Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 02:07 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,207,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelpha View Post
Whenever I've daydreamed about suddenly becoming wealthy, I've thought through many details, including how I'd deal with an onslaught of friends and family who suddenly want to reconnect, haha.

I like one guy's method of coping after he won the lottery. He simply told no one. Not even his wife. They stayed married and life continued as usual. Wife had no idea that they had become millionaires, and it was for the best, in their case
You DO have the Love of money you just do not have the money otherwise you would not be wasting time daydreaming about money and details about how to use it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2015, 06:54 PM

1,774 posts, read 1,189,754 times
CCc girl -- Can I come to your party, too ?

Let's see ---What would I do ? Well, first, I would have requested my name not be published, and second, I would hire a financial manager and lawyer, and then get the lump-sum check.
I would buy an old house in [possibly] Prescott, AZ., walking distance to Washington School and the town square and hopefully the library and a grocery store, and church. Or maybe we will go for Evanston or Wilmette, IL. I am fond of Wilmette because it is a community that has preserved the largest number of brick streets in the Chicago area, and my great-uncle used to own an old-time grocery store there. Again, a walkable neighborhood in or near the historic district and public transportation, and the beach and park.

Some money would go to some public works projects -- possibly Arbor Day projects with re-planting of trees in older neighborhoods. Also, some funding of public bus shelters to protect riders from rain and hot sun -- also in the close-in neighborhoods. I'd also like to get involved with helping Boy Scout/Girl Scout troops start-up fund-raisers of purchasing American flags and sleeves and getting the home-owners to pay a yearly fee to have their flags put up and taken down on holidays [this is common in certain parts of the country]. I like to see our American flag flown!

Also on the agenda, helping my grown children by providing $$ so they will be able to afford to reproduce and if it is their choice, to be a SAHM, something I did not have the opportunity to do. And since I would like a big old house, perhaps having a roommate or two, who may need a long-term home. Oh, before I forget, I would hire a skilled handyman to build some built-in bookshelves and window seats in my house.

Travelwise -- I would like to return to Eureka Springs, AR, since I have not been there since the '60s, and stay a few days at the Grand Hotel on Mackinac Island, take a road trip around PA visiting older amusement parks and historic bridges, and museums. Overseas, I'd like to see the British Isles, Nice, and Paris. But if I do not make it there, I'll still be happy. Oh, and CCc girl, if I can, I will tag along with you on the QE II trip.

Old 10-07-2015, 07:31 PM

3,238 posts, read 3,536,910 times
Many winners are using trusts to get around the requirement that lottery winners names be made public. [If it weren't a requirement, then the lottery could potentially declare anyone a winner, whether they did win or not]

Old 10-07-2015, 08:00 PM

11,049 posts, read 24,011,610 times
It would be fun to buy a big chunk of ocean front land here in town and build a swimming pool complex on it for the town folks. The kind of swimming pool that resorts have and folks that live here in town only get to work at and not play in. Water slides, waterfalls, grottos, swim up snack areas, sand entries, etc., etc.

Building sidewalks throughout town would be nice, too.

Set up a nice walkable community that as the houses in the community sold, they'd finance the growth of the community or spawn more like themselves so it could continue after the seed money ran out. Integrated zoning with big houses, little houses, duplexes, small businesses, shops, parks, playgrounds, schools, etc. were all close enough to walk to and with sidewalks and such to encourage folks to interact and visit with each other. Hmm, the street the houses faced would be for people and bicycles and golf carts - slow traffic. Each house would have a nice front porch and the front lawn would be short enough that you'd be able to sit on the porch and talk to the folks walking by if you wanted to, but far enough that you wouldn't have to if you didn't want to. Then big back yards with garden areas and the garages in the back. There would be an auto street in the back, but it would be pretty narrow so folks couldn't go quickly. Two streets of houses like this and then a row of shops, then two more rows of houses, etc. Maybe all around a center park area which is circled by a row of shops. Hmm, it would take a bit of work to get it scaled right so folks could easily walk places.

I'd probably set up a nice house with a big garden off to the side of this nice community and save a million or two to play with and go on vacations and such.

Old 10-07-2015, 08:44 PM

4,195 posts, read 4,448,063 times
My plan
What would you do if you won the lottery?

Old 10-07-2015, 08:46 PM

7,020 posts, read 4,885,827 times
Well, it wouldn't be 310 million. After taxes, more like 150 million. I'd take it, though.

So first, I'd buy a couple hundred acres and put a small house and a large pool on it. And have the land fenced. That would take care of a bunch of money.

Then I would make a list of friends I would like to give a hundred thousand or so to. Unfortunately, it wouldn't be a long list.

I might cash out a lot of money and get some gold and silver and bury it all on my property somewhere, just in case.

I'd indulge my hobbies: collecting model horses, porcelain collies, and dollhouses. I'd be like one of those super sellers on eBay, except I'd be a buyer instead of a seller. And I'd buy books, tons and tons of books. I would only like a small house, but it would probably have to have one large room as a library. And I'd have magazine subscriptions to about 50 magazines.

I would get a couple dogs and a few cats, maybe have some parakeets. I'd be spending my days working in my garden, training the dogs and going to dog shows, building my dollhouses, taking a class or two at a local college, and spending nights looking for galaxies with my telescope or doing ghost hunts. And reading, of course.

And I would like to start something like Habitat for Humanity, except I would try to do something for people who aren't physically able to help build their own houses.

I'd try and get enough money invested to live off the interest comfortably, then look around for some charities to give to. Maybe ones that help pay people's utility bills or their car payments.

Old 10-07-2015, 08:54 PM

4,505 posts, read 6,479,120 times
It wouldn't be 150 million...more like 100 if you took the cash and was the sole winner.

Old 10-07-2015, 09:49 PM

10,113 posts, read 19,392,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelpha View Post
I would buy many acres of arable land in a Mediterranean climate, build several comfortable self-sustaining "Earth Homes," and welcome a few like-minded people to join me as we live off the grid. We would work our farm, feed ourselves. We'd have hydrogen-powered vehicles and make the fuel ourselves.

In short, I would build my own vision of how I wish the world would be and easily could be if people would shift their efforts away from greedy, endless capitalism, and toward health, happiness, and sustainable living.

Sorry, you'd need more than 310 mil for that

Old 10-07-2015, 09:56 PM

10,113 posts, read 19,392,592 times
I've got it all figured--

First, I would find the best tax attorney I could to determine how much I get to keep!

Then, I would donate 10% of the balance to a church, or charitable organizations----Give unto Caesar that which is Caesar's, and unto God that which is God's. Now, I'm in the clear.

Next, I would pay off my Visa Card---there goes the balance I would pay off all my debts, and all my relatives' debts.

Get an excellent money manager

Buy my own long-term care facility so I could have my own private room

Donate the rest to my cats

Old 10-07-2015, 10:01 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,300,500 times
I'd buy the largest most remote property I could find. I'd then build a town and declare myself king, but invite no one to live there. I'd buy an airplane, snow machines, quads and a side by side, a new truck and a few other toys. I'd set aside $10 million for future living expenses.

I'd then give some select friends and family members $1 million each, making sure others got nothing, then donate the rest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness