Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 10:18 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,482,288 times

Advertisements

It dawned on me that most of us have found items that are very useful in our lives, items that we perhaps stumbled on by accident, or maybe read a great review - but after trying it, we find that it's the best that we have found anywhere, at any time. This is as good a place as any to share those things, so that other people can try it, or at least look it over. It should probably relate to homesteading or preparedness in some way.

The "stuff" can be old or new, still made (so others can check it out). Just state what it is (even multiple items) why you like it so well, and what you use it for. Try not to violate the "No advertising" rule, though people often link to Amazon; you need not provide any link at all, or even mention a brand name. If it's made in the USA, all the better!

I'll start it off, with something I can't live without, and am using heavily right now - a pair of Muck chore boots, made perfectly for Maine's "mud season" . They use neoprene inside, fit tight but not annoyingly and are absolutely waterproof; my pair's going on 3 years old now. I use them for general springtime use in mud and residual snow, and during the summer when tending the poultry or garden. Wife won't let me wear 'em into the house though , wonder why??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2015, 10:43 AM

2,682 posts, read 2,178,384 times
A baseball cap lined with gore tex. Good for wet weather in any season, and it keeps the sun out of my eyes when its not raining.

A 2" blade pocket knife and a 1.5" long flashlight, both of which I carry on my key chain. They're handy in so many ways, its hard to list them. Last week I used the flashlight to look for something I dropped in a movie theatre, and I used the knife to start peeling an orange.

Old 03-16-2015, 10:57 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,593,655 times
White Cloud, my favorite toilet paper.

Sand, brick dust, catalogs, corn cobs, grass, trowels whether plastic or steel, and fingers just can't compare.

Imagine eating a whole jar of Clausen's pickles on an empty stomach. It makes one's rectum smell like a horse's rectum and leaves deposits. Would you really wish to scrape it with a steel trowel or rub brick dust around with your hands getting it under your fingernails?

I once stopped in a Colorado rest area back in the old open pit days. I was almost running to the good old throne room. After relieving myself I noticed that there was no toilet paper. Those holes had their advantages. I was able to remove my pants without getting anything on them. I then removed my shorts and used them for an emergency substitute, dropping them down the hole when I'd finished. Thankfully, I've always worn boxers. Soft cloth is very pleasant, but White Cloud is cheaper.

Old 03-16-2015, 10:59 AM

5,404 posts, read 3,595,350 times
I cant think of anything right now

Old 03-16-2015, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
White Cloud, my favorite toilet paper.

Sand, brick dust, catalogs, corn cobs, grass, trowels whether plastic or steel, and fingers just can't compare.

Imagine eating a whole jar of Clausen's pickles on an empty stomach. It makes one's rectum smell like a horse's rectum and leaves deposits. Would you really wish to scrape it with a steel trowel or rub brick dust around with your hands getting it under your fingernails?

I once stopped in a Colorado rest area back in the old open pit days. I was almost running to the good old throne room. After relieving myself I noticed that there was no toilet paper. Those holes had their advantages. I was able to remove my pants without getting anything on them. I then removed my shorts and used them for an emergency substitute, dropping them down the hole when I'd finished. Thankfully, I've always worn boxers. Soft cloth is very pleasant, but White Cloud is cheaper.
Sounds like a pretty sh*tty situation!

Old 03-16-2015, 11:37 AM

5,404 posts, read 3,595,350 times
someone evidently never heard of tissues, a handkerchief, or a bandana!!!

Old 03-16-2015, 12:05 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,573,379 times
Around hunting camp, you always know the guys that forgot to prepare by the little squares cut out of their t-shirts

One tool I am never without is my multitool. I'm always needing a pair of pliers or a knife or screwdrivers, so a multitool and/or a good swiss army knife are always on my belt.

Secondly, I always carry a zippo lighter, (butane doesn't work in the cold and a zippo can be refilled with gas or kerosene if necessary), and there is a magnesium match on my keychain.

What can I say, I live in a cold country so being able to make a quick fire is essential!

Old 03-16-2015, 12:20 PM

1,344 posts, read 3,403,390 times
I'll 2nd the Muck boots. Their Arctic Sport version is also a great winter boot.

I'll add Carhartt coats.

Old 03-17-2015, 06:17 AM

OK, recent purchase, and it looks good. They call this the "manual chainsaw"! I've been using a Corona folding pruner all winter, and it's been great, so we'll see how this Silky Big Boy compares.

Amazon.com : Silky Folding Landscaping Hand Saw BIGBOY 2000 Extra Large Teeth 356-36 : Hand Pole Saws : Patio, Lawn & Garden

I saw Wranglerstar had one of these, and thought quite highly of it. Anybody else use one?

Old 03-17-2015, 08:49 AM

2,707 posts, read 6,230,775 times
My iPad

I read on it, listen to audio books, look up feed rations, lag screw placement for a ledger board, mysterious rashes or bites, diagram of my car's transmission, have my recipe book stored in it, do my banking, order gear or supplies, research a million and one different topics...and play Words with Friends.

Seriously, I could go back to having dozens of different books, tools and errands that would do the same thing, but I sure wouldn't want to!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness