Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2015, 01:48 PM

4,288 posts, read 2,059,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashpelham View Post
I stayed in Atlanta, GA over the weekend filming and independent movie. I am an unknown actor and usually have to work in Atlanta, as my hometown of Birmingham has far too little to keep me busy.

My experience in GA was non-eventful. But the travel back home took a dark turn. Just as I'm entering Birmingham city limits near 9:30 pm, a car approached my car from behind at a high speed, flashing lights. I moved over a lane, on I-459 South, to allow him to pass. He did pass, then immediately came over into my lane and locked up the car brakes. I responded, then went around him to his left. He attempted to sideswipe me from a dead standstill, but I was too fast and avoided him. Essentially, we repeated this same driving technique for the next 10 miles, at widely varying speeds, each time, the driver would pull in front of me, and come to a complete stop, on a divided 6 lane limited access highway with a 70mph speed limit. Other traffic was trying to avoid what was happening, and it became a terrifying scenario.

At an earlier point in the event, I had called 911 to attempt to reach local law enforcement or highway patrol. Dispatch was asking my relative mile marker position, and I was quick with the answers. I obtained an exact license plate number, full description of car, and easy description of the suspect. For the next 10 miles, 15 minutes, in a heavily traveled, and high density area, no law enforcement ever came to assist.

I made a decision after one point that I could wait till the next part of the event, and pass him from a standstill, and then lay into my accellarator, and gain as much speed to get away as possible. My car was at roughly 130 mph at it's highest speed. I lost the aggressive driver, and decided to proceed to the closest police station I knew of. Unfortunately, they have now moved their offices well away from that location, so I meandered through a winding business park, when my aggressor caught back up to me, somehow.

He cornered around me, actually impacting an embankment, stopping in front of me, then exiting his automobile. His passenger and he began yelling comments in hispanic at me. I took an opportunity with him out of his car, to get around and take off again. I ran probably 5 red lights around 10:00pm at night, again, in a busy congested area, that just happened to be very quiet last night. Very little car traffic. I was as cautious in running the lights as I could.

I felt I had lost sight of the driver. I pulled into a Steak and Shake, parked, checked my surroundings, and quickly walked into the busy restaurant. At this time, the dispatch on my phone let me know that local officers wanted me to remain there and wait. I did just that.

I provided vehicle info and tag number to Hoover Police Department officers, who basically were just trying to get me calmed down. I was panicked, with rapid heart rate and sweat. I was thinking of my wife and my two daughters at home, about 5 miles south of our location. The officer followed me home to my garage. We spoke briefly about my rights to protect myself, and I informed him that I did not previously own any firearms, but that would now be changing.

He said he supports the 2nd amendment fully, and I do too. I do not envy the job that officers have, and I will never allow myself to be a victim again. My father in law has allowed me to sport-shoot his .44 magnum before, and a couple of others. I hope to find a smaller weapon that my wife and I both can use, and we will be taking it with us from this point forward. I have already filled out pistol permit information, and will request to carry as a concealed weapon.

I will not live in fear in these United States of America.
Have you ever watched "duel" with Dennis Weaver. It is a road duel between a mysyterious trucker and a driver (Dennis Weaver).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2015, 02:18 PM

2,878 posts, read 4,632,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
No, liberal policies that promote crime have made a nation of sheep that are more afraid of the law and protecting themselves than the criminals.
You kow-tow to thugs if you want. I have different options.

How pathetic that there are those that advocate coddling criminals instead of supporting victims of crime.
I am not going to turn this into a pissing match - it is obvious you are enraged at some perceived state of our society and all your reactions are guided by that.

The OP came here for advice what to do and everyone told him to get a gun.

I am telling the OP that having a gun in your hand or pocket may prevent you from being a victim but it may also turn you into a convicted murderer. It is a fine line because it is based on your perception at the time you pulled the trigger - having a gun in a situation may also make you much less open to being smart and willing to avoid a confrontation - all of a sudden both parties are stupid and violent and that never ends well. OP was smart, they handled this well and they are alive - nobody got hurt. He could have easily shot them when they came out of the car if he had a gun.

Old 07-01-2015, 02:18 PM

400 posts, read 414,197 times
Where I live rural I believe there are two possibilities- Bears and home invasions. I have been a nurse for decades. I really do not want to kill anyone, but to simply run them off. How about a great big 12 gauge that shoots blanks? I know all you shoot to kill people won't like this. But the sound of a shot gun jacking a shell into the chamber from behind a closed door is most repugnant. And if needed, the cannon-like barrel appearing in the crack of the chained door. Or how about the first one is a blank, the second is live?

Otherwise I open carry bear spray. Its good for what ails you. I have a hidden backup can.

Old 07-01-2015, 02:20 PM

2,878 posts, read 4,632,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brrabbit View Post
Not exactly,

"I do believe that where there is only a choice between cowardice and violence I would advise violence.
I advocate training in arms for those who believe in the method of violence. I would rather have India resort to arms in order to defend her honor than that she should in a cowardly manner become or remain a helpless witness to her own dishonor." Gandhi from "The Doctrine Of The Sword"

Also this - "It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our breasts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. Violence is any day preferable to impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent. " 27 years later...
Yet he chose non-violence and endured so that he could have a free India.

I am not advocating people get beaten or victimized or watch their loved ones get victimized when obviously there is no other choice but to fight. However, the fact that the majority of people on this thread jumped immediately to recommend a gun is, well, sad...

Old 07-01-2015, 02:22 PM

2,852 posts, read 1,613,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ognend View Post
I am not going to turn this into a pissing match. The OP came here for advice what to do and everyone told him to get a gun.

I am telling the OP that having a gun in your hand or pocket may prevent you from being a victim but it may also turn you into a convicted murderer. It is a fine line because it is based on your perception at the time you pulled the trigger - having a gun in a situation may also make you much less open to being smart and willing to avoid a confrontation - all of a sudden both parties are stupid and violent and that never ends well.
As someone already posted, and many others agreed, 'Better be judged by 12 than carried by 6'...
If someone puts me in a position for me to fear for my life, they'd better hope I'm NOT carrying...

Old 07-01-2015, 02:26 PM

781 posts, read 736,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobiashen View Post
I think they wanted money.
This is what I was thinking too. Maybe they were trying to pull that b s insurance same thing.

Old 07-01-2015, 03:23 PM

3,368 posts, read 2,891,624 times
Quote:
However, the fact that the majority of people on this thread jumped immediately to recommend a gun is, well, sad...
To you, it's sad. To me, it's very patriotic and american

I'm one of those who would prefer to have a gun in that situation. But I'd be very reluctant to use it, unless the attacker started to shoot at me, or managed to break my window. Why I would prefer it? Primarily, because it soothes my nerves and it's very important as well to stay as unstressed as you could in a stressful situation (and good for health in general too).

What I'd do differently if I had a gun? I'd stop and get my gun ready, when those guys show their intention to side sweep me off the road, not try to bypass them at all costs. I would start driving though when I see anyone approaching my car.

Then, after he got away from them, I would not stop and take a breather (twice!) and let them catch up with me until I am in front of a police building and I'd go into it asap to file a report and request protection.
However, he's around to tell us this story, so what he did was good enough for him.

Old 07-01-2015, 03:38 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,239,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
It's a good idea to carry. It is also a good idea to get some car video cameras to document what happens on the roadways. The best thing you could have done in that situation had you been armed is pull over to the shoulder of the highway and call the police. You need to keep repeating you are in fear for your life. Make sure they know you are not the aggressor. DO NOT approach the other car. DO NOT exit your vehicle unless you are forced to.

DO NOT DRIVE. You are far more likely to die playing road games with the road rager than if you sit tight and prepare to defend yourself.

BS: "The best thing you could have done in that situation had you been armed is pull over to the shoulder of the highway and call the police."

You just want a shoot out. Don't stop the car and don't drive like you are in NASCAR. He avoided the guy's several times. He already stated that he called for help and none ever came. What should he have done when they came up to the car? What if they started swinging a bat or pulled firearms?

Old 07-01-2015, 03:46 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,239,617 times
Quote:
I am not going to turn this into a pissing match - it is obvious you are enraged at some perceived state of our society and all your reactions are guided by that.

The OP came here for advice what to do and everyone told him to get a gun.

I am telling the OP that having a gun in your hand or pocket may prevent you from being a victim but it may also turn you into a convicted murderer. It is a fine line because it is based on your perception at the time you pulled the trigger - having a gun in a situation may also make you much less open to being smart and willing to avoid a confrontation - all of a sudden both parties are stupid and violent and that never ends well. OP was smart, they handled this well and they are alive - nobody got hurt. He could have easily shot them when they came out of the car if he had a gun.

I have had a pistol on me several times when i thought things were going to get bad. Were i unarmed i would have been scared ****less and would have been a victim. I knew what i was going to do if anything turned worse and i think it might have been they saw that this gimp wasn't a bit scared of them thus the didn't try anything. i do agree with you that it is a fine line between murder and self-defense. Any alcohol on your breath or the smell of pot and very likely you will get charged with something. So many people never even think that once you pull that trigger you have unleashed a thought that cannot be taken back and very possibly will change your life as you know it forever. Be smart and be careful don't play RAMBO.

I

Old 07-01-2015, 04:24 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,269,233 times
In the meantime carry a can of wasp spray that you can reach from the driver's seat, the kind that shoots 20 feet will enable you to blind two attackers simultaneously and who won't immediately be able to recover. Remember, they know what your car looks like now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness