Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2015, 05:58 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,623,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
everyone is entitled to their opinion, even you, even me. however I don't have a closed mind when it comes to possible events, I rule nothing out, unlike some. I don't for instance think the human race is "too big too fail", that is so presumptuous, too naïve, too cocky. I think we just have further to fall.
But you DO have a closed mind when it comes to the much more probable event that civilization in YOUR part of the world will continue much as it is now for centuries, barring the death of EVERYONE, which is completely impossible to prepare for, as well as pointless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2015, 07:29 AM

5,406 posts, read 3,601,746 times
no, I never said civilisation would continue in my part of the country, when I talk about "societal collapse" that means the end of civilisation as we know it, which is quite possible to prep for, just keep it simple.

Old 08-29-2015, 08:14 AM

2,878 posts, read 4,631,609 times
Quote:
no, I never said civilisation would continue in my part of the country, when I talk about "societal collapse" that means the end of civilisation as we know it, which is quite possible to prep for, just keep it simple.
This is where we fundamentally disagree, I suppose. If your countrymen are as you say in UK - waiting for handouts, entitled etc. - you will be eaten alive long before you finished your rations.

Old 08-29-2015, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ognend View Post
This is where we fundamentally disagree, I suppose. If your countrymen are as you say in UK - waiting for handouts, entitled etc. - you will be eaten alive long before you finished your rations.
if I still lived in a city I might agree with you, but I don't, so I wont. anyway "rations" as you put it aren't meant to last forever.

Old 08-29-2015, 08:44 AM

2,201 posts, read 1,876,001 times
If the grid goes down the worst case scenario appears to be two years. Vintage aircraft ( non-computer) could be the used for transatlantic flight to Germany for parts and Germany could deliver as well. The delays will be associated with the inability to travel roads clogged with vehicles not withstanding 18 wheelers . No pumping of gas ( hand pumps) . I don't know if early copters ( vintage) could deliver parts? When the grid is restored ( if ever as our poster warns). The e!ectric generator ( coal powered complexes are computerized as are hydro electric? I lack the necessary resources to conclude that we could survive as Americans are on a scale from 1-10 a .5 prepared to survive a long-term grid outage. Biggest problem? ..... no food !!!! then body removal ,incineration/burial of 90% of population after 1 year or sooner!

Old 08-29-2015, 09:53 AM

parts have to be manufactured before they can be delivered, if no power then how do you make parts without machinery? once the grid goes down that's it.

Old 08-29-2015, 01:11 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,623,096 times
Quote:
parts have to be manufactured before they can be delivered, if no power then how do you make parts without machinery? once the grid goes down that's it.
Are you expecting the grid to fail over 100% of the globe, taking down all solar cells, wind powered generators, coal, gas, and nuclear power plants, hydroelectric dams, rechargeable batteries, portable generators, and geothermal energy sources? How are you expecting anyone to survive this cataclysm?

If any of the above survive, heroic efforts will be made by all to leverage that equipment to rebuild the system.

A planet wide EMP large enough to permanently disable ALL of our electronics and power generational and distribution networks has an exceedingly high chance of being accompanied by other forces that will also make the Earth completely uninhabitable.

Old 08-30-2015, 01:19 AM

you are ignoring the loss of life that will ensue as soon as the power grid goes down, without electricity to pump gas, operate machinery, open elevator doors, cool refrigerated goods etc etc, to say nothing of no gas so no deliveries so no restocking the stores, once the shelves are empty that's it. i'm not really concerned how it happened, i'm talking about once its happened, could ordinary people cope? I somehow doubt it, people have lost the skills and knowledge our forebears had.

Old 08-30-2015, 01:22 AM

7,646 posts, read 9,950,661 times
I don't really care. We have a dam and a hydroelectric power plant and a coal plant not far away. I'm pretty sure we will get those online locally pretty quickly - doesn't matter who owns them. I'm reasonably sure an ad-hoc militia will form and take the plants by force if needed and hook them up to our own local grid.

The only issues would be if the govt used the Army to prevent the locals from taking them over. Which would probably be the case at least for some months unless everything fell apart. These sort of systems are were we will see battle fought.

As for myself, so long as we can fuel our generators, until they break down we are good. And I have a number of solar arrays pre-located. We will just go and take them. Also I just remembered we have a new small solar generation plant not far away.

Why would solar panels be affected by an EMP? Maybe electronic transformers and switching diodes will burn out. But there is no reason to expect the panel wiring to melt or break. The panels should survive.

Old 08-30-2015, 01:27 AM

your still assuming the entire population survives and that the knowledge is available and the machinery and enough electricity to make enough parts to repower the system. that's fine if it happens, but what if it dosent? have you an alternative plan B ??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness