Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2015, 04:24 PM

2,878 posts, read 4,620,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brrabbit View Post
To you, it's sad. To me, it's very patriotic and american
I understand where you are coming from - if the bad guys have them, then the good guys need them. We are not talking about gun control here. I am simply trying to tell the OP that owning a gun and having it available in such a situation can be a double edged sword. You know, live by the sword, die by the sword kind of deal. If you are in mortal danger and have a gun, by all means - use it and worry about the legalities later. However, make damn sure you are in mortal danger. Make sure you don't scare easy and are overly confident knowing there is a weapon in your pocket. Finally, do not ask advice online on what to do - do your research and find the means of self defense most suitable / agreeable for you. Way too many people have all sorts of axes to grind and are quick to recommend something that suits them when it might not suit the person in question. Also, if you do decide on a gun, make sure you have practiced all this stuff until it is etched into your head. If you don't have your own shooting range or space available, this can be a pretty expensive proposition (range fees, ammo - if you are not reloading, so on and so on)

Last edited by ognend; 07-01-2015 at 04:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2015, 09:13 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,528,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanR View Post
Exactly why I pointed out early in the thread that a baseball bat doesn't do you any good if they have guns.

I'm not disagreeing that there's a lot of responsibility owning, handling and choosing when to use a firearm (especially against people).

Had I been in the OP's shoes, I would take evasive steps and wouldn't entice a gun fight. I was saying that being armed yourself is a great equalizer.

Yes, my point in having a gun, as a woman is that women are targeted for crime, to begin with. Then it's not the point of using one when unnecessary, it's having SOMETHING to protect yourself with, since I am no match for even the skinniest of male street criminals. So if I brandish a gun, and they are armed and shoot me instead? Well....what do you think they were going to do, in the first place, if I didn't have a gun?

I'm reminded of an incident I read about where a woman was in her car, stopped on the side of the road. Don't recall why...maybe her car broke down, or maybe they hit her car. She was then surrounded by some not so nice men. They were outside. She was inside on her cell phone calling for help. I don't recall how it ended, but it ended with her being fine. Maybe the authorities got there in time. But if they hadn't gotten there in time, her only chance would have been to be armed, even if she couldn't have killed all of them. The first line of defense was the phone. Then she had nothing, since she had no weapon. The men didn't need weapons. They WERE weapons.

As for adrenaline, I can relate. I had an attempted break-in at my apartment years ago. There was no back entry, so I was a sitting duck as the criminal used his tools to start breaking into my door. I got my little .22, which had a clip and safety. I fumbled with it. As I tried to pull back on the thing that puts a bullet into the chamber (it was very hard to do), part of the gun flipped open and ejected the bullet across the room. I had no time after that, so I ended up pointing the unloaded gun at the intruder through the window next to the door. Thank goodness he wasn't armed. He was just a burglar. He raised his hands, stood there a while while I called police on my phone, then he took off, jumping over a high fence.

Now I have a revolver, with nothing to pull or switch. I need to go practice, though. Adrenaline and urgency does make a difference.

Old 07-01-2015, 09:39 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,528,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
I think you averted a car-jacking. They saw your BMW and decided they were going to try to get it.

Oh, and though they were Hispanic, the language they spoke was Spanish.
I hadn't thought of that. It might have been an attempted carjacking, at that. Scary.

Old 07-02-2015, 05:19 AM

50,138 posts, read 63,575,256 times
That is a truly scary story, but as others have said, what would have been the difference if OP had had a gun? I hope the police follow up and catch the guy. It might have been a stolen car, so they won't find him, but if it was an insurance scam the perp wouldn't be in a stolen car.

Old 07-02-2015, 06:05 AM

2,878 posts, read 4,620,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
Yes, my point in having a gun, as a woman is that women are targeted for crime, to begin with. Then it's not the point of using one when unnecessary, it's having SOMETHING to protect yourself with, since I am no match for even the skinniest of male street criminals. So if I brandish a gun, and they are armed and shoot me instead? Well....what do you think they were going to do, in the first place, if I didn't have a gun?

I'm reminded of an incident I read about where a woman was in her car, stopped on the side of the road. Don't recall why...maybe her car broke down, or maybe they hit her car. She was then surrounded by some not so nice men. They were outside. She was inside on her cell phone calling for help. I don't recall how it ended, but it ended with her being fine. Maybe the authorities got there in time. But if they hadn't gotten there in time, her only chance would have been to be armed, even if she couldn't have killed all of them. The first line of defense was the phone. Then she had nothing, since she had no weapon. The men didn't need weapons. They WERE weapons.

As for adrenaline, I can relate. I had an attempted break-in at my apartment years ago. There was no back entry, so I was a sitting duck as the criminal used his tools to start breaking into my door. I got my little .22, which had a clip and safety. I fumbled with it. As I tried to pull back on the thing that puts a bullet into the chamber (it was very hard to do), part of the gun flipped open and ejected the bullet across the room. I had no time after that, so I ended up pointing the unloaded gun at the intruder through the window next to the door. Thank goodness he wasn't armed. He was just a burglar. He raised his hands, stood there a while while I called police on my phone, then he took off, jumping over a high fence.

Now I have a revolver, with nothing to pull or switch. I need to go practice, though. Adrenaline and urgency does make a difference.
I think you are kind of proving my point - just getting a gun (which most people do after these situations) is not enough and can, in fact, be a liability - you could have fiddled with the .22 and shot yourself (being all nervous) or worse yet, your own gun could have been used against you. Had you not been home, the perp could have found the gun and waited for you too, now he is armed and waiting.
Had you decided to shoot the guy while he was breaking in - you could have ended up in court on the bench. That's the thing with guns - just owning them is not enough, knowing how to pull the trigger is only 1/10th of the story. Having the clarity of mind in a situation like that is a much bigger deal. If a person is by themselves, in 90% of the situations while someone is breaking in, (if) they can and it is safe, they should probably exit through a window on the opposite end of the house and just leave the immediate area (go to a neighbor or whatever), while on the phone with the police. Let the perp go through the house and wait for the police to deal with him. Now if you live 45 minutes from the nearest police/sheriff - obviously the situation is totally different.

Old 07-02-2015, 07:24 AM

50,138 posts, read 63,575,256 times
I can't argue with the desire to own, and feel comfortable with, a permitted gun. It is on my bucket list, since we never know when we might need to be responsible for our own security.

Just this morning there was a news item about a couple, both worked for CNN, who shot and killed an armed robber who broke into their hotel room. Unfortunately for the robber, both of them had concealed carry permits, and the husband was former Green Beret, and the wife a former Deputy Sheriff.

Old 07-02-2015, 07:50 AM

6,752 posts, read 8,534,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I can't argue with the desire to own, and feel comfortable with, a permitted gun. It is on my bucket list, since we never know when we might need to be responsible for our own security.

Just this morning there was a news item about a couple, both worked for CNN, who shot and killed an armed robber who broke into their hotel room. Unfortunately for the robber, both of them had concealed carry permits, and the husband was former Green Beret, and the wife a former Deputy Sheriff.
WHAT A MISTAKE!!
That POOR INNOCENT CRIMINAL!! They should have run screaming like little girls and made sure that he got whatever he wanted!! Or at least submitted quietly so he could rape or kill them while he robbed them!!
Remember, guns are evil and criminals have rights, so you shouldn't do anything to make their life more difficult.
It's your duty to die easily when they attack you....

Or you might get a ticket or something for protecting your life!!!

Sarcasm key off now.

Being a criminal in the commision of a crime indicates that individual is willing to do violence to take what they want unlawfully, and if you stand in the way you have a good chance of being killed or injured.
You are the only one that can protect yourself because when seconds count, the police are minutes away.

The cops will conduct an investigation, maybe they will catch the perp, maybe the perp will be prosecuted and jailed, but the one thing you can count on is you will still be injured/raped/murdered if you do nothing but submit.

A firearm isn't for everybody, but the responsibility to have means and the will and the ability to protect yourself is entirely yours.

Old 07-02-2015, 07:59 AM

813 posts, read 597,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post

I'm glad you got a revolver, for most women it is a better, safer choice. My wife wanted a semi but she could never rack the slide properly and I told her it was more of a liability than an asset.

Good luck, Rg

Old 07-02-2015, 10:00 AM

7,988 posts, read 12,672,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
BS: "The best thing you could have done in that situation had you been armed is pull over to the shoulder of the highway and call the police."

You just want a shoot out. Don't stop the car and don't drive like you are in NASCAR. He avoided the guy's several times. He already stated that he called for help and none ever came. What should he have done when they came up to the car? What if they started swinging a bat or pulled firearms?
And you just want a car wreck that may kill or injure innocent people. I am not going to play road games when I don't have to. I would have everything documented via the dashcam and if the person decided to approach the vehicle I would defend myself.

What happens when you are trying to play "Grand theft auto V" with this guy? What if in his chase he runs a red light and kills innocent children? In my opinion it is best to stop and see if he has a problem with me that he is willing to die for.

Old 07-02-2015, 12:50 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,196,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
And you just want a car wreck that may kill or injure innocent people. I am not going to play road games when I don't have to. I would have everything documented via the dashcam and if the person decided to approach the vehicle I would defend myself.

What happens when you are trying to play "Grand theft auto V" with this guy? What if in his chase he runs a red light and kills innocent children? In my opinion it is best to stop and see if he has a problem with me that he is willing to die for.
I didn't say anything about going high speed. You don't have to run any red lights at all. His Beemer has plenty of low end power. As another poster stated just wait until the last moment for an exit and then cut down the exit ramp. Jump on the entrance ramp and go back the other way you came from all the time let the cops know where you are.Your car can also be a weapon when it is moving also. When Your car is stopped it sure makes it easier for them to come you and shoot you. I sure prefer to be a moving target than a stationary one. These thugs wanted a confrontation from the get go. Why fall prey to their plans. Stooping your car to have a shoot out might just get you charged as well.

As i said before you want a confrontation. The OP just wanted to be left alone.

"In my opinion it is best to stop and see if he has a problem with me that he is willing to die for.[/quote]"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness