Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2016, 09:56 PM

1,081 posts, read 548,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
when there is an emergency or catastrophe:
1. The ANTI prepper who will deny anything is wrong right up until a nuke flattens their house.
2. The NON prepper who will just be scared stiff and panic.
3. The prepper who will utilise any time left wisely and productively as possible.

#1 This guy didn't need to prep (nor did his neighbors, or their neighbors, or their neighbors...) The nuke flattened their houses. Those that didn't get a nuke will join group #2 or maybe even lead them.

#2 Becomes the sheep. They will follow anyone who leads. That will probably be the UPS guy who dropped off all that stuff you ordered from Amazon. He knows where the goods are. He just needs to get a herd going before he comes and visits you.

#3 He's the guy that spent lots of resources (time, energy, etc...) getting ready for SHTF. If he didn't build it himself or buy it two towns over, someone will have taken notice of it. They'll eventually get hungry enough to gather up some #2 people and pay him a visit. Hopefully, when the herd shows up, they won't find his stash or burn down his place trying to get at it. There is nothing like a mob, gasoline, and torches to screw up a perfectly good prep.

As for me...

#1 I doubt I'll know before the nukes fall (or even after unless its close enough to blow my hair back.) I can't really expect the government to tell me before things get ugly or after. Whatever SHTF is, it will look like a power outage right up until two weeks after... or I figure out that the power isn't coming back on.
#2 A week after the cessation of communications, power, et al... I'll be worried about long term sanitation and health while hoping the herd doesn't show up on my doorstep.
#3 The UPS man has already made comments...

For those of you who moved out to the middle of nowhere, I hope the herd never finds you. I wish you success. I can't join you because I'm betting on needing that pesky defibrillator in the ambulance and cardiovascular surgeon at the nearby hospital long before SHTF.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2016, 02:02 AM

5,407 posts, read 3,601,746 times
you are giving people who don't prepare way too much credit, the only thing most of them will do is panic.
having a supply of readily available emergency food enables us to hunker down and wait out the storm, something unprepared people will be unable to do.
i'll readily admit if someone lives in a large urban centre then they are going to have a problem with looters and thieves, that's why most of us don't live in large urban centres.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness