Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2016, 05:12 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,171,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ognend View Post
Look in the SW corner of VA- area around the National forests (between Roanoke and down to Blacksburg and down). Blacksburg has a university (a good one) and hence doctors and services. You could be 20 miles out and be in the middle of nothing. Watch for water table pollution due to fracking and coal mining industries. Further down there is also an issue with Christmas farms runoff. A good area in general to homestead. Roanoke is large town and gentrified so if you wanted to be an organic farmer - it would be a good market to make a living.
I love the Shenandoah Valley and southwestern VA. If I was going to move somewhere south, it would probably be there. It's not as wildly beautiful as West Virginia or East Tennessee but it's better for farming, has better connections to other places, ie not so isolated, and just has more amenities IMO. Lots of pretty little towns and small cities. It also seems to have less poverty, or maybe, less pervasive poverty than East Tennessee or West Virginia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2016, 05:15 PM

7,487 posts, read 10,460,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movintime View Post
... according to guys I listen on the patriot radio.
Excuse me for pointing this out, but I think a lot of your problem is right there.

There's nothing wrong with listening to a favorite radio program. But it's not such a good idea to let a radio host make your decisions for you. Yes, some of them think the Redoubt area is the best of all. They are entitled to their opinion. But you are taking this stuff as gospel.

As I recall, the recommended a certain brand of radio as well, and you spent over a week agonizing over which radio to buy, asking us if one brand was better than another, only to end up buying the brand that this patriot program guy recommended. Now you are doing the same thing with where to buy a place. Lots of great suggestions have been made, but there's always some problem with all of them...because they're not what the patriot radio guy recommends.

I think you should learn to make your own decisions, and be more independent. Nothing wrong with asking for our opinions, but if you've made up your mind to do whatever this patriot radio guy suggests, go for it. You don't need our rubber stamp of approval. Please remember that what works for one person, does not always turn out best for another. Who is this radio guy, anyway, that you are so convinced has all the "right" answers for you?

Time for a little soul-searching. Do our opinions really matter to you? Why is there always something "wrong" with our suggestions, while what the patriot radio guy says is always the ultimate best advice? Maybe it isn't. Maybe the best advice for you is what you already know in your heart and soul, is the best decision for you. Think about it.

Old 01-23-2016, 08:06 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,575,074 times
Nor, sage advice & most welcome. I listen to John Jacob Schmidt on Spokane radio online on Sat morn @ 11am (PST), & it is 1 hr live broadcast on Christian Radio station in Spokane. I'm in AZ but nonetheless listen weekly. He has podcasts stored so you can recatch them after they're done live. Go to his website, google about "radio free redoubt" areas & hear him if you want. I think he tells as it is well.

Ok, I appreciate your info & no worries I listen to advice as new (just this tail end '15) to this stuff so go easy on me, haha, as trying to sort out my own way by seeing ideas from others. I respect all here's opinions & sorry if it came off as not.

Please continue helping us, all those of you who have more experience already -- & even if I don't need/benefit from it someone here will -- & this is WHY this forum exists.

We ALL help each other & you all are always kind to those like us that are rookies but trying.

I was always told: if you listen to everyone you'll be surprised how much info you'll learn, that'll help your own life. A closed mind is stunted, an open one is overflowing.

Old 01-23-2016, 08:35 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,562,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movintime View Post
I was always told: if you listen to everyone you'll be surprised how much info you'll learn, that'll help your own life. A closed mind is stunted, an open one is overflowing.
You can't listen to everyone or read everything. There's simply too much available. There is no American redoubt. There is only the redoubt you make yourself.

Yu do need a loyal and trustworthy wife.. You can't succeed in an uncommitted relationship. If you cannot commit to your girlfriend or she won't commit to you, get rid of her and find a good woman. I know that my life wouldn't have worked without my wife.

Old 01-24-2016, 12:58 AM

7,487 posts, read 10,460,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post

Yu do need a loyal and trustworthy wife.. You can't succeed in an uncommitted relationship. If you cannot commit to your girlfriend or she won't commit to you, get rid of her and find a good woman. I know that my life wouldn't have worked without my wife.
Boy, is this ever true! I would never have accomplished anything in this life, if not for my wife standing right beside me, as she has! My life was aimless before she took it over. I give her credit for all I've done, all that we have, and all that I've learned. If you are in your 50s and just now looking for a place to put down roots, your first stop should be the altar.

HiW is spot on - if she won't marry you, find one that will!

Old 06-15-2016, 08:16 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,575,074 times
Revisiting here.

But w/ huge money buying land in Redoubt turf its getting harder to cash buy. Bids are huge & unless a retiree is a doc/lawyer/Indian Chief you're gonna be outbid.

So, gotta move fast & Maine still compels -- as the west may be smoke n mirrors when the real SHTF comes. Who knows.

But... Nor & HiW, kudos you both for all sage additions here.

Old 06-16-2016, 05:19 AM

1,168 posts, read 1,222,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Much of west Texas does not have building codes. You can build what you like. Land is cheap, there is ground water in most places, so you can have a garden etc. We get lots of sunshine and the winters aren't too cold so you can off grid. Its a great place to be left alone. Biggest problem would be internet service. But I would think anything remote without building codes is also going to be hard to find internet service.
There is satellite internet and even cellular works in most places.

Old 06-16-2016, 06:07 AM

37,331 posts, read 61,161,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe33 View Post
There is satellite internet and even cellular works in most places.
Around here the cell phones work alongside the interstate. Verizon put up towers about every 5 miles all along the interstate, so if you stay within a couple miles to either side of the interstate you can get good signal.

The interest runs North/South right through the center of our township. But towns to our West or East do not have towers, nor cell signal. The majority of townships in this state lack interstate and they lack cell signal.

Old 06-16-2016, 06:39 AM

1,168 posts, read 1,222,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Around here the cell phones work alongside the interstate. Verizon put up towers about every 5 miles all along the interstate, so if you stay within a couple miles to either side of the interstate you can get good signal.

The interest runs North/South right through the center of our township. But towns to our West or East do not have towers, nor cell signal. The majority of townships in this state lack interstate and they lack cell signal.
Part of my business is SCADA communications. I use Cellular a lot in remote areas. Even in Wyoming I rarely have difficulty finding a 4G LTE connection. It may require a higher antenna or a booster but it is there.

Old 06-16-2016, 10:13 AM

37,331 posts, read 61,161,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe33 View Post
Part of my business is SCADA communications. I use Cellular a lot in remote areas. Even in Wyoming I rarely have difficulty finding a 4G LTE connection. It may require a higher antenna or a booster but it is there.
I have no idea of how close together cell towers are in Wyoming. Around here as you travel away from the interstate you lose signal. When you go 2 or 3 townships away from the interstate, there is no signal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness