Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 11:18 AM

400 posts, read 414,149 times

Advertisements

Heres how I got around building codes. In this nanny state you can have an up to 200 sq ft building. They call them an accessory building such as tool sheds, storage buildings, etc. No you are not allowed to live in them. Heck, here in in Rural/Residential zone you are not even allowed to camp under the stars in a sleeping bag, no tents, no travel trailers either. So my two buildings are a barn and a feed shed. This is not residential, does not even have an address. (just to get an address here costs $206 by the way). No, this is an 'agricultural installation', and my property taxes are lower because of it. No electric and plumbing inspection and fees needed because the 'feed shed' is wired by an extension cord run off a generator. No plumbing because its spring water agricultural water sinks, troughs and hoses. But my little real house, way up the mountain deep in the woods has a Thumb Your Nose at the Government Deck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2015, 01:57 PM

2,878 posts, read 4,631,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
You can hardly call it "hogging" anything. We usually choose places where there is next to nothing, just lots and lots of land. The natives are really happy that we're bringing business to their neck of the woods - they need it. I suppose it's OK with you if Algore or some other politician, sports figure, or movie star has a half dozen homes. But it's not OK if John Q. Public does so, on a much smaller scale? Who are you to decide that?
Where did I say anything about the movie stars/Al Gore? Why are you jumping to these conclusions?

You are the one who touted Maine and its weather and all that. Why do you need another home in Tennessee then?

Quote:
I don't recall anyone deriding the rich with large homes. Our Maine property has a ranch that I built myself, with relatives. It is not "low quality" or an eyesore. Our property in RI is a regular home that is 76 years old, and well kept up. This new vacation place is all brand new, and will be similarly kept up. I think it is in poor taste to criticise a modular home. After all, they allow mobile homes there, but we didn't choose that option. We wanted it to fit into the area.

This SS&P forum includes in its premise, the concept of having a "retreat" for uncertain times. We just haven't made up our minds where to "retreat" to! We prefer to have a choice in the matter!
There has been many a post on SS&P deriding the rich with their McMansions. Again, I spoke in general terms, did not say YOU derided them in particular.

You can always put a positive spin on this stuff - "we have not decided yet where to retreat" so we are buying up land and putting up homes left and right. Isn't part of the prepping careful planning and research? Sounds to me like you are just having fun with your money - nothing wrong with that!! But, we should call it what it is...

However, how many people come to this forum with that kind of opportunity? Maybe we should call it the SS&P forum for the people with "plenty of choice" (read: wallowing in dough?)

Old 04-21-2015, 02:10 PM

It is best to have many hideouts. How do you know where you will be when SHTF?

Old 04-21-2015, 03:57 PM

2,878 posts, read 4,631,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk Wallow View Post
It is best to have many hideouts. How do you know where you will be when SHTF?
In today's world how many people can afford multiple properties around the country, all in living conditions with stashes of everything necessary to survive?

Yes, you are correct - it is best. However, that is not the reality for 99% of United States which are people who barely own (and by own I mean vast majority pay mortgage to the banks) one property/home.

It is OK to discuss that, by all means . However, it is akin to books about "green living" written by ex corporate refugees who sold a place in NYC or San Fran for millions and then bought a working farm in the "country" (but not too far from the city!) to have a go at comfy, "green" living. Sounds like Al Gore - just mentioned in negative connotation in a post on this very forum, no?

Old 04-22-2015, 05:43 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,487,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ognend View Post
In today's world how many people can afford multiple properties around the country, all in living conditions with stashes of everything necessary to survive?

Yes, you are correct - it is best. However, that is not the reality for 99% of United States which are people who barely own (and by own I mean vast majority pay mortgage to the banks) one property/home.
OK, I will admit that for younger folks not yet retired, they may well need to live close to town/city, where property is not cheap, and mortgages are the rule. I get that. However, there are many here who have chosen a way of life, or are retired, or are running family ranches or farms...whatever. We have a young man who just built his own "igloo" in Alaska. We have older folks who are retired - even disabled - living in less expensive, "creative" housing. If you are willing and able, choosing to live in a more remote area has its perks.

Where do we draw the line? We have some here who own and work hundreds or thousands of acres. Would you begrudge me a handful of them? We have some here who live in 3-4,000 square foot homes. Ours are much smaller, as we don't need that much space. These are choices that everyone makes in life.

Those of us who are older have put in a working lifetime of labor and savings. We have all been where you are. But we all have choices at every age. If the very young can do it, if the very old can do it, and if those in between who choose to, can do it, then it is possible for anyone. If you have a spouse who disagrees, children to raise and educate, then those are also choices you made along the way. Other folks have chosen differently. I maintain that many people can have multiple properties. But "can" and "are willing to change lifestyle" are two different things. There are plenty of ppl in 30s, 40s and 50s doing as we do.

Old 04-22-2015, 06:12 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,045,846 times
Yes, great thing that there aren't any building codes there. Those pesky code authorities may have pointed out that living in a puddle is going to rot your floor, attract rodents, and be a great spot to breed mosquitoes in your bedroom

Old 04-22-2015, 08:12 AM

6,756 posts, read 8,579,743 times
Quote:
OK, I will admit that for younger folks not yet retired, they may well need to live close to town/city, where property is not cheap, and mortgages are the rule. I get that. However, there are many here who have chosen a way of life, or are retired, or are running family ranches or farms...whatever. We have a young man who just built his own "igloo" in Alaska. We have older folks who are retired - even disabled - living in less expensive, "creative" housing. If you are willing and able, choosing to live in a more remote area has its perks.

Where do we draw the line? We have some here who own and work hundreds or thousands of acres. Would you begrudge me a handful of them? We have some here who live in 3-4,000 square foot homes. Ours are much smaller, as we don't need that much space. These are choices that everyone makes in life.

Those of us who are older have put in a working lifetime of labor and savings. We have all been where you are. But we all have choices at every age. If the very young can do it, if the very old can do it, and if those in between who choose to, can do it, then it is possible for anyone. If you have a spouse who disagrees, children to raise and educate, then those are also choices you made along the way. Other folks have chosen differently. I maintain that many people can have multiple properties. But "can" and "are willing to change lifestyle" are two different things. There are plenty of ppl in 30s, 40s and 50s doing as we do.
Excellent post Nor'Eastah, I owe you some reps

My retirement is coming up in about 15 years, (10 if I can swing it ), and my retirement will be to a small piece of land where I can raise my cattle, have a garden, do my blacksmithing, in short, live a good life like I always wanted to with out a time clock or people depending on me to create jobs or managing them.
Just getting out from under a lot of the responsibilities I have would be heaven. Being able to take a couple days and go fishing, sitting on the front porch of my cabin with a hot cup of coffee, watching the elk and bear as the sun comes up, who could ask for more?

I went back looked at that new piece of land again last weekend, a small place, only about 160 acres, but it has good workable ground for hay and grain, a live spring, good pasture, and a lot lower in elevation, (about 2000 feet lower) than where the cabin is. It's only 10 miles from a small town so medical care would be available for the wife, so in short it would be a nice place to winter at. The nearest neighbor is 2 miles away so it's a little crowded, but not too bad.

No covenents, I would need to build a house, but that's no big deal as I've built several, but down there I would build using a plan I've been working on for years. Sandwiched stone and insulation for a wall that's about 2 feet thick, southern exposure for passive solar heating, cistern's in the basement, 1 for grey water and rainwater for the garden, one for potable water if I have a low flow well, (I haven't been able to talk to any of the local well drillers to see what's there, but with a live spring there should be water within a couple hundred feet of the surface). A greenhouse on the roof to make not only a small garden, but a solarium where I can play my fiddle in the winter while looking out at the mountains.

My father looked at my plans and said, " you should be able to heat that with a kerosene light", which is exactly what I was looking to do. The heavy walls will also keep it cool in summer without air conditioning. I have wind and could put in a couple solar cells if I want for electricity, or one of my own alternative generators I designed. I can make my own fuel, or use horses for a lot of the work if I want.

A good methane digestor for the sewer, and I can have natural gas for running a fridge and water heater, and an auxilary heater if I want. A good woodstove, and I'm set. No bills except for the taxes, which aren't too high for right now, no power bills, maybe have to buy some salt and toilet paper from time to time, but other than that, it would be a great life.

That piece of ground is about $900 an acre, which these days isn't bad, and the fact that there are no building codes in that area make it a perfect place in many ways.

There is a question about an access easement, and if I can get that cleared up before I buy, then that would be a perfect place to retire especially since I have the cabin on another piece with good timber. That ground would handle about 20 cow/calf pairs including producing enough hay for wintering.

Water on the plains is always a concern, but knowing how to catch snowmelt goes a long way toward providing water for stock water and irrigation.

It would be a lot of work, but looking at a timeline of 10 years plus, I could have the place set up and working when I can finally pull the plug and let someone else take on the worries of my jobs.

Looking at your posts and seeing how you did basically the same thing kind of inspired me to do more than just think about it and start actively pursuing it. While my family and I have some land and already ranch, it's a joint venture. I'd like a place of my own away from the place I live due to work right now which is far too close to town.

You spend your life working to make a paycheck, it's good to be able to retire and enjoy the fruits of your work. Earning it and making it yourself, providing a comfortable and secure life for your family and having time to spend with them, THAT's what makes life great.

Old 04-22-2015, 10:11 AM

2,993 posts, read 4,304,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Yes, great thing that there aren't any building codes there. Those pesky code authorities may have pointed out that living in a puddle is going to rot your floor, attract rodents, and be a great spot to breed mosquitoes in your bedroom
Thanks for the criticism. I might add the puddle won't be there for much longer. It is up on gravel pad and the way the gravel is spread / combined with the snow melting, yes it created a puddle. A few loads of gravel and some backfill work later, there will be no puddle. I built it in winter and had to shovel 3 feet of snow out of building site, essentially creating a bowl. Once the snow is melted and more gravel is delivered and other odds and ends are tied up I'll post more pictures. Sans water.

The pics were more to show how cool I thought it was that spray foam could create a monolithic coating and lock everything together.

Anyways, at least I am out here trying and following my dreams, . Can you say the same?

Old 04-22-2015, 10:20 AM

Put yourself out to pasture and buck your bridle off!

Old 04-22-2015, 10:30 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,196,989 times
Quote:

I do agree with you Nor. I moved to Wyoming for a few reasons, one of which was less taxation than where I was living, and I do not live close to any city either.

I am 52 and retired as i can afford to be retired. I own a ranch with a few thousand acres which I bought,I am planning on putting my youngest daughters name on the land as soon as the law legally allows me to, as she would like to work the land and make a living off of it.

I also teach her how to be self reliant and how to live without asking uncle sugar for a nickel and to not trust government when they come calling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness