Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2015, 06:05 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,488,293 times

Advertisements

I have been on the road for the past 2 weeks, and in an environment where I seldom had an AC outlet to recharge my phone or tablet. Yet, I was able to stay connected with those at home, and with the companies that I was dealing with here. I was also able to recharge my AA batteries for flashlights, radios, camera and personal CD player. Here's what I used:

Amazon.com: Anker 2nd Gen Astro E5 16000mAh Portable Charger External Battery Power Bank with PowerIQ Technology 2-Port 3A for iPhone 6 Plus 5S 5C 5 4S, iPad Air, mini, Galaxy S6 S5 S4 S3, Note 4 3 2, Tab 4 3 2 Pro, Nexus 4 5 7 10, HTC One, One 2 (M8

These are fairly new...we bought 2 of them to use at home (no grid power). These are 16,000 mAh, but we had 2 of the 10,000 mAh from previously, and I brought the 2 older ones with me. Lots of different companies put these out, but we have been happy with the Anker, as both ports will charge with the same output. Of course, these external batteries also need to be recharged, so I brought something else along:

Amazon.com: Anker® 14W Dual-Port Solar Charger with PowerIQ™ Technology: Cell Phones & Accessories

This is also a neat item that is compact and folds out to provide 14 watts of solar power to charge either the battery packs, or the phone/tablet directly. There are 2 ports, and here in the sunny south, these have been silently crankin' for me every day. But I need to keep my AA cells charged, too, so I brought along:

Amazon.com : SunJack USB Battery Charger for AA/AAA Ni-Mh and Ni-Cd Batteries : Camera & Photo

All of this technology is brought to you via the wonder of lithium batteries, and solar panels. I had been worried about keeping my food cold on this trip; a mini-fridge would have required a heavy lead-acid battery, so I just used a cooler and locally-purchased ice. That's why I am so anxious for the bigger "whole house" lithium batteries to be introduced - small, lightweight, and able to be deeply discharged. They're coming soon!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2015, 08:32 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,602,965 times
I have three 12 volt sockets in my truck. I can plug my cell phone into one. I have a device (no longer n=made) that plugs into another one and has a lead acid battery. This produces 12 volt current to start the truck in an emergency. I have an inverter for it as well. I can plug my Kindle Paperwhite USB plug into the 110 plug and plug that into the inverter (400 watts). Amazon doesn't carry it any longer, but they have others. I also have a Maglite that I can charge in the truck.

I don't normally use the internet when I travel, but I occasionally use a hotel computer available for guests to check emails and bank balances. I hardly ever answer emails since they're virtually all commercial notifications and marketing. My Kindle Paperwhite has plenty of reading material to while away the time. Other people can call me or send me text messages which I ignore if I can. I call people using voice only. People who want my business will call me.

I make sure that my bills are all paid before I leave on a trip. I had a little refrigerator years ago, but when it failed I didn't replace it.

Last edited by Happy in Wyoming; 05-02-2015 at 08:44 AM..

Old 05-02-2015, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I have three 12 volt sockets in my truck. I can plug my cell phone into one. I have a device (no longer n=made) that plugs into another one and has a lead acid battery. This produces 12 volt current to start the truck in an emergency. I have an inverter for it as well. I can plug my Kindle Paperwhite USB plug into the 110 plug and plug that into the inverter (400 watts). Amazon doesn't carry it any longer, but they have others. I also have a Maglite that I can charge in the truck.
Good stuff! I also have a 12V socket in my truck, with 2 USB ports in it. As long as the truck is running, I can charge things with that. BUT if the truck is not running, I need to be able to charge with solar and battery.
I have a 500 watt inverter in my truck, and a jump pack for dead/weak battery. The jump pack is rated at 1700 amps but has no outlets for 12V or USB. I traded that stuff for higher amps!

In the event of a power outage, and ppl who are not traveling, the lithiums and solar seem to be the answer!

Old 05-02-2015, 10:28 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,602,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
Good stuff! I also have a 12V socket in my truck, with 2 USB ports in it. As long as the truck is running, I can charge things with that. BUT if the truck is not running, I need to be able to charge with solar and battery.
I have a 500 watt inverter in my truck, and a jump pack for dead/weak battery. The jump pack is rated at 1700 amps but has no outlets for 12V or USB. I traded that stuff for higher amps!

In the event of a power outage, and ppl who are not traveling, the lithiums and solar seem to be the answer!
Do you mean that you have 2 USB sockets that allow you to plug a device into a normal 12 volt socket?

The presence of 12 volt sockets wouldn't limit the amount of amperage. The manufacturers are apparently just trying to cut costs.

Is there any problem with using 220 in a solar and battery setup? My current primary backup is a diesel generator that handles everything.

I've charged a cell phone without having the engine running; it doesn't cause any problems.

Old 05-02-2015, 10:29 AM

2,878 posts, read 4,632,049 times
Amazon has tons of various chargers that plug into foldable solar arrays - you already found those.

There must be a whole lot of people who hate Tesla right now. Great American ingenuity and innovation at work - Tesla will change the way things work with the utility companies with the whole house battery - can't wait to see that in action.

Old 05-02-2015, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Do you mean that you have 2 USB sockets that allow you to plug a device into a normal 12 volt socket?
Yes. This thing has 4 USB ports:

http://www.amazon.com/Charger-PowerI...sb+car+adapter

Quote:
The presence of 12 volt sockets wouldn't limit the amount of amperage. The manufacturers are apparently just trying to cut costs.

Is there any problem with using 220 in a solar and battery setup? My current primary backup is a diesel generator that handles everything.

I've charged a cell phone without having the engine running; it doesn't cause any problems.
Actually, the cheaper "power station" type jump packs (~ $100) are the ones that have all the bells and whistles - but not the kind of current to start a V8 or diesel truck. My Clore 660 is meant to be a jump pack only. No reason they couldn't add a USB, but why bother for a serious jump pack?

You certainly can use 220V in solar/batteries. You just need to wire the batteries in series until you get to that voltage (e.g. 20 x 12V batteries = 240VDC). The voltage of the solar panels has nothing to do with it. If you want 220VAC going through an inverter, you can also do it that way:

http://www.amazon.com/Sunwin-Power-I.../dp/B00A0ESNKU

Something using as little power as a cell phone won't bother your truck battery, even if not running. But continually charging a tablet or laptop with the engine off could deplete the battery.

Last edited by Nor'Eastah; 05-02-2015 at 12:09 PM..

Old 05-02-2015, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ognend View Post
There must be a whole lot of people who hate Tesla right now. Great American ingenuity and innovation at work - Tesla will change the way things work with the utility companies with the whole house battery - can't wait to see that in action.
The utilities have actually tried to stop Tesla. But word got out that you can use your hybrid or electric car battery to power your house (e.g. people have done this with their Prius). So the public is now aware of the lithiums and the ability to store power with them.

As it stands now, anyone with grid-connected power and solar panels sells power to the utility at non-peak rates (10 am to 4pm, when the sun is out) and buys that power back at peak rates (4 pm till 10 am the next day, when families are usually at home). What a rip-off! Can you imagine what the utilities stand to lose if people with solar start to store their own power? No wonder they hate the idea.

Utilities are dinosaurs anyway, like the land-line phone companies were. They will fade away, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness