Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2015, 09:49 AM

5,406 posts, read 3,597,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
I can only imagine the number of human corpses that will end up or leak into water sources.
wouldn't worry, they'll mostly be in the cities anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2015, 09:52 AM

1,078 posts, read 1,272,145 times
Default This works for flies

» simple living :: make your own sticky fly paper

I have a bedside toilet I used when my mother was bedridden. I kept it and it has come in handy for hurricanes and camping. It collapses into a neat little packet when not in use. I bought the luxury model - it has a toilet tissue holder on one leg!

Any surface water I would automatically filter and boil.

Since I originally lived in the country (before the country moved away), my food and any supplies that critters would love are stored in metal cans. The tops are secured with bungee cords. I learned the hard way that plastic is considered a good material to sharpen critter teeth and raccoons love to remove lids just to see what is inside.

Old 08-10-2015, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countrysue View Post

Since I originally lived in the country (before the country moved away)
I did it the other way, spent most of my life in a (small) city then moved out to the countryside about 16 years ago, although I got out of the city into the surrounding countryside at every opportunity.

Old 08-10-2015, 10:26 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,483,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countrysue View Post
I have a bedside toilet I used when my mother was bedridden. I kept it and it has come in handy for hurricanes and camping.
After my mom passed (16 years ago), I was going through all her effects and found quite a number of items, like the commode you mentioned, and decided not to donate them. They were all practically new, so I kept them, cleaned 'em up, and now we have them in case any of us needs these items. I don't think the cost has gone down any! And as you say, they come in handy for camping and other non-medical usage!

Old 08-10-2015, 07:00 PM

3,121 posts, read 2,064,662 times
The bedside commode is a good idea. We don't want to turn part of our home into a nursing home, but at age 60+ we thought it time to start looking into ideas to extend our self-sufficiency in case of advancing age-related issues. The days of feeling invincible are slipping away.

The idea for longer term storage in canning jars instead of 5 gal buckets was a good one because it's much easier for my wife to handle. She doesn't want anything that she couldn't handle easily on her own.

Any more ideas for easing the demands of the self-sufficient lifestyle for older people?

Old 08-10-2015, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
Any more ideas for easing the demands of the self-sufficient lifestyle for older people?
Maybe we should marry the SS&P and Retirement forums!

Seriously, though, a great many of our regular posters in SS&P tend to be more mature folks. Do you figure our life experiences affect our thinking in this regard? Nahhh...couldn't be!

Old 08-10-2015, 09:46 PM

7,322 posts, read 6,920,840 times
I resemble that remark .

Old 08-11-2015, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
I resemble that remark .
Yes...I could have sworn there was a resemblance...

Old 08-11-2015, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post

Seriously, though, a great many of our regular posters in SS&P tend to be more mature folks. Do you figure our life experiences affect our thinking in this regard? Nahhh...couldn't be!
yes, of course it does, I have lost count of the times trying to tell younger folk about something and they just don't get it because they haven't had the benefit of a lifetimes experience.

Old 08-11-2015, 07:46 AM

6,756 posts, read 8,575,024 times
Having responsibilities also plays a role.

When you're young and immortal, no ties, no worries, you don't have to provide for a family, you have some slack.

Once you have a wife, kids, your parent's start to age, you are responsible for running a business, suddenly you see how easy it is to lose it or for something to impact you and your family.

So you start looking to the future and ways to protect what you care about whether through investing, saving, starting to stock some extra canned goods, perhaps buying some gold or silver, a generator, etc.

It's a process.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness