Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the best State to live in when the SHTF?
Wyoming 6 4.48%
Montana 12 8.96%
North Dakota 1 0.75%
South Dakota 1 0.75%
New Mexico 2 1.49%
Idaho 6 4.48%
Nebraska 3 2.24%
Nevada 3 2.24%
Utah 1 0.75%
Kansas 2 1.49%
Oregon 5 3.73%
Maine 5 3.73%
Colorado 2 1.49%
Iowa 2 1.49%
Oklahoma 2 1.49%
Arkansas 3 2.24%
Arizona 1 0.75%
Mississippi 1 0.75%
Vermont 1 0.75%
Minnesota 3 2.24%
West Virginia 2 1.49%
Missouri 6 4.48%
Alabama 4 2.99%
Texas 9 6.72%
Washington 2 1.49%
Wisconsin 2 1.49%
Louisiana 0 0%
Kentucky 2 1.49%
New Hampshire 4 2.99%
Tennessee 3 2.24%
South Carolina 0 0%
Georgia 4 2.99%
Michigan 2 1.49%
Indiana 0 0%
North Carolina 4 2.99%
Virginia 2 1.49%
Illinois 1 0.75%
California 11 8.21%
Ohio 1 0.75%
Pennsylvania 3 2.24%
Florida 5 3.73%
New York 1 0.75%
Delaware 0 0%
Maryland 0 0%
Connecticut 0 0%
Massachusetts 2 1.49%
Rhode Island 0 0%
New Jersey 2 1.49%
Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 09:59 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,990,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
So long as the government is supporting the un 21 agenda, they are treasonous.
If your not reviewing that agenda ,a great many of your plans might be useless.
have you actually read the document or are you just blindly parroting the loony conspiracy theory rhetoric that has been proven false so many time. Its just a discussion document that talks about a world wide look at sustainability for the planet. It's not a binding document on anyone and there is no actual plans to be followed. Its just talk and discussion pieces (many of the same things talked about on this forum when discussing self reliance and sustainability). No actual plans are associated with it. I thinks some of the tin foil idiots read a few paragraphs and ran off to Stupidville with all their pied piper rats in tow. May I suggest you actually read what your talking about!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2015, 07:28 PM

2,878 posts, read 4,631,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
have you actually read the document or are you just blindly parroting the loony conspiracy theory rhetoric that has been proven false so many time. Its just a discussion document that talks about a world wide look at sustainability for the planet. It's not a binding document on anyone and there is no actual plans to be followed. Its just talk and discussion pieces (many of the same things talked about on this forum when discussing self reliance and sustainability). No actual plans are associated with it. I thinks some of the tin foil idiots read a few paragraphs and ran off to Stupidville with all their pied piper rats in tow. May I suggest you actually read what your talking about!
I have given up on this discussion - quite a few members of this "group" propagate the same BS about UN troops coming to United States and blah blah blah. Sorry but someone believing that is beyond help and frankly, why bother even acknowledging the post?

Old 08-05-2015, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brrabbit View Post
How does GDP PPP relate to normal person life? Majority of Russians own their apartments/houses, have 1-2 cars, buy same clothes from the same China for 10 times cheaper, have their food grown locally. Their expenses are structured totally differently than here in US. Middle class families travel once a year for vacation. They pay 12% income tax and not 25-30%, and most have free basic medical insurance (which is reasonably good, btw).
People here have no clue how others in the world live. They are programmed to believe certain things and that's it. It is funny because the things that used to be true about Soviet Union (like FORCED indoctrination) are actually very alive and well right here, only the indoctrination is much more intricate . Heck, most of the state I currently live in believes that everything is bigger and better here (for real), that anything resembling any attempt to fix the health care system is immediate communism, that Canada and France and the rest of Western Europe are indeed communist countries and that you need to wait 9 months there to get a heart surgery (and most people apparently die waiting), there is no global warming, oil and gas are infinite, you ABSOLUTELY need to thank EVERY soldier for protecting your freedom (even when they go into a far away land on false pretenses and cause widespread destruction and death) and the UN is out there to get us. Good riddance

Old 08-05-2015, 11:51 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,990,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
The major problem will be half-azzed preppers, who will be just prepared enough to get out early enough and far enough--and be well-armed enough--to be a danger to those the truly prepared communities.
I also see a lot of "preppers" advocating an area based on what they see as positives. They focus on their fantasy of survival that they failed the most basic job of a real prepper and that is to properly research an area. Many of those areas may have H-c/m's that they didn't even care to look for, let alone analyse it's potential threat to their plans. So in reality, their prepping was nothing but a romance novel.

All over the USA are hundreds of thousands of hazardous sites from Superfund sites to a pesticide storage; from a university lab full of infected insects to a tanker cars in a yard loaded with chlorine and ammonia; from a dam that is standing due to control releases to a upstream waste treatment plant near capacity. Most are not hazardous to the public at this time because they are in operation where Hazardous containment and mitigation is required and ongoing. But what happens in a SHTF scenario when those steps cease to operate? Bet many of those "prepared" preppers never bothered to do that basic research.

Everyplace looks good when someone is wearing rose colored glasses, but I wonder what they will see when they take them off and actually look around?

Old 08-06-2015, 04:18 AM

228 posts, read 171,548 times
Quote:
All over the USA are hundreds of thousands of hazardous sites from Superfund sites to a pesticide storage; from a university lab full of infected insects to a tanker cars in a yard loaded with chlorine and ammonia; from a dam that is standing due to control releases to a upstream waste treatment plant near capacity. Most are not hazardous to the public at this time because they are in operation where Hazardous containment and mitigation is required and ongoing. But what happens in a SHTF scenario when those steps cease to operate? Bet many of those "prepared" preppers never bothered to do that basic research.

Everyplace looks good when someone is wearing rose colored glasses, but I wonder what they will see when they take them off and actually look around?
BINGO! I'd hazard a guess that a lot of preppers are also living in/native to these places they advocate as their utopian escape. They are subjective; they are camping and hunting enthusiasts who think that because they personally enjoy these things, they will be ahead of everyone else with their skills and preparations when the mythical **** hits the proverbial Fan. But I don't think they're very good at observing the big picture.

Old 08-06-2015, 07:38 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,601,055 times
Quote:
I also see a lot of "preppers" advocating an area based on what they see as positives. They focus on their fantasy of survival that they failed the most basic job of a real prepper and that is to properly research an area. Many of those areas may have H-c/m's that they didn't even care to look for, let alone analyse it's potential threat to their plans. So in reality, their prepping was nothing but a romance novel.

I bet that you know the best places since you're a professional survival consultant, or have claimed that you are. How's business?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderingaboutstuff View Post
BINGO! I'd hazard a guess that a lot of preppers are also living in/native to these places they advocate as their utopian escape. They are subjective; they are camping and hunting enthusiasts who think that because they personally enjoy these things, they will be ahead of everyone else with their skills and preparations when the mythical **** hits the proverbial Fan. But I don't think they're very good at observing the big picture.
You, however, know the truth which you illustrated in a recent post on the Obama happy birthday thread (now closed).

Quote:
Obama's a pretty cool president. Happy Birthday Prez!

Old 08-06-2015, 08:37 AM

37,464 posts, read 61,388,499 times
Quote:

A large issue I have seen is when people stay where they were raised, and will insist that is the 'best' place to be. Normalcy bias; I get it a lot from my siblings and high school classmates.

If you move around a lot, live in different regions, and explore, it can open your eyes to greater possibilities.

The ability to live off-grid long-term today is critical, before you consider post-SHTF.

In a post-SHTF scenario living will be 10X worse, if you chose a place where off-grid living is not possible now.

100% of our population can not grow their own food, fuel, fiber. But you can, I can, anyone who wants to do it can do it. The difference is that very few want to.

Old 08-06-2015, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
A large issue I have seen is when people stay where they were raised, and will insist that is the 'best' place to be. Normalcy bias; I get it a lot from my siblings and high school classmates.

If you move around a lot, live in different regions, and explore, it can open your eyes to greater possibilities.

The ability to live off-grid long-term today is critical, before you consider post-SHTF.

In a post-SHTF scenario living will be 10X worse, if you chose a place where off-grid living is not possible now.

100% of our population can not grow their own food, fuel, fiber. But you can, I can, anyone who wants to do it can do it. The difference is that very few want to.
Instead of "prepping" for a one in a lifetime event that may or may not happen, most people would do much better to remove the long-term slow killers - the chemically tainted food sold in grocery stores, for example. Or the stress of a daily commute to a cubicle where you spend 8-12 hours sitting in a chair. Or the dirty energy being sold to you at ever-rising prices. Take care of those day-to-day things and then worry about the remote possibilities.

As for traveling the world or the country to open your eyes, I could not agree more. I have found that some states are worse than others in this respect. People in Texas, for example, think Texas is the center of the world, everything is bigger and better in Texas their schools are the best in the world, so on and so on. When you dig deeper, you realize that the vast majority of these people never left Houston or Dallas or whatever place they are from.

My $.02

Old 08-06-2015, 10:25 AM

6,756 posts, read 8,579,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post

The other side of the coin, especially in harsh environments, is that you know what to expect and how to live in that environment.

You will never see me promote Montana as an easy place to live or survive, especially in a SHTF scenario because I know what it's like.

I was a squid too, (surface), and I got to see a good portion of this globe. I know what my limits are and what I can live with, and while not an easy place to live, I know where to go for food and water and shelter here. I know how to live through arctic blasts and heat waves. I know the plants and animals from a lifetime of living here and surviving here.

I know there are easier places to live, and tougher places too, but I know what to expect and plan for here.
I'd have to start from scratch someplace else which could mean years of learning curve, which I may or may not have.

I don't have any problem with someone wishing to find a better place, I know that there are many places that if I'd washed up there I could do fine there, but I don't have a need to go anywhere else at this time, and some places I've been, I would no question be looking for something else.

No perfect place exists, just the place that works for you as an individual.

Old 08-06-2015, 10:26 AM

5,406 posts, read 3,601,746 times
the one with the lowest number of people post SHTF.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness