Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2016, 06:08 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,612,356 times

Advertisements

We've been battling here in AZ w/ ideas of where would be THE best of the best as far as setup initially. I vote N. ID or NW MT but folks here think anywhere west of Mississippi river is fine. I differ thinking it is WY, ID, MT, eastern WA & eastern OR, only.

Can anyone offer more advice as to where & why you'd choose, if you could move almost anywhere in the US? I am in AZ & we think the upper plains or Pac NW is best but getting random ideas all over -- & I know back east w/ nuclear plants, etc. this doesn't seem best for sure. Plus most people live there so concentration of sheer numbers of folks, (should SHTF occur) will cause that of food, resources, etc. to be scare too fast, yes?

Ok, sorry to ask such a general thread topic yet it is so hard to get decent ideas that at least are in concert w/ most people. It is so all over & random, that folks make a case from FL to ME & AK to CA.

Surely, these areas all can't be equally optimal -- should SHTF really even remotely come close to occurring. Thanks again for putting up w/ my question but really frustrated trying to zero in on a goal to focus on for the upcoming near future.

PS - I can't stand AZ though for many reasons, so I know many will say stay but I'm ok w/ cooler/colder weather, & so growing up in the N. east originally I have no prob w/ ice & snow, etc. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2016, 10:33 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,936,058 times
How about somewhere in Alabama? You have warm climates all year round, fertile farmland, and you dont suffer droughts.

Old 01-29-2016, 11:14 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,303,298 times
Catron County New Mexico is pretty cool. Very remote, more elk than people. Water could be an issue depending in where. They have land that is so remote that it scares people to go out and look at it . High elevation, pine trees, something like 93% (don't quote me) of the land is either national forest or BLM land. I wouldn't mind owning some remote property there.

If you like Northern Idaho and Montana then bring money. Whenever I browse at land there, they seem to be asking ridiculous prices for seasonal access, beetle killed forest.

Colorado, Northern Idaho, the good spots in Wyoming and Montana have long been bought up and sold. You now have the privilege of paying a premium price for the scrap left overs that no one really wanted.

Wherever you decide, the best place to be when teotwawki occurs is the place where you've been able to make the most money while setting up your homestead. Setting up a nice property is far from cheap, but I don't know your financial situation.

Old 01-29-2016, 11:23 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,949,132 times
If you can't stand AZ, wait until you move somewhere else!

You want to know the "best" place in the country to wait for the end of the world?

Colorado City, AZ - yes, home to the Warren Jeff's FLDS polygamy sect of the Mormon church.

Colorado City is an impregnable fortress. It sits south of a huge escarpment that runs for a hundred miles. To the south about 30 miles is the grand canyon. There is no way in that can't be controlled by a handful of soldiers. The land is somewhat fertile, there is water, it is temperate, there are canyons that nobody could find you in for years.

St.George, UT is pretty good too. Hotter than blazes in the summer though. There are no outsiders getting in after TSHTF. Even though Vegas is only 2 hours away, the access is one skinny pass at the Virgin river (Cliven Bundy territory) the rest is uncrossable desert and mountains to the south and west. To the north and east are passes that a few soldiers and tanks could block an army. An ya think maybe the Mormons have a contingency plan for the apocalypse? They won't be eating each other for at least a year I can tell you that!

Last edited by jamies; 01-29-2016 at 11:59 PM..

Old 01-29-2016, 11:31 PM

19,021 posts, read 14,198,297 times
My personal favorite is in the southern end of the Appalachians - Great Smoky mountains.
When TEOTWAWKI hits, relatively safe from MZBGs.
Hydropower (TVA) is a big plus.
If near a rail right of way, active or abandoned, is a bonus, since rail will resume its place as the premier form of land transport.
. . .
However, due to lack of local jobs (due to money drought) things may look bad. But if you can transcend money and get into barter, you can prosper without having money.

Old 01-29-2016, 11:55 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,485,774 times
Must we go through all this again??? This has been discussed in the Maine forum and here (and who knows where else) already, ad nauseum. The OP is simply not interested in anywhere but the Redoubt states, as he listens to some patriot radio program, where they have convinced him that it's the ONLY place.

OP, why don't you take a trip up to ID-MT-WY area and have a look around. Better yet, until spring sets in, why not go over to those respective state forums here on CD, and discuss particulars with those residents of said states?

Because nothing anybody posts here is going to change your opinion one iota. Not trying to give anybody a hard time...but how many times do we have to beat a dead horse? You already know what you want, so go for it.

Old 01-30-2016, 12:17 AM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,083,430 times
The OP is not serious anyway....because anyone that is serious about being prepared for this hypothetical scenario knows that AZ isn't all desert.

Besides, the desert areas were long ago inhabitated by the real natives.....sheesh....the canal system in the Phoenix area was built on top of the original one. God bless the Hohokam et al....

Not to mention a year 'round growing season and one helluva an aquifier....(gotta dig deep sometimes.)

Old 01-30-2016, 12:33 AM

17,874 posts, read 15,936,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
My personal favorite is in the southern end of the Appalachians - Great Smoky mountains.
When TEOTWAWKI hits, relatively safe from MZBGs.
Hydropower (TVA) is a big plus.
If near a rail right of way, active or abandoned, is a bonus, since rail will resume its place as the premier form of land transport.
. . .
However, due to lack of local jobs (due to money drought) things may look bad. But if you can transcend money and get into barter, you can prosper without having money.
Local jobs wont matter if TEOTWAWKI happens

Old 01-30-2016, 06:41 AM

2,878 posts, read 4,631,163 times
If you go to a VERY remote area - be prepared for VERY HIGH living expenses. Everything costs double or triple, you have to drive everywhere to get anything (yes, Amazon Prime is your friend but you will still need things like building materials etc.). If you are used to hopping into the car to go to the grocery store 'cause you forgot something - it will be a big adjustment....

A small family can survive ANYWHERE, desert, freezing cold, whatever. This includes keeping a cow, a few horses, chickens etc. The question is - do you have enough money to live remotely and do you have the stamina to do so longer than 6 months (after the sense of adventure wears off)?

Old 01-30-2016, 08:09 AM

51,649 posts, read 25,803,785 times
Every spot is going to have its pluses and minuses.

If cold doesn't bother you, head on up to Alaska. All sorts of people up there going to be just fine whether the SHTF, TEOTWAWKI, or it's just another year. Self-sufficiency is a way of life for many,Alaskans, not just something they talk about on C-D forums and at survival workshops.

You find a job on the North Slope or a fishing boat or ?? where you make a boatload of money working part of the year and then use the rest of the year to get your homestead set up, get to know the neighbors, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness