Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2015, 07:59 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,602,965 times

Advertisements

Aristotle considered artisans/mechanics to be at a level barely above slaves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2015, 08:16 AM

3,368 posts, read 2,891,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ognend View Post
You realize you re quoting a SCIENCE FICTION writer, no?
Robert Heinlein was also Navy Officer, Inventor, Engineer, Silver Miner, Real Estate Agent and politician. Good example for his quote himself, I would dare say

Old 07-08-2015, 08:38 AM

2,878 posts, read 4,632,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
You're basically describing what used to be called a "Renaissance Man". Someone that could do anything and do it well.

What is a Renaissance Man? (with pictures)

In the early days of this country, the movers and shakers nearly all had these traits, Daniel Webster is a good example of this.

It's a good guideline.
Hah.

Most people, as soon as they earned some amount of money deemed successful and rich, stopped doing manual labor themselves. It is just normal progression of things. If you are well to do, you sweat for exercise and pleasure, not because you are dying to break your back digging ditches or laying fences. You let the people who have no other means of making a living to that. The families of well to do all enjoyed the wealth (even though many times it was acquired illegally, esp. in the 1800s and early 1900s). Even in the 1880s (blasphemy!) they had servants and hired hands, you know.

By your definition, anyone not doing manual work is stupid and lazy and spoiled.

You are a perfect model for the proletariat?

Old 07-08-2015, 09:07 AM

6,756 posts, read 8,581,124 times
Quote:
Hah.

Most people, as soon as they earned some amount of money deemed successful and rich, stopped doing manual labor themselves. It is just normal progression of things. If you are well to do, you sweat for exercise and pleasure, not because you are dying to break your back digging ditches or laying fences. You let the people who have no other means of making a living to that. The families of well to do all enjoyed the wealth (even though many times it was acquired illegally, esp. in the 1800s and early 1900s). Even in the 1880s (blasphemy!) they had servants and hired hands, you know.

By your definition, anyone not doing manual work is stupid and lazy and spoiled.

You are a perfect model for the proletariat?
Personal attacks and insults, what a surprise.

Nor'eastah and Happy in Wyoming were right. It's pointless to try to talk to you.

Bye- Bye.

Last edited by MTSilvertip; 07-08-2015 at 09:47 AM..

Old 07-08-2015, 09:24 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,917,022 times
OP: I guess you would say my own upbringing. My parents were depression children and went through WWII as adults. They had 5 kids and struggled to put food on the table and clothes on our backs. In JR. High, I only had two pairs of pants. We ate good, but we weren't given much. I started working when I was 13 and have worked pretty much ever since. I worked my way through college, and lived in some no so nice places to afford it all. Now, as you say, I see all kinds of people living on the dole, living in huge debt, and the govt. running up huge debt. It can't go on forever, so our plan is to go back to our roots, so to speak. We're too old to start a farm and become self sufficient in growing our own food etc. So our goal is to learn to live on as little as possible. Minimalism. There's more than one way to skin a cat.

Old 07-08-2015, 09:39 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,684,015 times
For me it was that long drive into town.

Old 07-08-2015, 09:58 AM

3,368 posts, read 2,891,624 times
Quote:
Knowing and being able to do things by yourself and doing it all the time for living are two different things...

Old 07-08-2015, 09:58 AM

400 posts, read 414,197 times
" Small Things That Compelled You into Survival and Preparedness ". My father was a fighter pilot. Some of my ancestors died defending the Alamo. I grew up in the suburbs at the edge of the wild hills and 30 miles from the sea. I bought my first horse with babysitting money at age 15, and rode that mare to the sea and back. From the hill tops the town down there looked to me like a pile of garbage. I moved away to Texas and worked my way through nursing school, learned about medical care of human beings, retired young, put out to pasture, bucked my bridle off whoopee

Back on the west coast where I live now in an isolated earthquake zone, its not a question of if, but when. So I have a stock of prep items and food producing livestock, and a good Arabian horse to ride in these mountains above the sea. I also keep basic medical items. When the highway bridges shake down I can be of some service.

Old 07-08-2015, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brrabbit View Post
Knowing and being able to do things by yourself and doing it all the time for living are two different things...
Exactly. I have put in my own fencing on a few acres of rock underneath the thin soil. I have built things. Would I do it again? Hell no, that's what the hired labor is for.

Old 07-08-2015, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
Personal attacks and insults, what a surprise.

Nor'eastah and Happy in Wyoming were right. It's pointless to try to talk to you.

Bye- Bye.
Oops. After spewing insults and pooh-pooh all over people "with cell phones" and the "people who only sweat in the gym", now you got offended. Boo hoo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness