Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2015, 10:47 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,041,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
The history buffs among us certainly know that civilizations rise and fall; empires come and go. I recently read of a group of monks who escaped to a remote island off the coast of Ireland in the 5th century A.D. and set up a monastery, bringing along a great number of books that would otherwise have been lost, after the fall of the Roman Empire:

They Fled Also After the Fall of Rome | Armstrong Economics

And over a year ago, I learned of the Svalbard Global Seed Vault on the Norwegian island of Spitsbergen:

https://www.regjeringen.no/en/topics...ault/id462220/

If something catastrophic were to happen to our world as we know it today, what would you feel was important to save, so that it might be replaceable when society was rebuilt? And where would you place it, for safe-keeping? I think I would like to save a lot of old hard-copy photographs, and movies of life as we know it now, and as our parents and grandparents knew it. I'd seal them in a time capsule at the corner of a small building I plan to construct myself, of concrete blocks. I'm pretty sure it would survive most events.
There is nothing to "save" or "conserve". By the natural forces of evolution and regeneration of life, everything will be rebuilt organically and the next iteration of human life or whatever replaces it, will not need our memorabilia in order to build, and live, and die.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2015, 01:26 PM

2,878 posts, read 4,632,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
I never said anything about hiding in bunkers, what do you think air raid shelters are except glorified bunkers?
people may think technology is great but what do you do when you need a plumber, an electrician, a builder, a roof tiler, someone to clean out the sewers, maintain the roads, fix the 1001 other things people don't do these days, your modern life would soon go down the pan if people no longer want to do these occupations, and most don't, they want to be in IT, make computer games, or be models or just be "celebrities"-famous for being famous!
I see the worst because I have my eyes open and can see the downside whereas everyone else dosent seem to be able to see past the end of their noses( with 1 or 2 noteable exceptions).
the world would be a boring old place if we all thought the same, wouldn't it?
In not so distant future machines will do most of the tasks you listed.

Just 50 years ago you could have also added the blacksmith to the list. Back then they were everywhere. Today? Not so much. People 3D print stuff these days at home (just as an example). Not many people miss the blacksmith these days and the civilization did not end.

You see the worst because you want to. It suits you to whine about the dirty migrants running around Europe but when the Brits were running around conquering and exploiting whole continents, that was OK. It was also OK to live off the colonies for decades after they were plundered.

Old 12-26-2015, 03:50 PM

446 posts, read 709,489 times
Cats.

Old 12-26-2015, 04:03 PM

37,467 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS35a View Post
Cats.
And BBQ sauce

Old 12-26-2015, 04:21 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,602,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ognend View Post
In not so distant future machines will do most of the tasks you listed.

Just 50 years ago you could have also added the blacksmith to the list. Back then they were everywhere. Today? Not so much. People 3D print stuff these days at home (just as an example). Not many people miss the blacksmith these days and the civilization did not end.

You see the worst because you want to. It suits you to whine about the dirty migrants running around Europe but when the Brits were running around conquering and exploiting whole continents, that was OK. It was also OK to live off the colonies for decades after they were plundered.
I doubt that he has ever benefited from the British colonial empire. Therefore, you must believe that the ''sins'' of one generation should be expiated by a later generation. How biblical!

The old British colonies are ''free'' today. Why do you suppose that those ''free'' souls are so anxious to move to the country of their oppressors?

Old 12-26-2015, 05:36 PM

2,878 posts, read 4,632,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I doubt that he has ever benefited from the British colonial empire. Therefore, you must believe that the ''sins'' of one generation should be expiated by a later generation. How biblical!

The old British colonies are ''free'' today. Why do you suppose that those ''free'' souls are so anxious to move to the country of their oppressors?
The wealth amassed during colonial times and the decades of involvement afterwards (to this day) have benefited everyone in the "Kingdom", directly or indirectly.

Don't forget that before British came to Africa, the tribes there had no concept of borders or countries. It has been nigh impossible for them to just jump through centuries of time in decades.

Old 12-26-2015, 05:55 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,602,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ognend View Post
The wealth amassed during colonial times and the decades of involvement afterwards (to this day) have benefited everyone in the "Kingdom", directly or indirectly.

Don't forget that before British came to Africa, the tribes there had no concept of borders or countries. It has been nigh impossible for them to just jump through centuries of time in decades.
They certainly did. There were kingdoms and even empires in Darkest Africa. Savages do wish to enrich themselves. Slaves, land, cattle, and the simple lust for power were their motivations. Look at the African president of this country. He wishes unrestrained power. He loves knowing that he can order murders with no fear of reprisal.

Old 12-26-2015, 06:25 PM

1,720 posts, read 1,304,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS35a View Post
Cats.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
And BBQ sauce
LOL! You mean cats flavored w BBQ?

I've lived with cats most of my life (45 years) and over the past few years I've finally come to understand how parasitic and useless they are. They pretty much just eat, drink, pee, crap, and lie around without contributing anything. I have two old cats, and most of the time I look at them and think, 'What the eff did I ever see in these things?'

Old 12-26-2015, 06:57 PM

1,217 posts, read 2,836,184 times
I've wondered why humans don't have some of the same embedded memory that other animals do. Birds that fly south without ever being shown the way, etc. Humans have a few genetic memories designed to keep us alive but why don't we remember more things from one generation to the next?

Why do we have to learn to read if generations before us knew how to read? Perhaps someday we'll have implants at birth so we get up to speed on these basic "knowledge" concepts. History would be hard to implant because it is so easy to manipulate from one generation to another. If you grew up in one country all memory of the Holocaust would disappear, in another country they would know nothing of the Byzantine or Chinese Empires of the past.

Yes much knowledge has been lost when plagues killed off millions or empires are overturned. The inventor of the microscope was killed by French rabble during that revolution. Who knows what other inventions he might have created.

Maybe the aliens keep us trapped in "Groundhog Day" forever because we are just too violent to handle all the knowledge we have created in our time on the planet. Imagine if if got into the wrong hands. Ka-boom. Oh wait, that's already possible.

Gotta go read another James Patton-esque novel and try and forget all this negative stuff…..

Old 12-26-2015, 07:49 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,041,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanapolicRiddle View Post
LOL! You mean cats flavored w BBQ?

I've lived with cats most of my life (45 years) and over the past few years I've finally come to understand how parasitic and useless they are. They pretty much just eat, drink, pee, crap, and lie around without contributing anything. I have two old cats, and most of the time I look at them and think, 'What the eff did I ever see in these things?'
I wonder if they think the same of you? And if so, are they correct?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness