Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2015, 01:16 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,377,574 times

Advertisements

While I'm still trying to figure out where the penine and the Taiga are located, all my grandparents homesteaded along with extended relatives in similar climates.

Several homesteads are still in the family other than the ones we tried to give back to the First Nations or auctioned.
Several stories and two books in other languages have been done about the early years.
Man, is my gene pool ever tough. No wonder all the Scand. blow past ninety with ease.

RESULT: YOU'RE JOKING, RIGHT? ALL OF MY cousins got as far away from that lifestyle as they could because it's a killer. And they'r a lot tougher than me. It was done because you had to; anyone actually thinking of living like that hasn't done it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2015, 02:24 PM

2,878 posts, read 4,632,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedwightguy View Post
While I'm still trying to figure out where the penine and the Taiga are located, all my grandparents homesteaded along with extended relatives in similar climates.

Several homesteads are still in the family other than the ones we tried to give back to the First Nations or auctioned.
Several stories and two books in other languages have been done about the early years.
Man, is my gene pool ever tough. No wonder all the Scand. blow past ninety with ease.

RESULT: YOU'RE JOKING, RIGHT? ALL OF MY cousins got as far away from that lifestyle as they could because it's a killer. And they'r a lot tougher than me. It was done because you had to; anyone actually thinking of living like that hasn't done it!
Yes, the Lyskovs' story is an extreme. So is sitting in air conditioning all day, spending your evenings on the couch eating the chemical laden crap that passes for food, burning fossil fuels without control, sitting in a cubicle all day, so on and so on. Extremes are usually bad, one way or another... Your ancestors "had" to live a lifestyle in order to survive. Many people today "have" to be wage slaves to afford a mortgage and a car and some chemical laden s*it that passes for nourishment. Better? Not so sure.

Old 08-23-2015, 02:56 PM

3,124 posts, read 2,069,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelpha View Post
In 1936 a Russian father took his wife and their two children into the Taiga wilderness, away from a harmful society they no longer agreed with.
This is misleading. They moved to the wilderness to escape persecution. They faced almost certain death. Had they stayed and managed to survive, they might have ended up in a labor camp or cramped into a tiny apartment with 2 or more other families and standing in breadlines for handouts, with starvation always knocking at their door and very possibly succeeding.

The mother may have died from starvation, but maybe not. She managed to avoid starvation for more than TWO DECADES, so there's that to consider.

When you can't remain forever undetected in Siberia in the 1970s (when they were discovered), your chances of accomplishing it in the US today are nil. You might have a few weeks at best.

Old 08-23-2015, 04:07 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,300,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
When you can't remain forever undetected in Siberia in the 1970s (when they were discovered), your chances of accomplishing it in the US today are nil. You might have a few weeks at best.
A man named Christopher Thomas Knight camped out in the woods of central Maine, undetected for 27 years! 1986-2013. He slept during the day and robbed cabins & camps at night for food & supplies he needed for minimal survival. He said winters were the hardest. He learned to go into deep meditation to survive the winters. He was finally caught stealing on camera.

GQ has an immersive article about him: http://www.gq.com/story/the-last-true-hermit

Old 08-23-2015, 06:42 PM

3,124 posts, read 2,069,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelpha View Post
A man named Christopher Thomas Knight camped out in the woods of central Maine, undetected for 27 years! 1986-2013. He slept during the day and robbed cabins & camps at night for food & supplies he needed for minimal survival. He said winters were the hardest. He learned to go into deep meditation to survive the winters. He was finally caught stealing on camera.

GQ has an immersive article about him: The Strange & Curious Tale of the Last True Hermit | GQ
I know about him. He wasn't self-sufficient. He was a thief depending on cabin owners to replenish food and supplies. Some of the locals were aware of a hermit living somewhere in the area.

Old 08-23-2015, 07:21 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,507,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
Depends on what your definition of quality of life is. Their definition was being able to worship in the way that they deemed fit.
It didn't take complete isolation to practice their faith.

Old 08-23-2015, 07:43 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,172,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
It didn't take complete isolation to practice their faith.
The Soviets persecuted religious people as atheism was the state religion. They were very serious about it prior to WWII when the family went into hiding.

There are some issues about the Japanese soldier as the islanders there believed he was aware that he wasn't alone and never tried to attack anyone. Still an impressive story.

So far the one that impresses me the most was about 10-15 years ago. A 60/70 year old man has his sailboat flip over in a storm. The bottom of the hull is floating above the water, but his radio is damaged and inoperable. He is out of the main shipping lanes, and after a few days no one is searching for him. He drifts for months drinking rain water and turtle blood while eating raw turtle meat. He eventually drifts within view of a U.S. Navy vessel, and he fights the people they send to rescue him. He later explains that he thought he was a ghost stuck on earth, and that they were other ghosts come to take him to Hell.

Old 08-24-2015, 12:34 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,164,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
There are some issues about the Japanese soldier as the islanders there believed he was aware that he wasn't alone and never tried to attack anyone. Still an impressive story.
He wasn't as noble as all that ..... he did steal crops and things left behind in the fields and storage structures, and even burned the crops occasionally and did some sabotage in the belief that he was helping the war effort. I think there were a few brief firefights with islander posses that tried to capture them. He even did one home invasion and held occupants at gunpoint, though I don't remember why or what happened.

Old 08-24-2015, 02:05 AM

5,406 posts, read 3,602,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
He wasn't as noble as all that ..... he did steal crops and things left behind in the fields and storage structures, and even burned the crops occasionally and did some sabotage in the belief that he was helping the war effort. I think there were a few brief firefights with islander posses that tried to capture them. He even did one home invasion and held occupants at gunpoint, though I don't remember why or what happened.
well he did believe he was still fighting WW2 although it had been over for many years.

Old 08-24-2015, 07:52 AM

3,368 posts, read 2,891,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
I'll put my money on renal failure caused by malnutrition rather than modern food stuffs. These people were living on the edge of death.
I thought it was settled in Russia that Lykovs died from exposure to viral infections, brought by geologists. Same way many Native Americans died when met white people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness