Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2016, 12:59 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,607,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snootylooter View Post
When I first started reading Rawles "Survival Blog" years ago I was convinced that I needed to be in the "American Redoubt" area. He had lots of property listed on his "Survival Realty" link and a lot of it was reasonably priced. Not any more - the prices have gone up & up and several of his listings are well over $1mil+. Now, I don' believe preppers are responsible for driving up the prices (lol!) but it does make the famous "Redoubt" less attainable for many. Also, I don't think it is the "end all/be all" place to be safe, self-sufficient, and to find like-minded folks. I'll go so far as to say that any of our 50 states have an area that would fit the bill. Some places better than others, of course, but I refuse to believe that the only place to be a credible & responsible prepper and be safe is in Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, eastern Oregon, and eastern Washington. Maine & Michigan have as much to offer as Montana, for example. Attitude, commitment, belief, and action are more important than your GPS coordinates.
Ha, perfectly said -- & reading my mind.

I agree w/ prices way hi, as I'm not a millionaire, haha. But I like concept of it, & many tiny homes are in parts of MT or ID -- & seem a good deal even under 100K. At least then, you're IN the 5 states, psychologically, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2016, 03:09 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,481,472 times
Just because I was curious I did a little looking at real estate listings in Montana. The prices I'm seeing for extremely rural locations aren't cheap but not really much if any worse than what prices are like in Vermont. You could find cheaper land in places like Maine but there are differences between the culture and laws in Maine and Montana. I'd do some travelling and exploring before I bought. I know for me that if I left northern New England permanently it would be to Alaska, no where in the lower 48. But that's just me and my feelings on the water and wildfire issues in the West more than anything else. Get out and explore the country and see what part you like best, we have such diversity in this country as far as climate and landscape goes, from tropics to the Arctic, swamps to mountains, forests to deserts.

Old 02-15-2016, 04:44 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,607,688 times
TY, Artic, v. much. Yes, Maine a bit cheaper & a great option for east coasters but if SHTF -- all folk from the mid-Atl. states thru N. Eng. will swarm it.

& you can't go higher than Canada border -- unless folks think they'll go there. But this is worst case -- not normal daily living -- yet.

Further adding that Idaho, MT & WY are far more right-wingish than Maine. S. ME is all blue, & at least like-minded folks are out west. This is the whole deal w Patriot beliefs & at least trying to remain the US -- despite the gov't chaos -- not on our way to Columbia, haha, but it isn't funny.

Last edited by movintime; 02-15-2016 at 05:00 PM..

Old 02-15-2016, 11:39 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,944,809 times
I don't want to let a secret out, but anybody here ever looked around Elko, NV up in the Ruby mtn area? It's far enough from the Yellowstone Caldera to not be in the hole. Anyone from cities would have to cross hundreds of miles of desert to get there. Hotter than hll in the summer and colder than a witches t-- in the winter. But wide open, relatively cheap and an interstate to bring fresh meat.

Old 02-16-2016, 06:18 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,482,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movintime View Post
Yes, Maine a bit cheaper & a great option for east coasters but if SHTF -- all folk from the mid-Atl. states thru N. Eng. will swarm it....Further adding that Idaho, MT & WY are far more right-wingish than Maine. S. ME is all blue
WTH....?? Where are you getting these wacky ideas from?? Of course southern Maine is all blue - it's all cities! You'll find the same thing in nearly all urban areas of the west. Southern Maine is "greater Boston" - no further explanation needed. Piscataquis County, where I live is RED, not blue!

East coast folk will NOT swarm Maine. Too cold up there, they think. Anyone who goes up there will head for the cities in the southern part, or go up the coast a bit. They won't go to "northern Maine", as there's nothing there for them. Once you cross the Maine border, it takes 4 HOURS of monotonous driving to get to where we live.

In contrast, look at the situation in Missoula and Helena MT, where they are planning to resettle 10,000 refugees (like the ones in Europe) against the will of the people, and this looks like a freight train that cannot be stopped. They will be moving them into rural areas as well as urban. Be careful what you wish for!

Old 02-16-2016, 07:05 AM

6,756 posts, read 8,573,379 times
IF they bring in the "refugees" here, (and they are not welcome), they would go to Missoula. There are already protests against them coming in all across the state.

Missoula is Berkley North, a liberal black hole, so they would fit right in there.

The rest of the state doesn't want them even with our current obamabot as governor, he's running for re-election this year and bringing them in would sink his campaign faster than the Titanic went down.

Old 02-16-2016, 06:41 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,481,472 times
I spent two days of my life in Missoula last summer due to work and that was two days too many. What horrendous traffic and road layout, and the least friendly people I've ever met in the West were there. No one even remotely like the OP would want to be there. Montana is a big state though and Missoula is a small part of it by area. Even if they let those refugees in I don't think most of Montana would be impacted.

I also disagree about Maine getting swarmed. Get into northern Maine and you can be miles and miles up dirt logging roads most city dwellers running away from home wouldn't make it to (consider knowledge of the area needed to get anywhere, gas required and the type of vehicle needed). Northern Maine is a different world than southern Maine. Different culture, different people. It's like if you lump the Northeast Kingdom of Vermont in with Burlington, they're different worlds. There are only two paved roads between my property and the Canadian border north of it. Vast bogs and mountains and forests to get lost in if you aren't from the area. And the truly backwoods areas are avoided by most urbanites. The biggest problems I have with Maine are the ballot referendums and the ban on Sunday hunting, otherwise it would be a no brainer to me to live there, but to a "prepper" type I don't think they're too relevant. They wouldn't stop me from living there either but things worked out differently.

Old 02-17-2016, 07:49 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,301,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
I don't want to let a secret out, but anybody here ever looked around Elko, NV up in the Ruby mtn area? It's far enough from the Yellowstone Caldera to not be in the hole. Anyone from cities would have to cross hundreds of miles of desert to get there. Hotter than hll in the summer and colder than a witches t-- in the winter. But wide open, relatively cheap and an interstate to bring fresh meat.
I'm not a fan of Elko, or interstates. However "nearby" Jarbridge, NV is a pretty cool "town" and possibly my favorite in Nevada, which is an under rated state IMO. Eureka, NV is also pretty cool, with cheap land and relatively shallow wells in certain areas. I could also possibly live in the Ely area. The Great Basin national park has some of the darkest night skies in the US where satellites can be visible with the naked eye.

Noreastah and Submariner on here make Maine sound like an organic farmers backwoods utopia and the some of the more remote land is among of the cheapest I have seen anywhere. If I ever have to leave Alaska, maine would be on my list of places to check out. I don't believe you'll see any golden hordes from the city fleeing to the woods anywhere. They will all stay put and wait for assistance.

Old 02-18-2016, 12:28 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,482,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
Noreastah and Submariner on here make Maine sound like an organic farmers backwoods utopia and the some of the more remote land is among of the cheapest I have seen anywhere. If I ever have to leave Alaska, maine would be on my list of places to check out. I don't believe you'll see any golden hordes from the city fleeing to the woods anywhere. They will all stay put and wait for assistance.
Northern Maine IS "an organic farmer's backwoods utopia". As a kid, I spent my summers in Maine with my uncle. Even so, I was blown away by how much there is to the state, how many highway hours it takes to travel to the remoter regions - and how much of it is "remoter regions".

Maine is the last frontier on the east coast, the last bastion of freedom, solitude, and privacy on the east coast. Urban hordes would get lost up there. And I agree about city dwellers staying put.

At some point, people have to get realistic about gas availability to travel all those hours and miles, and for what? To end up in the wilderness, with an empty fuel tank? Nobody's going to northern Maine!

Old 02-18-2016, 02:53 PM

2,234 posts, read 3,318,562 times
I think that the people that think that Northern Maine will not have any refugees from the most populated area of the country, approximately 120 million within 300 miles to the South is a fantasy. The first reason that I think that it is a faulty thought is if I lived in NYC the first place I would go is Maine and then Northern Maine. If even 5% think like me then that would be 7.5 million people heading North.

On another forum, several people that live in the Baltimore area are talking about Northern Maine as a destination when SHTF. In fact Northern Maine is the only destination I have heard of for people living in those areas. They are going to avoid all the jammed roads to the West and the South and go North. A few have boats and they are going to Maine.

When the news that the towns to the South are suffering the same as were they are it would be natural to go away from that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness