Like it or not, our federal government missed the boat on this one, big-time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness