Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2018, 06:16 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,601,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyram View Post
Well, yes it happened....just not modern day. Should another Carrington Event like the one that occurred in 1859 happen it will create a SHTF scenario....one in which your investment portfolio won't mean s*&t. On the bright side, if you have hard copies of all your portfolio statements you will have them to read to remind you that you once had some paper profits and you can you can use the statements to burn and keep warm.
That was really a big one, wasn't it?

Your life will not change. You will not become one of a new ruling class. Wishing won't help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2018, 07:31 PM

3,680 posts, read 2,965,446 times
Quote:
Me: opens mouth in amazement, plans on responding to bolded part, realizes said bolded part must be the thought of an insane person, chooses not to address it.

Now, quite possibly the poster is being entirely sarcastic in which case, I salute them.
Laughter is the best medicine. Plus I like to mess with Ingsoc's AI algorithms once in a while. It will be some time before bots can recognize "humor".

Old 09-30-2018, 07:31 PM

1,433 posts, read 1,062,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
That was really a big one, wasn't it?

Your life will not change. You will not become one of a new ruling class. Wishing won't help.

^^^^^

Old 09-30-2018, 07:42 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,557,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneDawg View Post
Maintain humanity under 500,000,000 in perpetual balance with nature.
Humanity was under 500,000,000 roughly five centuries ago when the age of exploration began. I wonder if there is an implicit condemnation of Europes place in world history? As the monument was almost certainly financed by people of European descent, it might be a warning that we entered a new age when European banknotes appeared in 1661 in Sweden.

Old 09-30-2018, 09:32 PM

10,098 posts, read 4,087,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post

Nobody knows what will happen and what the best commodity to have invested in will prove to be.
LAND???

I worked for this millionaire out of high school who owned a janitorial business - big accounts, big money. His right hand man was an old timer and he told me once, all Steve (the aforementioned owner) did with all his money was buy land. I always thought that was interesting since I heard it back then when I was about 19 years old.

They aren't making anymore of it, as a financial adviser once told me.

Give me a nice chunk of land somewhere up north in the middle of nowhere to be left alone to tend my crops, fish, and poach deer, and I think I could make it work.

Old 09-30-2018, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
LAND???

Give me a nice chunk of land somewhere up north in the middle of nowhere to be left alone to tend my crops, fish, and poach deer, and I think I could make it work.
Thieves can make nothing work.

Old 09-30-2018, 09:56 PM

10,098 posts, read 4,087,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Thieves can make nothing work.
If the government is in a state of anarchy, the laws are gone will mean nothing.

I'm talking about IF THERE IS NOT FOOD SITUATION. I am not talking under the current system - I'm talking about if/when the government is basically useless.

By the way, I have never hunted in my life. Though there are poachers everywhere up by my aunt's land by Canada and they do it without regard, regularly up there. You can't even walk out to the mailbox without a orange suit on.

Old 10-01-2018, 06:08 AM

1,459 posts, read 1,402,249 times
Quote:
Well, yes it happened....just not modern day. Should another Carrington Event like the one that occurred in 1859 happen it will create a SHTF scenario....one in which your investment portfolio won't mean s*&t. On the bright side, if you have hard copies of all your portfolio statements you will have them to read to remind you that you once had some paper profits and you can you can use the statements to burn and keep warm.
Don't forget the Maunder Minimum.....when it was so cold the Mississippi River froze over. When your money coukdnt buy a stick of wood to burn.

Old 10-01-2018, 09:13 AM

3,680 posts, read 2,965,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
LAND???

I worked for this millionaire out of high school who owned a janitorial business - big accounts, big money. His right hand man was an old timer and he told me once, all Steve (the aforementioned owner) did with all his money was buy land. I always thought that was interesting since I heard it back then when I was about 19 years old.

They aren't making anymore of it, as a financial adviser once told me.

Land up north to tend crops?

What if a meteor, or comet or volcanic eruption or bombs, throw up so much dust and debris that the suns rays don't penetrate efficiently? A new ice age is born and crops fail - especially up north.

Almost no fuel either. What do you tend crops with?

If the population is severely reduced, possible in many/most scenarios, land automatically is reduced in value.

I'm not aware of a bullet proof plan that doesn't involve living underground with vast resources stashed away.

One can bet the military has invested considerable resources into post apocalyptic scenarios. Here is one of dozens of films on the subject:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcNmcw76H0w

Old 10-01-2018, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post
Land up north to tend crops?

What if a meteor, or comet or volcanic eruption or bombs, throw up so much dust and debris that the suns rays don't penetrate efficiently? A new ice age is born and crops fail - especially up north.

Almost no fuel either. What do you tend crops with?

If the population is severely reduced, possible in many/most scenarios, land automatically is reduced in value.

I'm not aware of a bullet proof plan that doesn't involve living underground with vast resources stashed away.

One can bet the military has invested considerable resources into post apocalyptic scenarios. Here is one of dozens of films on the subject:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcNmcw76H0w
Have you ever heard of the eruption and subsequent explosion of Mt. Krakatoa? Civilization never stumbled.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1883_e...limactic_phase
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness