Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2016, 03:50 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,487,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
But it is so much easier to look down one's sanctimonious nose at the little people......
No one on this board is looking down their noses at anybody. We put out suggestions to try to help as many open-minded individuals as possible. But if these so-called "little people" are walking around with the latest iPhones and have Wi-Fi and cable TV at home, well...there are at least 2 of us regulars here who use flip phones put out by TracFone, and buy minute cards for it at Walmart. In my case, I own no TV and have not watched it in over a decade.

It's all a matter of priorities. This board may not be for everyone. You have stumbled upon a group of preparedness-minded individuals who tend to live very frugally and save a great deal of their incomes. We tend to live in remote or rural areas. We are not government-dependent. If this does not fit your philosophy or lifestyle, that is fine.

But please don't come here to tell us we are all wrong, because some financially-challenged people can't or don't want to change their ways. They may need financial counseling. We are always happy to offer low-cost solutions, but our way of life is not "wrong".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2016, 03:55 PM

2,218 posts, read 3,453,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetto View Post
Exactly! This is a blip on the radar, nothing more. After the walloping we got a couple of years ago (36 inches at my house) I welcome 6-12 inches. Piece of cake.
"6 to 12" ?? Here in the Richmond/DC area, they are saying 24-30" So, no..it isnt a blip.

I do hope that folks will understand that there may be power outages due to the high winds predicted. Hope folks fill up with gas too. If power goes out, so do gas pumps.

But I do completly agree that folks need to prepare themselves with food, batteries, water and meds.

Old 01-20-2016, 04:12 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,487,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightAttendant View Post
"6 to 12" ?? Here in the Richmond/DC area, they are saying 24-30"

Last winter we got socked with 36 in, then 30 in within 3 days, another 20 in a couple days later... and this continued for a couple of months, till there was literally no place to put the snow! And not just in Maine; our two grown daughters live in RI, and they got even more!

So far this winter, we haven't yet got a total of a foot. Down in RI, they've had nothing so far, other than flurries. Clearly, we are overdue here in New England! I am in RI for a couple days, to help one of the daughters get some work done before the storm, then will head home to Maine.

It's all in the normal course of a New England winter!

Old 01-20-2016, 04:50 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,730,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
The point I was trying to make is that with modern satellite tracking and computer modeling we have plenty of advance notice about adverse events. New Orleans had a solid 3 days of warning. The same with Sandy. It wasn't a surprise to anyone. They told people to evacuate. They told people to head for high ground away from the water. People refuse to take the appropriate survival actions.

Yes, a snow storm is trivial. Maybe the power goes out. Maybe you can't go anywhere for a few days. Would it kill people to get their prescriptions refilled, grab some extra cash and have some backup heat? 24 hours of baby formula in the house is not an appropriate response to an adverse weather forecast, but I was in Kearney, Nebraska once when a woman tried to walk 6 blocks to get milk for her baby, without adequate winter gear. She died. Yes, it was a particularly brutal storm, but there were storm warnings on radio and TV for 2 days before it hit.
They also told us the same thing during Irene. Many of my neighbors particularly those on the beach, did evacuate. It was a dud. But before they got home some enterprising people looted many of the empty homes. So next time around, they stayed put. OTOH, I do not know a single person who was unprepared for Sandy. Sure there were a few special folks on the TV but that vast majority of us prepared for DAYS in advance.

Old 01-20-2016, 05:03 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,730,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
OK, now it's 2 days in advance and they are predicting Hurricane level storm surge as well as up to 3' of snow in some areas. Of course, after Sandy most of the low lying houses are gone, but there are probably still some die hard squatters on the coast who will get trapped by the snow and will have to be rescued.

Blizzard Jonas' storm surge could cause record flooding.

It will be interesting to see if people's preparations are commensurate with the conditions they will face this weekend.
You really should stick to the meterologists weather predictions.

NWS is calling for 7.5 to 8ft over MLLW. Considering our spring tide is typically 4-6ft above MLLW that isn't what I (only an oceanographer) would call "Hurricane level" storm surge. FYI, during Sandy the Sandy Hook tide gauge read a SWH (significant wave height) of 32 some odd feet above MLLW. Even with waves this Noreaster is not going to be even close to that, and calling it a blizzard when we will have wind speeds top out at 15-25 kts gust maybe 35 is a stretch.

Coastal forecast National Weather Service Watch Warning Advisory Summary

Marine
National Weather Service Watch Warning Advisory Summary

Old 01-20-2016, 05:33 PM

1,623 posts, read 1,724,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
'Zackly. No big deal. I have a few cases of bottled water on hand, extra food, can make bread as needed, wood stove for heat...just common sense, power goes out all the time here and it's not unusual to get big snowfalls (and snow removal sucks). I don't really call that 'prepping', it's just 'business as usual' to be ready and expect unexpected [relatively] short-term events to make travel difficult and experience temporary losses of 'modern conveniences'.

I have arranged to have 6 month + supplies of prescription meds on hand for BP and other chronic ailments, and I'm well stocked with heavy-duty pain-killers obtained from a variety of sources.

Maybe people like that *should* get Darwined?

People like you in such poor health WILL BE DARWINED. That is the very meaning of your statement.

Old 01-20-2016, 06:24 PM

15,971 posts, read 9,384,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Not everyone drinks pop like that, we don't and would not have those bottles available
Oh, for crying out loud. If someone asked you to get in your car and drive somewhere, do you tell them "No. I can't do that. I drive a van." ??

Ok. Anything that's clean and holds freaking water.

That's obviously the point OP was making.

Old 01-21-2016, 02:47 AM

3,727 posts, read 7,033,924 times
Seriously, people, it's a bad snowstorm in areas that always get bad snowstorms, with extra concern for flooding. We know what to do and those who are physically able to will prepare. People in low-lying areas may evacuate if they feel it's in their best interest. The rest of us will try to help the elderly and infirm.

Perhaps someone will die due to unforeseen circumstances, but that is a risk that we take here and is pretty rare. We may lose power and that's what batteries and blankets are for. I might run out of milk. No biggie.

I swear that some of the people on this board salivate and get hard-ons over the idea of massive amounts of people dying in a disaster. Sick bastards.

Old 01-21-2016, 02:55 AM

5,407 posts, read 3,600,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChistorygal View Post
Seriously, people, it's a bad snowstorm in areas that always get bad snowstorms, with extra concern for flooding. We know what to do and those who are physically able to will prepare. People in low-lying areas may evacuate if they feel it's in their best interest. The rest of us will try to help the elderly and infirm.

Perhaps someone will die due to unforeseen circumstances, but that is a risk that we take here and is pretty rare. We may lose power and that's what batteries and blankets are for. I might run out of milk. No biggie.

I swear that some of the people on this board salivate and get hard-ons over the idea of massive amounts of people dying in a disaster. Sick bastards.
your talking about a bit of bad weather, when I talk of a disaster i'm thinking of the Asian Tsunami where people did die, the mudslides and flooding in China where people did die, the Japanese nuclear disaster, Chernobyl, The Twin Towers....lots of people died then. a bit of bad weather is nothing compared to these and other sorts of disasters, but all some people can focus on is a bit of bad weather and nothing more, its sad really.

Old 01-21-2016, 03:34 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,681,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
your talking about a bit of bad weather, when I talk of a disaster i'm thinking of the Asian Tsunami where people did die, the mudslides and flooding in China where people did die, the Japanese nuclear disaster, Chernobyl, The Twin Towers....lots of people died then. a bit of bad weather is nothing compared to these and other sorts of disasters, but all some people can focus on is a bit of bad weather and nothing more, its sad really.
That "bit of bad weather" is what causes mudslides and flooding. If a cosmic disaster decides to hit, you are toast anyway. The things you can deal with on a human scale are disasters you can reasonably extrapolate in your area and prepare for. A subduction zone quake and the associated tsunami is going to kill a lot of people, prepared or not. Japan had spent decades preparing, and mother earth killed a lot of people anyway.

Some people refuse to engage reality, and spend their time fantasizing about some improbable catastrophe that is impossible to prep for. If Yellowstone erupts, it will depopulate 1/3 of North America. You can fantasize about that all you want, but you are more likely to die because you neglected to buy snow tires in advance of that "bit of weather."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness