Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2016, 12:56 PM

6,753 posts, read 8,543,304 times

Advertisements

Doing some surfing, found this interesting site, Archive.org. Lots of out of print books there if you have the title.

I thought this one fit in nicely with Self Sufficiency, and although it was written back in the 1930's, it has some good information.

https://archive.org/stream/The_Owner...e/n13/mode/2up

As an added plus, it doesn't cost anything to read
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2016, 01:11 PM

3,671 posts, read 3,536,733 times
Thanks MT. I love reading through these old homesteader books, and have some of my own.

Old 02-02-2016, 01:28 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,462,072 times
I recall reading that book, back in the 1970s before I was married. It would be good for a re-read, but then, I already have an "owner-built homestead"!

Seriously, though, there's another slim booklet that belongs in every homesteader's library, "The Have-More Plan - A Little Land, A Lot of Living", by Ed and Carolyn Robinson:

Robot Check (This link is good)

Lots of great information packed into this little paperback, from oh, 1942 I think! You know, back when people really worked hard and didn't know the meaning of "can't".

Old 02-02-2016, 02:13 PM

3,100 posts, read 2,048,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
Doing some surfing, found this interesting site, Archive.org. Lots of out of print books there if you have the title.
You can search the library by keyword(s) too. I've spent a lot of time there.

Just look for the search icon.

Quote:
I thought this one fit in nicely with Self Sufficiency, and although it was written back in the 1930's, it has some good information.

https://archive.org/stream/The_Owner...e/n13/mode/2up
It says 1974?

Old 02-02-2016, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
I recall reading that book, back in the 1970s before I was married.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
It says 1974?
No wonder I recall reading it in the 1970s!

Old 02-02-2016, 03:01 PM

Sorry, the author grew up on a homestead in the 1930s, read the bio wrong

Old 02-02-2016, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
Sorry, the author grew up on a homestead in the 1930s, read the bio wrong
That's OK! A good book is a good book, no matter when it was published!

Besides, that's an old book, to any CDer who's younger than 42!

Old 02-02-2016, 08:57 PM

1,664 posts, read 3,948,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
Seriously, though, there's another slim booklet that belongs in every homesteader's library, "The Have-More Plan - A Little Land, A Lot of Living", by Ed and Carolyn Robinson:
Robot Check (This link is good)
Lots of great information packed into this little paperback, from oh, 1942 I think! You know, back when people really worked hard and didn't know the meaning of "can't".

And, those hard workers died in their mid-Forties! Yep, had quite a few relatives that fit that profile. Hopefully, things can be better nowadays for Self-Sufficient folk. Work smarter, not harder?

This thread and topic is very fascinating. Does Northern California ( north of Sacramento and Santa Rosa) meet the standards for true self-sufficient living? It appears to be pretty empty, good climate and yet away from major population zones?

Old 02-02-2016, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Trails View Post
And, those hard workers died in their mid-Forties! Yep, had quite a few relatives that fit that profile. Hopefully, things can be better nowadays for Self-Sufficient folk. Work smarter, not harder?
Ed Robinson lived well into his 70s or 80s (look him up) and was active and productive well into his senior years!

Old 02-03-2016, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Trails View Post

This thread and topic is very fascinating. Does Northern California ( north of Sacramento and Santa Rosa) meet the standards for true self-sufficient living? It appears to be pretty empty, good climate and yet away from major population zones?
My GG-Grandfather lived to 89 and my G-Grandfather lived until 87 homesteading. If you go back further, one of my ancestors that fought in the Revolution died at 32 when he fell off of a dam during a flood. When your time's up, it's up whether you're doing hard physical labor or not paying attention crossing a street.

Land is land, you just have to decide if it can meet your needs. Is the climate right for the crops you want to raise? Is there timber or stone or clay for building? Is there enough water for you, your crops and livestock?
Are there predators that endanger your stock, or runoff that could kill your crops? Is the piece of land large enough to do what you want?

Lots of factors, the where isn't as important as the production capability of the land and how much labor you are willing to invest.

There is good land just about everywhere for self sufficiency, some has more to offer than other places, but while I haven't been there, from what I've seen and heard, the state of Jefferson looks like it would be a pretty good area to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness