Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 06:28 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,599,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
All of this is true enough. But it's hard enough to find non-leftists anywhere on CD; to expect them to also become "survivalists" is a bit of a stretch. Only a miniscule percentage of the public in the US -- I'd say about 1% or less -- are truly into survivalism or "prepping". Probably not many more are interested in being truly self-sufficient. Our gov't has made it too darn easy and convenient for us to be lazy and simply trust that all will go smoothly. I imagine the numbers in the UK are just as bad, if not worse.

So, the true "conversation" on the SS&P forum takes place among perhaps 12 or fewer really interested persons, and we all know who they are and what they have to say, by now. That is why it's so important to encourage newcomers to this board. However, if they are just going to be argumentative and annoying, we don't need that, either. Once we get a serious discussion going, interruption by someone who feels we are all wrong and butts in to tell us so, is counter-productive. I don't have the answer.

Why does this bring to mind the cartoon of the little guy with a white beard, carrying around a sign saying, "The End of the World is Coming!".
This is all very true, but don't forget that 1% is three million people in this country alone. Some survivalists like to communicate with their fellows; I love to share ideas, knowledge, etc. There are many others who are not true survivalists, but they are doing some of the same things. I accept them as part of the community.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
yes, the number of true survivalists in the UK is much less than 1%, many who inhabit prepping sites over here are just in it for the "social" side..the odd meet up maybe a weekend camp...nothing serious..usually on a camping site with running water, toilets and showers and usually a shop or café on site as well!! I can probably name most of the serious survivalists on the fingers of one hand, I have met a few over the years and not many fit into the "serious" category, and they seem to drop out of sight with increasing regularity never to be heard of again.
You will scarcely ever meet a true survivalist apart from anonymous internet fora. The prudent person shares little or nothing with anyone he hasn't known for a good long time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2015, 06:33 AM

5,407 posts, read 3,599,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post

You will scarcely ever meeta true survivalist apart from anonymous internet fora. The prudent person shares little or nothing with anyone he hasn't known for a good long time.
communication has to start somewhere, if it didn't we would never ever meet another survivalist, this is more true over here where people do not travel huge distances to meet others.

Old 04-24-2015, 06:36 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,599,129 times
Quote:
your probably right about the books and video's, although I have an extensive library of books about prepping, self sufficiency, self reliance and survivalism. there are lot's of adverts and sales promotions on many prepping sites.
Is there some reason that survival authors and survival suppliers aren't supposed to be compensated? Survival once meant primarily financial survival. It still does for me.

Old 04-24-2015, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Is there some reason that survival authors and survival suppliers aren't supposed to be compensated? Survival once meant primarily financial survival. It still does for me.
survival to me is personal and family basic survival, I expect finance to be the second thing to go down, after the power grid collapses, after any event.

Old 04-24-2015, 07:49 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,485,774 times
Quote:
It does for me, also, but not entirely. Having one's finances intact does little good if one is no longer alive. I feel a strong obligation, as the patriarch of a family (wife, 2 daughters, their husbands, and 6 grandchildren) to be able to secure the lives and safety of all of them, plus my own brother, his children, and wife's brother. I don't go much beyond that, and rely heavily on the efforts of my brother and BIL.

I am also not unaware that in a worst-case scenario, food will be the equivalent of money, if we get to that. I always feel that I can start over again, if I have my land (another reason why I prefer to diversify holdings all over the country, and will purchase more, despite criticism), my health, plenty of food and gear, barteribles etc. At the same time, I don't want to spread myself too thin. I think this is a worthy topic for discussion.

Old 04-24-2015, 09:42 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,885,876 times
My guess is the OP has no idea what a "blockade runner" is...and I don't even want to know how bolt cutters relate to the topic of blockade running.

Old 04-24-2015, 10:07 AM

950 posts, read 924,073 times
Quote:
trouble is there are lots of people on survival forums that call themselves preppers, but they are nothing of the sort, many don't last long and go onto the next "cool" thing, then of course there are the trolls who have no interest in the subject but just want to start an argument to show just how "superior" they are.

The ones I laugh at are the ones who feel the need to add "homesteader" to their posting name and for location add.............'soon to be Alaska"

That person will be posting............"soon to be Alaska".....for the next 10 years just as he has been for the past ten years.

Homesteading.........that term used to be used in my grandparents era ( mid 1800's) where you homesteaded free land that you got from the govt with stipulations.

People who buy land and call themselves homesteaders make me laugh as much as a city slicker who buys a cowboy hat and calls himself a cowboy.

Last edited by VJDAY81445; 04-24-2015 at 10:25 AM..

Old 04-24-2015, 10:20 AM

homesteader is not a term used in my country, they would be a small holder instead.

Old 04-24-2015, 12:27 PM

950 posts, read 924,073 times
........"blockade runner "....."homesteading"..." soon to be Alaska "

the terminology some of you use is why most people don't take people in this forum seriously

Old 04-24-2015, 12:37 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,978,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VJDAY81445 View Post
........"blockade runner "....."homesteading"..." soon to be Alaska "

the terminology some of you use is why most people don't take people in this forum seriously
Well, A, B, and C.......and then there is D.

A: Someone told me I was heading toward homesteading, so I picked up the term. Further, wiki as in Homesteading - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia suggests that for what I am planning, I am heading that direction.

B: As far as "blockade runner", I was being imaginative and frivolous; it's one of the ways I was relax ALTHOUGH, I will admit........that "Morituri" tends to be a favorite movie, both for inspiration and in my REM.

C: "soon to be Alaska"??????? NOT ON YOUR LIFE! I'm a Texas Girl, maybe not through and through, but certainly dedicated and ingrained.

..............................and then there is D: Seeing my thread turned from bolt cutters to something would make me question the seriousness of this forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness