Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 07:45 PM

1,341 posts, read 1,530,636 times

Advertisements

I am thinking about buying two 5 gallon gas cans each month of this year. Marking the first two "JAN", and use and refill them next January. Of course I would put Sta-Bil in them. Since Sta-Bil isn't cheap I'm not sure I'd save any money but if SHTF I would have 120 gallons of gas (after the year is over).

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2015, 10:12 PM

1,400 posts, read 1,844,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowdog View Post
I am thinking about buying two 5 gallon gas cans each month of this year. Marking the first two "JAN", and use and refill them next January. Of course I would put Sta-Bil in them. Since Sta-Bil isn't cheap I'm not sure I'd save any money but if SHTF I would have 120 gallons of gas (after the year is over).

What do you think?
Buy a horse.

Old 01-19-2015, 10:15 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,995,508 times
Don't forget to add up the cost of the gas cans. On average, you would need to save over $2.50 per gallon just to pay for the container. Add the Sta-Bil and any loss of product due to environmental issues and you really may not be saving anything. However, if the purpose is for emergency supplies, 5 gallon containers are easy to transport, fill, store, use, and trade.

Old 01-20-2015, 12:39 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:

What do you think?
Air is your enemy, fill to capacity.

Old 01-20-2015, 05:09 AM

8,418 posts, read 4,576,990 times
This stuff is better Amazon.com: PRI Fuel Stabilizer- For Gasoline 32oz: Home Improvement

Old 01-20-2015, 06:56 AM

1,127 posts, read 1,275,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchcargo777 View Post
I can vouch for this stuff. I have personally used it, and used gasoline treated with it in my motorcycle 15 years after initial storage, with no ill effect.

That said, aviation fuel(100LL, 100 octane, low lead) was stored for the same period without any treatment, and functioned perfectly, as well. Although avgas is pretty high dollar, when one considers longevity and simplicity of storage, and the ability to have fuel years into an uncertain future, not to mention the added advantage of fuel without destructive ethanol, the price may be worth it. What would you pay, ten years into a fossil fuel scarce scenario, to be able to cut firewood with a chainsaw vs. a crosscut? (Assuming the noise was not a security issue, of course...) Avgas is also good for older engines without hardened valve seats, such as some older tractors. Not sure about the effects on modern computerized and sensor-riddled systems.

Old 01-20-2015, 07:52 AM

2,234 posts, read 3,321,061 times
I store regular and premium gasoline and 100LL aviation fuel in 5 gallon cans. I use STA-BIL in all of it. The oldest fuel that I have used is 5 years with no noticeable difference from fresh fuel. I used to store fuel in one large metal 100 gallon tank but I have found that the 5 gallon cans has worked better for me. I number all the cans and keep records the fuel type and the purchase date this allows me to always use the oldest fuel first. In the summer I use 100 gallons to just mow my 2 acres of grass so lately I have always manged to keep fresher fuel then in the past.

I also keep all of my vehicles full and that would give me another 140 gallons if necessary.

I don't care what the price of the fuel is because if we have TEOTWAWKI happen the fuel will be priceless.

Old 01-20-2015, 07:57 AM

13,131 posts, read 20,995,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy73 View Post
.....not to mention the added advantage of fuel without destructive ethanol,
I guess I'm a bit different; I embrace ethanol. I look for equipment that can run on ethanol because its a fuel I can produce myself. In a SHTF scenario, why would I want equipment that requires a particular fuel that I need to store or find. To me, having the option of making my own fuel just seems more responsible in preparedness planning.

Old 01-20-2015, 08:00 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,488,293 times
Quote:
I am thinking about buying two 5 gallon gas cans each month of this year.
We do this all the time. We buy winter blend, as it has higher butane ratings. We have 8 gas cans, but we don't keep the gas in them. Out back there is are two 55-gallon drums that we pour the gas into, with a nozzle that works much better than these stupid "no spill" cans that spill gas all over everything.

We consider this essential to power generators, chainsaws, tractor, lawn equipment, and to just have spare gas for cars and trucks, if they are running low. I often carry a couple of 5-gallon cans in the back of the truck when I'm heading out downstate. Now's the time to stock up, with prices so low!

Old 01-20-2015, 08:18 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,781,844 times
Dangerous to store a lot of gas longterm in gas cans. We fill up the cars before a storm, figuring that gives us 30 gallons we can siphon out if we have to, to run the generator.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness