Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2015, 10:17 AM

2,707 posts, read 6,230,775 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
My employer provides me with the best insurance going. However we also are in the middle of a large healthcare tourism market, that provides free healthcare to folks whose nation does not provide adequate healthcare.
Lucky you. We have employer-provided insurance for the first time in years.
It's mediocre at best.

To healthcare tourism, that seems to have more to do with population density than actual quality of national care. Think about where Canadians are concentrated
You really don't see much of this in MI/MN/ND/MT, for example...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2015, 10:21 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,593,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
I'm not sure about America...I assume your American seeing you quote everything in Dollars, but in Britain I believe our society has become very soft, most people have become programmed to their creature comforts and their welfare payments and don't know how to look after themselves anymore, the "government will save us" mentality. this IS a preparedness thread isn't it? nobody here prepares any more they just run to the supermarket any time they run out of anything, which is fine until there is a problem, like in the "fuel protests" or in the London riots a few years ago. still, I can see I'm wasting my breath, "none so blind as those that cant(or wont)see".
This is what he says in this post about his self-sufficient lifestyle. However, this is what he stated on a British forum; internet searches are nice.

''22 January 2015, 11:44
bigpaul
Reputation: 21RE: Any Renters? I have rented for the last 35 years, 29 years of that was what you might call "council housing" although these days its Housing Association(I don't know anywhere these days that is still COUNCIL houses). just after we moved in here I asked HA if we could put in a wood burning stove at our own expense-the answer was a resounding NO-"all our houses are smokeless" what they actually meant is there ALL ELECTRIC, no chimneys, no fireplaces. I've got the usual camping stoves, rocket stove, mobile gas heater for heating for the short term but for the long term I have a wood burning stove all ready to be fitted(its one a friend made out of an old gas cylinder) when SHTF, and yes I have a store of wood ready to go(small amount at the moment but growing daily).
Failure is not an option.
''

He's describing what we call projects, welfare housing. People who live in subsidized housing don't really seem to be good survival material. Thirty-five years!

The links work. Take a look at the website. It makes us look like the hardest of hardcore.

Last edited by Happy in Wyoming; 02-19-2015 at 10:38 AM..

Old 02-19-2015, 10:30 AM

5,404 posts, read 3,595,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
This is what he says in this post about his self-sufficient lifestyle. However, this is what he stated on a British forum; internet searches are nice.

''22 January 2015, 11:44
bigpaul
Reputation: 21RE: Any Renters? I have rented for the last 35 years, 29 years of that was what you might call "council housing" although these days its Housing Association(I don't know anywhere these days that is still COUNCIL houses). just after we moved in here I asked HA if we could put in a wood burning stove at our own expense-the answer was a resounding NO-"all our houses are smokeless" what they actually meant is there ALL ELECTRIC, no chimneys, no fireplaces. I've got the usual camping stoves, rocket stove, mobile gas heater for heating for the short term but for the long term I have a wood burning stove all ready to be fitted(its one a friend made out of an old gas cylinder) when SHTF, and yes I have a store of wood ready to go(small amount at the moment but growing daily).
Failure is not an option.
''

He's describing what we call projects, welfare housing. People who live in subsidized housing don't really seem to be good survival material. Thirty-five years!

The links work. Take a look at the website. It makes us look likee the hardest of hardcore.
we cant all afford to buy our own houses...much as we would like, but what we do is make the best of what we have, at least I am preparing which is more than I can say for a lot of my country men and women. whatever I do gives me an edge over the unprepared. prepping(never mind survivalism) isn't exactly mainstream here, most British people think its only something "those crazy Americans" do!!! actually you are wrong about "people who live in subsidised housing don't make good survival material"...those are just the sort of people who WILL survive...those who had to make do with less to start with...rather than those with big houses living in leafy suburbs and gated communities. and by the way we also grow a lot of our own food in house gardens and something the English call "allotments". oh yes, I see someone has gone "fishing"...good sign of a TROLL is that. like I said on another thread, lots of "mind games" being played on survival forums these days.

Last edited by bigpaul; 02-19-2015 at 10:42 AM..

Old 02-19-2015, 10:36 AM

6,756 posts, read 8,573,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsMeFred View Post
To healthcare tourism, that seems to have more to do with population density than actual quality of national care. Think about where Canadians are concentrated
You really don't see much of this in MI/MN/ND/MT, for example...
Sorry to argue, but Montana sees a lot of medical tourism as well.

If there weren't Canadians coming over the border so much, Benefis Hospital in Great Falls would still just be a glorified clinic instead of one of the largest care centers and hospitals in the state.

Billings has become a major regional medical center for Montana, Western North and South Dakota, Northern Wyoming, and Alberta/Saskatchewan. Not population dense areas by any stretch of the imagination.

There was a big article in the paper a couple years ago where Canada had to send a woman to Great Falls for a multiple birth because there weren't enough facilities available for them in Canada.

The whole northern tier of states sees this pretty commonly. It may not be widely published in the MSM, but it most definately exists.

Old 02-19-2015, 10:40 AM

4,366 posts, read 4,577,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordyLordy View Post
All public lands have limits on how much time a person can spend on them. Otherwise we would all be parking our trailers on forest or Blm lands indefinitely. Ok so if EVERYONE got in touch with nature as you suggest, there would be millions of trash fires burning daily not to mention that all the animals would get hunted down instantly . Anyone who has depended on a crop to feed the family only to see it go bad knows that the simple life aint that simple as you make it sound...
Stop trolling...

There are campsites, used mostly by retirees, that allow people to live year-round, or at least months at a time, but it's not a cost-effective option in most cases, so it's best to live on a friend's land or buy your own land.

That thing about the animals is just silly. We do hunt, trap, kill, raise, etc. billions of animals for food commercially each year to feed people in cities, stock hunting ranches, and to make shoes, furniture, and clothing. I haven't heard of an animal shortage recently. If anything, returning back to the hunter gatherer lifestyle would probably help the wild animal population increase by killing off invasive species and eliminating mass killing of animals and wasted trophy kills. Remember, the Indians aren't the ones who hunted the buffalo to extinction; it was the white man, his gun, his love for sport, and killing just to kill. Take only what you need, and nature will be able to accommodate you. One of those buffalo could have fed a whole train full of white men, but they killed them by the thousands every day just because they thought they had no use for them.

As for the crops, anything can go wrong; it's not foolproof by any means. I personally am not much of a gardener, so I would prefer to gather and trap my food. It's not without risks, but life isn't without risks.

There aren't many people doing this style of living anyway. Who suggested we all move to the forest? I just said that it wasn't as hard as some people make it out to be and laid out some suggestions on how it could easily be done, but it's still not for everyone.

Most people wouldn't be burning every day unless they lived in a cold climate. Plus, burning organic material doesn't contribute to climate change as much as burning synthetic chemicals and fossil fuels. People have been making fires ever since they knew how to, long before global climate change ever became an issue. Chemicals and man-made substances brought about climate change and the damage to the atmosphere, not bon fires; fires have been going on for centuries and are sometimes even present in nature without human intervention.

Last edited by krmb; 02-19-2015 at 11:02 AM..

Old 02-19-2015, 12:15 PM

1,400 posts, read 1,843,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
Stop trolling...
Stop being offensive, nobody is trolling, I am talking about a incorrect claim you made.

Quote:
There are campsites, used mostly by retirees, that allow people to live year-round, or at least months at a time, but it's not a cost-effective option in most cases, so it's best to live on a friend's land or buy your own land.
What are these "campsites used mostly by retired people that allow people to live year-round"? Are you talking about RV camps? Those cost money and are often equal to a small monthly mortgage payment.

I will say it again, all public lands have a limit on how long you can stay on them. Prove me wrong. Some public lands are free - like BLM but limited to 14 day stays. Some you have to pay for campground fees or backcountry camping but still have a limit to stay on. I don't know what you are on about when you say "park the trailer on public land by a stream". Plus, it is kind of dishonest to go and live on the public lands without paying any taxes while the same public lands are supported by "sheep in the city" like me who pay the taxes to keep the same lands you are enjoying public

As for purchasing your own land - well, sure - if you have the dough, go ahead.

Living on a friend's land - I wish I had those friends - life would be so easy if we each had a friend with rural acreage that can be just given to us to do as we see fit with and park a trailer to live on. Heck, who needs friends? Just stay at home with mom and dad - best friends a man could ever have.

Quote:
That thing about the animals is just silly. We do hunt, trap, kill, raise, etc. billions of animals for food commercially each year to feed people in cities, stock hunting ranches, and to make shoes, furniture, and clothing. I haven't heard of an animal shortage recently. If anything, returning back to the hunter gatherer lifestyle would probably help the wild animal population increase by killing off invasive species and eliminating mass killing of animals and wasted trophy kills.
Oh boy. There are 7+ billion people on earth today. Their numbers are going to increase to 9 billion. If they all hunted for food there would be no animals within a few months.

Quote:
As for the crops, anything can go wrong; it's not foolproof by any means. I personally am not much of a gardener, so I would prefer to gather and trap my food. It's not without risks, but life isn't without risks.
Eating meat all day long is probably not the healthiest lifestyle...

Quote:
There aren't many people doing this style of living anyway. Who suggested we all move to the forest? I just said that it wasn't as hard as some people make it out to be and laid out some suggestions on how it could easily be done, but it's still not for everyone.
Well - you make comments about brainwashed consumers who cannot give up the conveniences as if people are dumb, soft and lazy and you discovered some kind of a holy grail. So, I am saying if everyone decided you are the one who got it right and they decided to live the way you recommend going back to the land, there would be pretty dire consequences...

Quote:
Most people wouldn't be burning every day unless they lived in a cold climate. Plus, burning organic material doesn't contribute to climate change as much as burning synthetic chemicals and fossil fuels. People have been making fires ever since they knew how to, long before global climate change ever became an issue. Chemicals and man-made substances brought about climate change and the damage to the atmosphere, not bon fires; fires have been going on for centuries and are sometimes even present in nature without human intervention.
There was a time when people were counted in millions - back then, yes, nothing they did had an impact. Let's see 7 billion people burn fires today to get rid of their trash...

Old 02-19-2015, 06:30 PM

511 posts, read 508,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I see nothing contradictory whatsoever or anything we need to be concerned about

It is clear you meant to discredit him somehow, that is clearly disconcerting you've googled him then posted his words from another forum.

If that is not against the rules, it should be

You try to post as if to discredit him on this forum ...epic fail

Last edited by MrsApt; 02-19-2015 at 06:49 PM..

Old 02-19-2015, 06:38 PM

511 posts, read 508,503 times
Lordly Lordy you also may want to stop going off on tangents, telling tales, making false accusations and trolling

You are ignorant and constantly make statements thinking your importance is significant enough that is our job to correct your ignorance.

It's not. Obviously this topic is not your expertise.

So quit putting people on the spot to defend themselves from your criminal imagination and start reading the threads instead. Learn instead of trolling everyone here.

It is certainly possible to live at Campgrounds ALL YEAR long. IN fact, one of my best friends has done so in various campgrounds in our area.

Whether you are aware of the particulars or not. And no, you're not worth it

Don't bother to say it's a felony either. Or remind us of ANYTHING ELSE in this thread which is illegal insinuating people here are criminals.

I will then report it, it's getting old and is unnecessary and I've already asked you to stop

Learn to have good behavior instead

Maybe then... they'll consider letting you out early

Old 02-19-2015, 08:43 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,577,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsApt View Post
Lordly Lordy you also may want to stop going off on tangents, telling tales, making false accusations and trolling

You are ignorant and constantly make statements thinking your importance is significant enough that is our job to correct your ignorance.

It's not. Obviously this topic is not your expertise.

So quit putting people on the spot to defend themselves from your criminal imagination and start reading the threads instead. Learn instead of trolling everyone here.

It is certainly possible to live at Campgrounds ALL YEAR long. IN fact, one of my best friends has done so in various campgrounds in our area.

Whether you are aware of the particulars or not. And no, you're not worth it

Don't bother to say it's a felony either. Or remind us of ANYTHING ELSE in this thread which is illegal insinuating people here are criminals.

I will then report it, it's getting old and is unnecessary and I've already asked you to stop

Learn to have good behavior instead

Maybe then... they'll consider letting you out early
Thank you

Old 02-20-2015, 04:37 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,157,672 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOfZLb33uCg

It's pretty simple if you are on a budget and can't afford to buy a farm or ranch. Simply go back to the Paleolithic. Find a nice cave somewhere near a spring. Learn how to knap flint and start fires by rubbing sticks together. Get some young guy to run down antelope for you while you fish. Make a last concession to civilization by buying a few cases of good liquor and some killer weed seeds. Some poppy seeds too. A prostitute if you don't have a wife. Maybe a few canned goods for when the lizards and squirrels run low in the winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness