Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2016, 07:36 PM

2,080 posts, read 3,902,709 times

Advertisements

I'm pretty a self sufficient person; I do all of my own home improvements, car maintenance, handle all of the investment/retirement stuff etc. Are there things you just dont/wont/cant handle that you'll pay folks to do? I pay a guy to clean my chimney (25ft up- no way..) but i'll do just about anything else that I can- if I have the tools, etc. Knowledge and instruction is easy to come by- Youtube!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2016, 07:44 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,883,785 times
Clean house.

Old 01-17-2016, 03:04 AM

5,363 posts, read 3,540,288 times
car maintenance has to be done by a garage on modern cars, its not possible to have all the diagnostic computer systems in a domestic setting.

Old 01-17-2016, 08:04 AM

2,878 posts, read 4,610,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
car maintenance has to be done by a garage on modern cars, its not possible to have all the diagnostic computer systems in a domestic setting.
Do what we do - keep a new car and an old car. The old car is fun in its own way (tinker with it, so on and so on), new car is reliable, efficient on gas, comfortable and fun in its own way.

Old 01-17-2016, 08:15 AM

2,080 posts, read 3,902,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ognend View Post
Do what we do - keep a new car and an old car. The old car is fun in its own way (tinker with it, so on and so on), new car is reliable, efficient on gas, comfortable and fun in its own way.
There are still many things you can do on a new car. Tires, brakes, struts and most everything in between. Get a code reader and dive into some old fashioned troubleshooting!

Old 01-17-2016, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetto View Post
I'm pretty a self sufficient person; I do all of my own home improvements, car maintenance, handle all of the investment/retirement stuff etc. Are there things you just dont/wont/cant handle that you'll pay folks to do? I pay a guy to clean my chimney (25ft up- no way..) but i'll do just about anything else that I can- if I have the tools, etc. Knowledge and instruction is easy to come by- Youtube!
My definition:

1. Debt free (unless it is calculated debt where interest is so low that it makes more sense to invest the money into something that will generate more than the interest you are paying)
1a. Manage your own money/investments/retirement if you feel capable but do not forego paying for advice if it is going to make you money
2. Energy grid free (solar, wind, geo-thermal, pellet/wood stove, whatever)
3. Food self-sufficiency (grow as much as you can - I can grow all the veggies we eat and fruits too but cannot grow the grains like rice, buckwheat etc.) - also cook your food from your basic ingredients. Keeping bees is another good deal - you can grow where you are making money off it, you are helping the environment, you are helping your own garden with having pollinators available right nearby, the locally produced honey is the best and in some areas you can actually get an ag. exemption if you keep them.
4. Doesn't matter if you built your own house or not (it would be nice but if you are foregoing $50-100/hour of making money to build something that someone could have built for $20/hr, you are a fool)
5. Above all, be pragmatic and take one chunk of the story at a time. Do not over extend

I noticed you did not say prepping but you only mentioned self-sufficiency. Hence, I will not go into the prepping part of the equation.

The basic mistake people make on this path is end up wearing blinders - they become entrenched in their requirements and very rigid in their thinking - kind of like a religion. Try to be pragmatic, take the bits you feel comfortable doing or learn about what may interest you and start doing. Do not obsess and do not put artificial constraints. For example, we live(d) near a city, in a semi-rural area. We grow our own veggies and some fruits but we would still go out occasionally to a nice burger joint to eat something special, have a beer and just unwind. I don't "feel guilty" doing so. Finally, enjoy your path to self sufficiency, the journey is much more important .

I tell people to prep where they are. You can live a very self-sufficient life on a city lot.

Old 01-17-2016, 08:36 AM

301 posts, read 816,973 times
This is a bit silly and vain, but I don't cut my own hair lol! I make all my own cleaning supplies, cook exclusively from the basics, brew my own beer & make our wine, am learning bee-keeping, and I'm a darned good shot. But my hair I leave to a modestly priced pro. We humans are a funny lot!

Old 01-17-2016, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snootylooter View Post
This is a bit silly and vain, but I don't cut my own hair lol! I make all my own cleaning supplies, cook exclusively from the basics, brew my own beer & make our wine, am learning bee-keeping, and I'm a darned good shot. But my hair I leave to a modestly priced pro. We humans are a funny lot!
We do just the same and you are right - hair is left to a pro

For cleaning supplies I buy the Dr. Bronner's unscented liquid soap and mix it with essential oils. For hair washing I add coconut milk and some vitamin E. However, none of those things are home-made, you have to buy them somewhere

Old 01-17-2016, 08:41 AM

5,363 posts, read 3,540,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snootylooter View Post
This is a bit silly and vain, but I don't cut my own hair lol!
no, neither do I, I haven't had a haircut or a shave since 1985!

Old 01-17-2016, 10:53 AM

37,218 posts, read 60,940,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetto View Post
We produce / preserve most of our own food. We produce our own electricity.

I tend the woodstove and chimney.

I have cut my own hair since about 1980, and I cut all of the hair in our family.

We do not have a mortgage, our only debt is a vehicle loan.

We buy around 5% of our livestock feed, the rest is either foraged or gleaned.

We could produce our own heating fuel, but we dont. We buy firewood. We want to shift to solar-thermal soon, so that will reduce how much firewood we consume.

We do not make our own fiber though.

Vehicle maintenance is mostly done through a mechanic.

We are dependent on petroleum for vehicle / tractor fuel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness