Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the best State to live in when the SHTF?
Wyoming 6 4.48%
Montana 12 8.96%
North Dakota 1 0.75%
South Dakota 1 0.75%
New Mexico 2 1.49%
Idaho 6 4.48%
Nebraska 3 2.24%
Nevada 3 2.24%
Utah 1 0.75%
Kansas 2 1.49%
Oregon 5 3.73%
Maine 5 3.73%
Colorado 2 1.49%
Iowa 2 1.49%
Oklahoma 2 1.49%
Arkansas 3 2.24%
Arizona 1 0.75%
Mississippi 1 0.75%
Vermont 1 0.75%
Minnesota 3 2.24%
West Virginia 2 1.49%
Missouri 6 4.48%
Alabama 4 2.99%
Texas 9 6.72%
Washington 2 1.49%
Wisconsin 2 1.49%
Louisiana 0 0%
Kentucky 2 1.49%
New Hampshire 4 2.99%
Tennessee 3 2.24%
South Carolina 0 0%
Georgia 4 2.99%
Michigan 2 1.49%
Indiana 0 0%
North Carolina 4 2.99%
Virginia 2 1.49%
Illinois 1 0.75%
California 11 8.21%
Ohio 1 0.75%
Pennsylvania 3 2.24%
Florida 5 3.73%
New York 1 0.75%
Delaware 0 0%
Maryland 0 0%
Connecticut 0 0%
Massachusetts 2 1.49%
Rhode Island 0 0%
New Jersey 2 1.49%
Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2015, 06:27 AM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonest View Post
people with nothing BUT experience in foraging (the Indians) thought that winter SUCKED, cause so many died of the cold, lack of food, etc
You have spoken with indigenous people 200 years ago ! ! !

Must be nice to have such a time travel machine.

Though it makes me curious where you are talking about. In my region there are schools that teach survival skills. We have 'Guides'; these are certified and bonded guides who take hunting, fishing, sight-seeing parties into the woods. They house and feed the party for the duration of the trip. To be certified they must show they are capable of doing all of this via forage.

I suspect that whoever you spoke with 200 years ago, may have given you bad advice.

Today a person can survive from foraging. It might not be possible way up North, I am in Maine, down here we are South enough that is certainly is possible.

How far North are you? Are well within the Arctic Circle?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2015, 06:38 AM

2,878 posts, read 4,629,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Today a person can survive from foraging. It might not be possible way up North, I am in Maine, down here we are South enough that is certainly is possible.

How far North are you? Are well within the Arctic Circle?
Even if everyone was an expert forager, there is not enough forage to sustain even a few % of the population. There is a reason why there were not so many Native people on the land, they were harshly regulated by Mother Nature. In a real SHTF scenario where there are food shortages and an indefinite food delivery system breakdown, most edible animals will be shot up pretty quickly - the foraging would be one of the only ways to survive (another is growing food but how many can do that?).

Old 08-02-2015, 06:57 AM

228 posts, read 171,345 times
Seriously, though. STILL no one sees the potential with Florida? I'd imagine it's as easy to hide out on a boat as it is in a forest.

Old 08-02-2015, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by armourereric View Post
We have ample solar and wind power both industrial and residential.
Exactly what i was saying about Florida...imagine having a solar powered cottage somewhere on an island, how much power you could accumulate in the cells. You'd have your A/C (wouldnt need anyway surrounded with water to cool off) and refrigeration, and plentiful year-round seafood and even wildlife.

Old 08-02-2015, 07:09 AM

4,530 posts, read 8,861,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brrabbit View Post
How many farmers have machine guns, artillery and tanks?
And how many of the troops in our U.S. Military will obey the order to fire on U.S. civilians?

Old 08-02-2015, 07:19 AM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ognend View Post
Even if everyone was an expert forager, there is not enough forage to sustain even a few % of the population.
I agree.

Currently in my region, maybe 1 out of 1,000 is a guide. I happen to know 6 of them, but given that I live remote in the woods, maybe that is reasonable.

If you are doing it, than you can do it.

Obviously you will never get a high percentage of people to go through the training.

Nobody said that everyone can forage. If you personally wanted to forage, you could learn, and then you could forage to feed yourself.

I live on former tribal land. I know a few dozen tribe members, all of them can forage. They were taught that lifestyle.

Quote:
... There is a reason why there were not so many Native people on the land, they were harshly regulated by Mother Nature.
Neither of us know what 'regulations' existed before European colonialists arrived. I have heard many times that the native population was very high here.

The only 'harsh' thing I have heard of has been what European settlers did after they arrived.

Quote:
... In a real SHTF scenario where there are food shortages and an indefinite food delivery system breakdown,
I agree.

Quote:
... most edible animals will be shot up pretty quickly
Is there such a thing as an 'inedible' animal?

Quote:
... the foraging would be one of the only ways to survive (another is growing food but how many can do that?).
The question is not how many people can do it. The big question is how many people are doing it.

A seedbank of 1Million seeds sitting in a box, in a closet, does not equal a farm.

There are many learning curves that must be pushed through in the process. I am 9 years into that process now.

Old 08-02-2015, 07:31 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,482,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
And how many of the troops in our U.S. Military will obey the order to fire on U.S. civilians?
Good point about the US military.

Problem starts, when they begin bringing in UN troops. They have no such qualms.

Old 08-02-2015, 07:41 AM

[quote=brrabbit;40659290]Frozen water is still water, one can melt and drink it. Rabbits and squirrels can provide you some additional food if you know how to trap them,as well as fish if you know how to catch it. /QUOTE]

Wait, how are you going to catch fish when your freshwater sources are frozen? Break through inches of snow to get at them? Like Eskimos? This seems like so much constant, laborious, miserable, exhausting work.

Old 08-02-2015, 07:53 AM

962 posts, read 630,552 times
Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, or Minnesota would probably be nice, and besides, the former three have mostly rural cities with few disturbances.

Old 08-02-2015, 07:57 AM

Quote:
And I'd say that it's better to have a winter and shelter and water and hideout and forest (in my mind), than scorching sun and nothing but dust of a desert.
Because there are only the two extremes? In the whole U.S. I only know of a few places that would qualify as a dusty desert: areas of southern California, and the southwest region with parts of Texas, Arizona and New Mexico.

Quote:
As far as comparing to Minnesota to some milder climates like Georgia, I'd think that nearness to the border and less population is probably better than staying in the middle of USA where everybody might run for survival.
Because they won't all be running to the less populated states and the border, creating problems there too? And if you try to get across the border, what about the response by the members of a stable country bordering an unstable one? the phrase "illegal aliens" mean anything to you? You really think we don't deport a good amount of people who risked their lives to get here or that their journey is easy in the new country?

No, you're better staying put and avoiding that drama.

Quote:
And besides, everybody knows that zombies freeze and dead bodies don't create epidemies in freezing temperatures, that's one good reason to love snow.
LOL!!!! Dead bodies only create epidemics where there is bad hygiene. Cold weather also is associated with colds and flus, and a reduction in the immune system will affect your ability to collect resources and remain alert.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness