Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2016, 07:27 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,581,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
Don't think we've discussed this topic. What kind of lighting do you use, what about innovative ideas? How do you apply them?

I'll start with some of my favorites.

I have a couple of lights that clip to the brim of a cap. One is white, one is green. The green light doesn't seem to hurt your night vision too much. I'd like one in red but can't find one. Cheap headlamps, about $10.

Headlamps. We have a couple of headlamps. Mine is a black diamond brand with white and red lights.

Mag lights, several, D, AA, AAA. The Ds are led. I keep one in my truck.

I also have a bunch of cheap little led lights I got as "swag" at a convention. I clip them on keyrings.

Kerosene lanterns, the old red mining lamps. You can burn everything from paint thinner to diesil, even kerosene.

I also have a flouscent solar camping light. Until the world ends it's handy for making repairs in dark spaces like attics.

Finally, has anybody made innovative uses of led or solar lighting? Like repurposing garden lamps, etc?
Wait for the sun to come up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2016, 09:26 AM

1,080 posts, read 1,273,502 times
I have used landscape lights indoors and they are OK for everything except to read by. I also have crank flashlights as well as the usual kind; and I inherited some Coleman lanterns and oil lamps. Then, being the kind of person I am, I also have candles!

The more the merrier!

Old 02-29-2016, 12:08 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,578,245 times
While I do have some of the solar yard lights, for the cabin especially I have kerosene lamps that are the primary lighting, Coleman lanterns and crank flashlights for outside, and I also have several of the 100 hour survival candles.

I have a couple of candle lanterns, which work, but not very bright unless you use several for reading or whatever.

The old storm lanterns that can be made out of an old paint can by punching a bunch of holes into it to let the light out but keep the wind from blowing out the candle does work surprisingly well, if a somewhat dim light.

Nice thing about candles and wick lanterns is you can make tallow candles and use other oils for the lanterns, (kudlik or aladdin style) if you can't get kerosene.

I like the crank flashlights as they never need batteries, but they tend to wear out quickly with heavy use. I would like to find one that is heavy duty enough to last for years instead of months.

Old 02-29-2016, 12:32 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,485,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
I like the crank flashlights as they never need batteries, but they tend to wear out quickly with heavy use. I would like to find one that is heavy duty enough to last for years instead of months.
These types of lights don't use replaceable batteries, but they do have a battery inside, which is what you "recharge" when you crank it. When one of them starts to fail on you, pull it apart (as I have done), and you'll see the battery. That dinky battery is the problem.

Amazon and other places sell better rechargeable cells that you can replace it with. The light will then be fine!

Old 02-29-2016, 07:58 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,949,132 times
I have a couple of those "linear inertial" flashlights that you shake back and forth for a couple of minutes and charge up a capacitor that in turn provides a few minutes of dim LED light.

If you get one be sure it is a capacitor style and not one that has an internal battery. Those are worthless after about two years. They seem to be hard to find now. I got mine in 1999 just before the world was supposed to end and all the world's computers were going to rise up and attack us in our sleep.

I guess I better go see if they still work 16 years later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness