Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2015, 08:46 PM

2,201 posts, read 1,876,287 times

Advertisements

I failed to include jails and prison's in my list ( again no food , nothing deliverable, no lighting, no air, no heat no intercom,no clean cloths no access in or out which requires any form of electricity. No medication and few employees able to report to work. Any generators will be operational only if a gas supply is
poured (no pumping). End result rioting and chaos much intentional of course much out of panic and anger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2015, 10:02 AM

1,085 posts, read 1,274,703 times
Default Katrina

I went thru Katrina in a small town on the north shore of Lake Pontchartrain. It wasn't pretty. I have posted a number of comments about what I went thru on this forum.

I was not prepared for the mental stresses of the disaster. Someone told me once that the lessons from a disaster are given in a pass/fail scenario. If you survive, you can look back and learn from what happened. I found that to be true. I am much more serious about prepping now.

Much of what we think is necessary, isn't. Take the time to read thru this forum and you will learn a lot that can't be found in any book.

Old 01-27-2015, 04:30 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,198,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by openmike View Post
Here is a incomplete list of outcomes if the electrical transformers are knocked out by an atmospheric nuclear blast above the US or by a solar flare . This could impact the US or globally in either case a congressional study places the loss of life in the millions and upwards to 90% death rate within the first year! We get our replacement grid parts fro m Germany and other countries making repair s moot point. The following
is a list of lost services and life support ,but before listing put
FEMA, RED CROSS, LAW ENFORCEMENT out of the picture as
nonexistant! I realize many believe death is an option ....go for it.
Water pumps down including generators on dams
Car / truck/train/bus/aircraft / subway computer down
All stores power doors ,refrigeration, lights out
Hospitals power out unless glass generators ( gas pumps down)
Unstaffed nursing/ ACLF ( no power ) staff grid locked on all
roads
No cell phones,land lines ,TV, radio (use emergency batt. radio)
Police, emergency vehicles , power co. all down and grid locked
No food ,no water ,no communication ,no lights no services.
Body removal ( millions) hand shovel only all front end loaders
down
No toilet flushing/paper,no sump pumps ,no air , heat no hot water
No medications availability
No ice , no metro wood, no gas no fuel no 1500 calories per day
Marshall Law, looting , chaos, murder, starvation

well, if the 90% number of dead is correct, at least we can hope it includes 90% of all politicians in washington dc. I would just plan on moving a few neighbors into my home and sit it out for the time being.

Old 01-29-2015, 06:43 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,511,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countrysue View Post
I went thru Katrina in a small town on the north shore of Lake Pontchartrain. It wasn't pretty. I have posted a number of comments about what I went thru on this forum.

I was not prepared for the mental stresses of the disaster. Someone told me once that the lessons from a disaster are given in a pass/fail scenario. If you survive, you can look back and learn from what happened. I found that to be true. I am much more serious about prepping now.

Much of what we think is necessary, isn't. Take the time to read thru this forum and you will learn a lot that can't be found in any book.
Well-said. I've "lived through" Hurricane Camille (1969) and Hurricane Frederic (1979), as well as several smaller ones, before moving to SoCal. Here in SoCal I also "lived through" the Northridge Earthquake (1994) and a couple of riots. I've also managed to make it through some combat-related situations that I prefer not to discuss.

Stripped down to its essential elements, "survival" is far simpler (and a good bit more challenging) than most civilized people can imagine.

Want to "survive"???? Fine. Just read, and listen, and practice, A LOT.

-- Nighteyes

TTFN ("Ta-tah-for-now")

Old 01-30-2015, 10:50 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
The utility companies are well aware of the effects of an EMP or a solar flare. Automatic high speed switches can isolate the generators and substations from the transmission line very rapidly. The grid may be temporarily out of commission but will not sustain permanent damage.

The best thing to do for your own comfort is to have a propane fired emergency generator and a big bottle of propane. Unlike most liquid fuels propane does not deteriorate during storage.

Old 01-30-2015, 11:01 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,198,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
The utility companies are well aware of the effects of an EMP or a solar flare. Automatic high speed switches can isolate the generators and substations from the transmission line very rapidly. The grid may be temporarily out of commission but will not sustain permanent damage.

The best thing to do for your own comfort is to have a propane fired emergency generator and a big bottle of propane. Unlike most liquid fuels propane does not deteriorate during storage.

if an emp event happens from s nuke at high altitude, the utility companies will not be able to protect from that at all.

Old 01-30-2015, 10:23 PM

297 posts, read 358,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
if an emp event happens from s nuke at high altitude, the utility companies will not be able to protect from that at all.
In all reality, we are at risk from E1 and E3 pulses, but I dont think anyone has even theoretically thought of weapon yet, that could produce a large enough E3 pulse to "wipe out America" and while E1 pulses could be a risk, it takes some really massive, well thought out and designed nukes to generate E1 pulses placed in just the right altitude to do any damage. A minimum of 100kilotons at just the right altitude would be needed to hit all of the U.S and it would have to be specifically tailored to provide E1 pulses. And at that point, were someone capable, why not just kill us all with radiation? Its kind of like going out of your way to kill a chicken with a.50 desert eagle when you have a hatchet.
Also, to add to this, considering our M.A.D programs, it is highly unlikely any nation would perform said attack, and any small terrorist group would have on heck of a time 1.building a nuke that big, 2.getting it high enough 3. tailoring it to provide an abnormally strong E1 pulse.

So, Solar EMP I worry about, nuclear EMP.... meh not so much.

EP 1110-3-2 (31 December 1990)
One EMP burst and the world goes dark - USATODAY.com
The Space Review: The EMP threat: fact, fiction, and response (part 1) (page 1)
http://www.fas.org/irp/threat/mctl98-2/p2sec06.pdf

Old 02-17-2015, 06:49 AM

5,406 posts, read 3,602,806 times
if an EMP or Solar flare were to knock out the UK power grid, disabling transformers and other such equipment, I read that it would take about 2 years to replace them all-even if we had enough engineers to do the work, most of the spare parts needed are not available "off the shelf" and would have to be specially made, this alone takes several months for each one. if the power grid was shut down for 1 or 2 years most people in this country would not survive-especially if it happened over winter, commerce and business would grind to a halt, no road fuel could be pumped and no trains would run as most lines are electrified.i believe the death rate would be huge, somewhere in the 75%-95% range.

Old 02-17-2015, 07:21 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
if an EMP or Solar flare were to knock out the UK power grid, disabling transformers and other such equipment, I read that it would take about 2 years to replace them all-even if we had enough engineers to do the work, most of the spare parts needed are not available "off the shelf" and would have to be specially made, this alone takes several months for each one....
A recent local radio talk show had: one of my state legislators and 2 utility company engineers, discussing this topic.

My state utility companies refuse to install breakers to allow them to isolate this state from the rest of the region. They also refuse to up-grade our sub-stations to become 'hardened', it would cost 0.1% of their profit margin to do so.

Everyone on the panel agreed that currently they only stock enough spare parts to cover for planned maintenance. They do not have the replacement parts needed, for after a EMP or Solar Flare.
Currently there is a 36 month back-log to get the parts. None of the parts are made in this nation.

A Solar Flare today of similar magnitude as either: the 28 August 1859 flare, the 12 August 1880 flare, or the 25 September 1909 flare, they agreed would fry our grid, and it would takes multiple years to repair.

Old 02-17-2015, 07:41 AM

5,406 posts, read 3,602,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
A recent local radio talk show had: one of my state legislators and 2 utility company engineers, discussing this topic.

My state utility companies refuse to install breakers to allow them to isolate this state from the rest of the region. They also refuse to up-grade our sub-stations to become 'hardened', it would cost 0.1% of their profit margin to do so.

Everyone on the panel agreed that currently they only stock enough spare parts to cover for planned maintenance. They do not have the replacement parts needed, for after a EMP or Solar Flare.
Currently there is a 36 month back-log to get the parts. None of the parts are made in this nation.

A Solar Flare today of similar magnitude as either: the 28 August 1859 flare, the 12 August 1880 flare, or the 25 September 1909 flare, they agreed would fry our grid, and it would takes multiple years to repair.
yes that's very similar to what I read in this country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness