Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2015, 06:15 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,671,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
because that is what EMP's do. the fact that you don't believe it is neither here nor there. oh dear another one relying on "the authorities".
Starfish Prime wiped out 1/3 of the LEO satellites. You can count on your GPS going down. It also burned out street lights and set off burglar alarms. It did not disrupt radio or TV broadcasts. It did not burn out any transformers. You do understand that what you see on the SciFi channel is not real, don't you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2015, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
OK, I tried to read every one of the previous posts now my lip is chewed to ribbons so I have to offer some comments. While I do not claim to be an expert I do have almost 25yrs experience in the Electric Utility Generation and Transmission industry. I can guarantee you the interconnected electrical grid in the USA is at risk. Both from Natural disaster as well as physical attack. .......... Sheesh I give up! Don't be ready, don't think it can't won't happen. I couldn't care less. Me and mine will be fine while some of you will be in the dark. 60k gallons of Diesel in a relatively hardened sight on a fresh water lake will make sure of that.......
The sun still comes up every day, and there's a decent moon about 2 weeks out of every month. Do you remember the story of all the horrors that happened in the sports stadium after Katrina? When the sun came up, it turned out none of them had happened. People were just afraid of the dark. You may have found a way to avoid your fears, but you have not been engaging reality.

Old 08-19-2015, 06:39 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,721,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
While it is true that power plant generators are not self-exciting, it doesn't take much of a generator to bring one big dynamo online, and after that, bringing the rest of the system online is straightforward.
Larry please allow me.....The very vast majority of big base load plants do not have "black start" capability. Meaning that they cannot "start" themselves without electricity. A 1000MW coal plant needs @ 15MWs of station power to start up and keep running. Grinders, elevators, car un-loaders, emissions control equipment, cooling systems, SCADA system all need electricity. 15 MWs of self exciting generator ( every generator I have seen is self exciting) will cost @1100 bucks a KW to install....Here are 2 examples of black start self-exciting gensets. The Cats are new and the Coopers were installed in 1975.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8uV2Lorc4k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UT_3XG79AvQ

Old 08-19-2015, 06:44 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,792,180 times
Quote:
Starfish Prime wiped out 1/3 of the LEO satellites. You can count on your GPS going down. It also burned out street lights and set off burglar alarms. It did not disrupt radio or TV broadcasts. It did not burn out any transformers. You do understand that what you see on the SciFi channel is not real, don't you?
And I would think they get better at hardening satellites as time goes on and the society becomes more dependent on GPS.

And I would think there are numerous small power plants all over the place that would recover quickly from any general problem. That provides the seed power to start up the rest...like Kodak in 1965

i also find a good bit of it silly. Where do preppers go for surgery? For Chemo? For an angioplasti. I have had at least 5 of these things over the last 30 years anyone of which would have been fatal.

How do lyou deal with illness particularly of the epidemic sort. You avoid the big kahuna to die two years later of cholera?

Old 08-19-2015, 07:00 PM

These might help some understand the complexity of the problem...Linda you may want to pay attention to slide 15 I believe..

http://gcep.stanford.edu/pdfs/2wh9Q1...ricGrid101.pdf

Then again this National Geo Special might be easier for some posters to understand....

Grid Failure - American Blackout Article - National Geographic Channel

Old 08-19-2015, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Larry please allow me.....The very vast majority of big base load plants do not have "black start" capability. Meaning that they cannot "start" themselves without electricity. A 1000MW coal plant needs @ 15MWs of station power to start up and keep running. Grinders, elevators, car un-loaders, emissions control equipment, cooling systems, SCADA system all need electricity. 15 MWs of self exciting generator ( every generator I have seen is self exciting) will cost @1100 bucks a KW to install....Here are 2 examples of black start self-exciting gensets. The Cats are new and the Coopers were installed in 1975.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8uV2Lorc4k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UT_3XG79AvQ
I wasn't thinking of coal or nuclear for a cold start. A hydro plant is much easier to start, since all you need is minimal excitation to allow one turbine to bootstrap, and at least one penstock can be operated manually for that purpose. Once Grand Coulee is up, it can light up the rest of the US. Get the lines back up and the power will be there. East Coast would be almost as simple, since one of the big nuclear Navy ships could backfeed the grid to get your smoke belchers back online.

Old 08-20-2015, 01:06 AM

5,403 posts, read 3,593,689 times
I see a lot of people still "don't get it", oh well, I really and sincerely wish you all the best of luck WTSHTF, and I will leave it at that

Old 08-20-2015, 01:23 AM

5,403 posts, read 3,593,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
Thanks...but nothin' new or unusual about that!

That's what the 'ignore' is for - so I can converse with others, without being distracted by nonsense!
yes, it seems I need to update my ignore list

Old 08-20-2015, 04:05 AM

Quote:
I wasn't thinking of coal or nuclear for a cold start. A hydro plant is much easier to start, since all you need is minimal excitation to allow one turbine to bootstrap, and at least one penstock can be operated manually for that purpose. Once Grand Coulee is up, it can light up the rest of the US. Get the lines back up and the power will be there. East Coast would be almost as simple, since one of the big nuclear Navy ships could backfeed the grid to get your smoke belchers back online.
Ok I can guarantee it won't work that way but you be happy thinking it will....BTW you know a couple of angry natives with a Barrett light 50 or even an AK if they got close enough, could shut that salmon killer for a year?.....That's what we worry about more then anything The sun is pretty low on the radar screen. Attack and Renewables are the big concern..........maybe you should have tried to read the links I sent earlier.

Last edited by my54ford; 08-20-2015 at 04:17 AM..

Old 08-20-2015, 06:19 AM

1,127 posts, read 1,274,283 times
Quote:
Ok I can guarantee it won't work that way but you be happy thinking it will....BTW you know a couple of angry natives with a Barrett light 50 or even an AK if they got close enough, could shut that salmon killer for a year?.....That's what we worry about more then anything The sun is pretty low on the radar screen. Attack and Renewables are the big concern..........maybe you should have tried to read the links I sent earlier.
For a lack of knowledge, my people perish....

A wise man foreseeth the evil, and hideth himself, but the simple pass on, and are punished...

You are dealing with some of the modern, attention-deficit-by-choice crowd. They will not read anything you offer,because it does not say what they want to hear. Like a lot of folks in DC and elsewhere these days...

Some folks will not understand the complexity of running modern infrastructure, any more than they will understand the compounded complexity of starting a cold system back up, because they refuse to consider the fragility of their current paradigm. They will still have their eyes screwed shut, their fingers in their ears, and shouting "lalalalalala" at the top of their lungs when the ride stops. They will likely keep on doing that, because the new reality won't suit them at all...

In so many words, you are wasting your time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness